Best in the STATE?

short

Alcoa in TN is also very good. Lost to Maryville during the first game of the year by a field goal I believe. Alcoa defeated Maryville the last two seasons. They were riding a 44 game win streak until Maryville won. Maryville was the 6a state champ in TN last year, while Alcoa has won the last 5 or 6 in 3a.

I would like to see the Phoebus vs Hampton game. I think that both of those games were close last year.

Strange that some of the best teams in the two states are neighbors/rivals.

Alcoa was upset this past week by Austin East 24-7. I just dont know how that happened. http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/inside/schedule.cfm?schoolid=13&seasonid=149&sportid=1&

Could you imagine going to see the TN playoffs?! I'm sure hey aren't all the same class, I think Maryville is like 6A but I mean It'd be like a Union vs Richlands match up every game of the playoffs! Shoot I'd go as far as to say, without any research yet, that Maryville probably plays at least 2 teams that are ranked in the Nation (probably low but still) I'm guessing Alcoa because they are a heck of a program year in and year out and then another team... Just goes to show how population and higher student ratios yield massive football teams with amazing athletes... I heard that Maryville had something like 8 kids sign D1 scholarships! EIGHT kids! Even Tennessee High had 4 kids sign with D1 schools after last year and two of those were to UT.

Right around Maryville you have Knoxville, Sweetwater, and Cookville schools. Not to mention some that we know of real well Oak Ridge (a power house for what seemed to be decades in TN football) Alcoa (which DB is afraid of) and Gatlinburg Pittman. For any team in that general area to go undefeated is a feat in itself, but for a smaller team such as Alcoa to have only lost something like 3 games is 3 seasons is amazing. What is crazy though is that with all those good TN teams VA still sends more kids to college (D1) than TN

Right around Maryville you have Knoxville, Sweetwater, and Cookville schools. Not to mention some that we know of real well Oak Ridge (a power house for what seemed to be decades in TN football) Alcoa (which DB is afraid of) and Gatlinburg Pittman. For any team in that general area to go undefeated is a feat in itself, but for a smaller team such as Alcoa to have only lost something like 3 games is 3 seasons is amazing. What is crazy though is that with all those good TN teams VA still sends more kids to college (D1) than TN

The quality of competition over on the coast is pretty high. Va also has a larger student population in general.

Being from SWVA and now working in the Knoxville area for the past 10 and living here for the past 5, and having a son playing football here I would take SWVA football over TN any day of the week. Their is alot more pad popping and close games in SWVA than in this area, and the fan base is much more stronger in SWVA. The Knoxville area has its three tiers. You have Maryville and Alcoa along with Webb (private school) who usually top their respective classifications then a few teams that make some noise a year or two then go quite for a few. Oak Ridge used to be in the upper tier, but a bad coaching staff nearly destroyed a very proud program. I think they have 9 state titles in what ever the highest class was at that time and they are 6A now. They went from playing in I think 3 straight 5A (which was the highest at the time) championship games (03,04,05?) to only making the playoffs once in the next three years with no wins. They are working their way back now and played Maryville tough in the state simi last year. Farragut, Anderson County, Powell, Austin East, Bearden, Clinton and Fulton have some good teams in cycles, then you have the private schools like CAK, GRACE, Catholic. CAK may just dethrone Alcoa this year in 3A, as they look pretty good early. Powell is the class in 5A currently and have a kid at RB/LB that is the real deal by the name of Mobely. Built much like the Johnson kid at Richlands and has all the tools at RB. He put up 265yds on 21 carries against Oak Ridge in a nail biter last Thursday night. There is a new school only 3 years old called Hardin Valley and they look pretty tough this year and could make some noise in the 6A playoffs with Maryville. Then their is the rest who usually fight for a playoff spot every few years and maybe make a run every 10.

One other thing with TN football vs VA and redtiger eludes to it is student population. Don't let all the A's fool you on enrollment. Best I can tell what ever class a TN school is say 5A in TN would be a division lower in VA so 5A would most likely be Div4. The school my son plays for is 5A and only has between 1200-1300 students.

I was pointing to each schools enrollment as well as overall state population. There are almost a million and a half more people in VA than in TN, that means there are alot more students in VA schools than in TN schools, that accounts for some of the difference in D1 schlorships acquired.

What a time for your 1st post! lol

The 1a through 6a in TN is similar to the Divisions in VA. We have 6 also. TN still only goes to AAA in other sports. Their cutoffs are different than VA I think because VA tries to keep Divisions equal in each Region. Single A is the only ones to have a true cutoff and enforce it in VA. Best I can tell in TN all cutoffs are enforced. But the cutoff numbers are different than VAs. In TN Sullivan South is 5a but going by VA's out of state enrollments they are classified as Division 4 here for points use. The tricky one is Bluefield in WV. They are classified as Division 3 in VA but if they where a VA school they would be Division 2. I think TN High is 5a in TN and classified as D5 in VA. But depending where in VA they would be located they could be a D4 school here. I know I am not 100% right on this but am close. What it all comes down to is the 6a system in TN is similar to the 6 Divisions in VA.

Dobbins Bennitt has more students than any school in VA. Their enrollment 2 years ago ( i havent checked since then) was around 5000 students. Va's biggest is close to 3000. But as was mentioned out east is alot of speed and size. Most of VA college players do come from the coast or richmond.

From what I can find dobyns bennett has 1763 students this year 9 though 12 and they are a 6A Tn school. Not sure exactly on Va's system but I know some eastern schools go as high as 3000 students. DB would be AAA division 5 I think in va. If im wrong on the VA AAA thing let me know

I know this thread is about 'best in the state (VA)' however, since some mention of schools in TN have cropped up, I want to mention Buford, a GA AA school . (BTW, GA will be moving to 6 classifications next year) http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/archives/50217/

Buford, is ranked #15 by Rivals in the nation (Phoebus is ranked #65). http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=819

Many of their foes, detractors and haters, refer to them "affectionately" :) as: Buford University

excerpt: http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-school-sports/2011/09/02/perspective-buford-isnt-perfect-but-close/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_high_school_sports

When a school has won seven state football titles in 10 seasons, a mere eighth might not be enough at Buford. Even a fifth straight – something no Georgia school has done – wouldn’t satisfy everyone.

Behind the visitors stands are three artificial-turf football fields as nice as any in Georgia. At Buford, they’re mostly for practice, unless the soccer or lacrosse teams have games.

Buford is a Class AA school with some 850 students in the northern part of Gwinnett County, metro Atlanta’s football mecca. This season, Buford has gained more national recognition than ever. Its games have been televised or streamed live the past two weeks by ESPN or CSS, and will be again next week, when it plays a team from Florida.

Buford was also ranked pre-season #1 nationally by Max Preps for small schools...Gretna was ranked #23 on this list: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/0iZfercUEeCkhgAcxJSkrA/football-small-school-preseason-top-25-rankings.htm

As the above states some of their players have already committed to Alabama, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Air Force and even the long snapper is committed to LSU.

I saw them