Notre Dame . . . .

Big Orange 1

Wait, why do we hate Notre Dame again? I "hate" Notre Dame as much as the next person, but I was thinking about it yesterday and don't know why I would waste any more of my energy hating them. They've played their way to irrelevancy recently, and isn't that what we all wanted?

Notre Dame has a recruiting problem due to the schools admissions. They won't get the stellar football recruits anymore. Hell, look at the decline of players Notre Dame has put into the NFL both in quantitiy and quality.

Guest The Variable

**hangs head**

I dont know why we get ranked every year. It makes no sense.

Notre Dame is NCAA's baby. They'll feed that monster for as long as they can.

My big peeve with ND is their mascot. Didn't the NCAA throw the hammer down on some schools with derogatory nicknames? Seems to me that a fighting irishman isn't the best portrayal....

Guest The Variable
Notre Dame is NCAA's baby. They'll feed that monster for as long as they can.

My big peeve with ND is their mascot. Didn't the NCAA throw the hammer down on some schools with derogatory nicknames? Seems to me that a fighting irishman isn't the best portrayal....

Ever met an Irishman?

I would like to see an Irishman who was offended by the mascot. There are a lot of thin skinned folks of native american decent.

Ever met an Irishman?

I would like to see an Irishman who was offended by the mascot. There are a lot of thin skinned folks of native american decent.

There is probably someone, you know how people are now a days. I think its South Dakota, the NCAA is making them change their nickname but most in the state want to keep it.

Guest The Variable
There is probably someone, you know how people are now a days. I think its South Dakota, the NCAA is making them change their nickname but most in the state want to keep it.

Youre right, there is always someone...and usually they ruin it for everyone.

I dont like the Seminoles, but their name is fine. If anything its an honor to center a team around your heritage. Aside from the occasional "Devils" or "Demons" reference, its not like schools are naming their teams "Rapists" or "War Criminals" or "Pedophiles".

I dont like the Seminoles, but their name is fine. If anything its an honor to center a team around your heritage. Aside from the occasional "Devils" or "Demons" reference, its not like schools are naming their teams "Rapists" or "War Criminals" or "Pedophiles".

That's what I'm saying too. Too many damn sensitive people now a days. Guess they expect every mascot to be a pink teddy bear.

And this, even after the leaders of the Sioux Indian tribe sent letters to the NCAA giving their approval of the use of "Fighting Sioux"...

Guest The Variable
That's what I'm saying too. Too many damn sensitive people now a days. Guess they expect every mascot to be a pink teddy bear.

I know. I was agreeing with you. :)

I don't think it's so bad that they use Native American mascots, it's just how they are often depicted that gets scrutinized. Like the old Cleveland Indian who just looked like a big, red, grinning idiot. There are more tactful ways to represent a group of people. Most do well with it. FSU as an example.

Guest The Variable

Of course, if I was a 1992 Chevy Cavalier, I would be offended that UVA chose to call themselves the Cavaliers...because I would already suffer from a reputation for being a loser. :D

FSU does it well because they consulted with Seminole leaders and historians and accurately portray the tribe.

The most offensive to me is the Washington Redskins. I would feel better about the name if the mascot was a peanut.

FSU does it well because they consulted with Seminole leaders and historians and accurately portray the tribe.

The most offensive to me is the Washington Redskins. I would feel better about the name if the mascot was a peanut.

The Washington Redskins are offensive to themselves.

The Washington Redskins are offensive to themselves.

This is definitely true.

Yeah, I feel dirty whenever I see the Redskins play. It's only half because of their mascot. They offended Native Americans far and wise and all throughout history when they named Grossman their starting quarterback.

Guest The Variable
This is definitely true.

Yeah, I feel dirty whenever I see the Redskins play. It's only half because of their mascot. They offended Native Americans far and wise and all throughout history when they named Grossman their starting quarterback.

whah? sexy rexy? [/sarcasm]

Now entering the field...the Roanoke Rapists!

Cue the Jumbotron: "And I wanna, lick lick lick lick..."

Thanks for this mental image. :)

Odds for Marcus Vick being the starting QB for the Roanoke Rapists. 2:1?

Edited by UVAObserver

Guest The Variable
UVA: 1-0

ND: 0-1

Wait... ;)

AA schools dont count...but I know I dont have any room to talk.

At least my team plays like drunk irishmen.

My favorite offensive named college team is the Idaho Vandals. Nothing like naming your team after a Germanic tribe famous for sacking Rome and whose name is synonymous with the willful destruction of property.