Absolutely Disgusted.

gcdevils47

Guest bigdaddyd50

GC lost 52-0 not 56-0

and colobro built up the program? yeah sure.

GC lost 52-0 not 56-0

and colobro built up the program? yeah sure.

Fry built it, Colobro did his best to keep it on track, and Houseright has for the most part is keeping it there too. We need that Harry Fry mentallity this year.

It's amazing.

Last year the play calling against Gretna in the championship game was brilliant. This year the play calling is costing us games. Same coaches. Amazing.

Completely different team we have this year. Completely different strengths and weaknesses. Remember, you dance with what you brought. (For you Abingdon fans, that means you have to call plays based on your team's strengths and weaknesses.)

Don't forget that we have played some pretty tough teams.

Richlands. Current record 3-0. Average score 31-18.

Harlan County. Current record 3-0. Average score 44-9. #8 ranked team in KY.

Sullivan South. Current record 1-2. Averaging 44 points/game.

I don't think a local team has played a tougher schedule.

Why don't you fans who have a problem with the play calling, call the coaches and schedule a meeting with them to discuss your ideas? That would be more productive, and way less cowardly, than "bad-mouthing" coaches on the internet.

It's amazing.

Last year the play calling against Gretna in the championship game was brilliant. This year the play calling is costing us games. Same coaches. Amazing.

Completely different team we have this year. Completely different strengths and weaknesses. Remember, you dance with what you brought. (For you Abingdon fans, that means you have to call plays based on your team's strengths and weaknesses.)

I gotta agree with you on this. A coach has to go with what he has. The same style offense does not work when a team has completely different style players. If you dont have a good option qb then its not a good idea to run the option. If you have a small front line then its not smart to run fullback trap 30 times a game. If you have a dead duck passing qb and stone hand wide recievers then its not smart to run a spread pass attack but for some reason, alot of coaches in this area cant seem to understand that. Because it worked for dad and grand dad dont always mean its gonna work now. Case in point Phil Robbins. Last time PV went to state he had been running the spread with those young men for 3 years. They had never ran the I formation. Durring the state game Phill switched to the I and Manassas Park beat PV. Just because the I worked for 8 prior state titles doesnt mean that it wsa goin to work for kids who never ran it.

In Gatecity's case, alot of backfield talent was lost from last season and Houseright doesnt seem to be trying to adjust to what he has. Hopefully he will and the Devils will pull out and do better from here on out

If you have a dead duck passing qb and stone hand wide recievers then its not smart to run a spread pass attack but for some reason, alot of coaches in this area cant seem to understand that.

I have yet to understand why alot of local coaches dont get that?

Not trying to beat the Haysi drum but James Colley has been throwing the ball for almost 30 years, with some VERY good QBs and alot of talented WRs and in no way has Haysi ran "the spread". From year to year you just dont have the talent to throw the ball like that and most spread run plays dont translate to the I formation(for example). Its too hard to change offenses every other year. Same as you said UNIONFAN w/ PV going from Spread to I.

It's amazing.

Don't forget that we have played some pretty tough teams.

Richlands. Current record 3-0. Average score 31-18.

Harlan County. Current record 3-0. Average score 44-9. #8 ranked team in KY.

Sullivan South. Current record 1-2. Averaging 44 points/game.

I don't think a local team has played a tougher schedule.

Why don't you fans who have a problem with the play calling, call the coaches and schedule a meeting with them to discuss your ideas? That would be more productive, and way less cowardly, than "bad-mouthing" coaches on the internet.

Like their going to listen? they have their own players screaming at them to throw them the ball and yet they still run it up the middle. Nothing is going to change.

GC is gonna run the offtackle blast until hell freezes over. No matter the talent, they just run the same thing they always have because thats what they have always done.

They have a solid QB and good athletes(I dont know if they can catch) you would think they would open it up some.

GC is gonna run the offtackle blast until hell freezes over. No matter the talent, they just run the same thing they always have because thats what they have always done.

They have a solid QB and good athletes(I dont know if they can catch) you would think they would open it up some.

Exactly, and anyone that has watched us play or has grown up playing through the little league, middle school, and up to the high school program knows that that is all they teach you. They start in little league with little runs up the middle and around the tackles and it just gets a little more complex in middle school, and on up into high school. Sort of like Math you could say. But no matter what it is here to stay and it will not change. Every team we have has athletes that can catch, but it doesn't matter.

I have yet to understand why alot of local coaches dont get that?

Not trying to beat the Haysi drum but James Colley has been throwing the ball for almost 30 years, with some VERY good QBs and alot of talented WRs and in no way has Haysi ran "the spread". From year to year you just dont have the talent to throw the ball like that and most spread run plays dont translate to the I formation(for example). Its too hard to change offenses every other year. Same as you said UNIONFAN w/ PV going from Spread to I.

Most of the time Colley short passes us to death!

Exactly, and anyone that has watched us play or has grown up playing through the little league, middle school, and up to the high school program knows that that is all they teach you. They start in little league with little runs up the middle and around the tackles and it just gets a little more complex in middle school, and on up into high school. Sort of like Math you could say. But no matter what it is here to stay and it will not change. Every team we have has athletes that can catch, but it doesn't matter.

I grew up playing Little League, played in 8th grade (didn't have a Middle School then), and played in High School, AND I have watched us play this year (and every year for the past 30 years). I think I am a little qualified to give my comments.

"They start in little league with little runs up the middle and around the tackles"

Sounds like a very sound and logical approach to teaching the game of football to kids. BTW, where else would you run the ball besides up the middle and around the tackles?

"it just gets a little more complex in middle school,"

Again...that sounds like a very well planned approach. What else should they be doing? BTW, don't we generally have a very successful Middle School program?

"Sort of like Math you could say."

Well.........if you mean learn simpler things first, and then build on them......that sounds like a great plan!

"Every team we have has athletes that can catch, but it doesn't matter"

I'll agree with you here. We very seldom have many speedsters, but always have kids who can catch. We generally throw the ball sparingly...which does make our passing game more effective.

I BELIEVE the problem so far this year has been pass protection. Now we have played some really good teams, but our QB has had to really scramble to even get off most of his pass attempts. I HOPE that will start to change this week. Lebanon will be, by far, the weakest team we have faced. No disrespect to Lebanon. It is just the truth. I'll be real surprised if we don't attempt at least 15 passes. We might even dust off those old screen plays from the past.

Essentially a lot of the complaints are "we are doing the same old thing we have always done".

If you mean teach kids the game of football, build on their football knowledge, help teach them about being part of a team, and be part of one of the most successful football programs in the state of Virginia, then I say keep doing it.

BTW gcdevils47, not trying to pick on you. It just really frustrates me that people get on this message board and lay out the coaches. The same coaches they were probably praising last year.

The coaches ARE NOT losing this year for GC. Right now in all 3 games the better team won, even South who i don't think is very good. (don't think they will win 2 more games) GC has taken a beating physically and on the scoreboard. I think this year was a rebuilding year from the start, and things couldn't have started much worse from an injury standpoint either. I love the effort i see from the kids, they have not quit, and that's the most important factor to me. GC will reap the rewards of this year in the near future, a lot of young kids are getting valuable playing time.

Please don't get too angry, these kids are giving the best they have, it may not be enough for many victories this year. If you still think they should have a better record then name me the coach who could've pulled out a victory this year in any of these games. I too would like to see the occasional pass down the middle, and we did try some. The QB can't even drop back before he is dodging the onrushing defense. I won't ever call out kids by name on a forum because they are just that (kids).

This year GC can still contend for a CMD title, and possibly the playoffs, but this team is just getting started and the GC fans better be prepared for disappointment, you don't have to like it, but you'd best get ready. (i would love to be wrong, as it tears my heart out each Friday too!)

I grew up playing Little League, played in 8th grade (didn't have a Middle School then), and played in High School, AND I have watched us play this year (and every year for the past 30 years). I think I am a little qualified to give my comments.

"They start in little league with little runs up the middle and around the tackles"

Sounds like a very sound and logical approach to teaching the game of football to kids. BTW, where else would you run the ball besides up the middle and around the tackles?

Again...that sounds like a very well planned approach. What else should they be doing? BTW, don't we generally have a very successful Middle School program?

Well.........if you mean learn simpler things first, and then build on them......that sounds like a great plan!

I'll agree with you here. We very seldom have many speedsters, but always have kids who can catch. We generally throw the ball sparingly...which does make our passing game more effective.

I BELIEVE the problem so far this year has been pass protection. Now we have played some really good teams, but our QB has had to really scramble to even get off most of his pass attempts. I HOPE that will start to change this week. Lebanon will be, by far, the weakest team we have faced. No disrespect to Lebanon. It is just the truth. I'll be real surprised if we don't attempt at least 15 passes. We might even dust off those old screen plays from the past.

Essentially a lot of the complaints are "we are doing the same old thing we have always done".

If you mean teach kids the game of football, build on their football knowledge, help teach them about being part of a team, and be part of one of the most successful football programs in the state of Virginia, then I say keep doing it.

BTW gcdevils47, not trying to pick on you. It just really frustrates me that people get on this message board and lay out the coaches. The same coaches they were probably praising last year.

I am in 100% agreement on that. Youth football teaching the basics of what the varsity runs really helps when those kids reach that level. Big stone gap has done that for years and look what it has done for down here. Coaching is an issue that I feel is NOT all of the problem with any team. I do agree that you cant run the same plays over and over and over. Tom turner was the only man i know of that was sucsessful doing that. Coaches need to play to this years team's strengths and not what worked for last year's program andso on. A good coach can put the players he needs into position to win, hints why IMO that Nick Carolburo ( i cant spell haha) and Phill Robbins were as sucsessful as they were. Houseright seems to me has the mentality of beating the ball down the other team's throat (i may be wrong) andthat is all good andwell when you have the kids to do that, but you cant do that if you dont have the kids to pull it off. So IMO its a 50/50 deal. The kids have to perform at top knotch levels and the coachs have to make the adjustments to put the athelets in the right positions

I understand, but my hopes are that some may read this post and realize that it doesn't hurt to try new things.

Well I knew our coach would do like always and not pass to 23 til 2nd half. I really don't understand and am truly disgusted. Because I can say without a doubt Adams play calling has cost us 3 games by not using your play makers.

I understand, but my hopes are that some may read this post and realize that it doesn't hurt to try new things.
Edited by pioneer23fan

Well I knew our coach would do like always and not pass to 23 til 2nd half. I really don't understand and am truly disgusted. Because I can say without a doubt Adams play calling has cost us 3 games by not using your play makers.

I understand, I hope you guys come out alright.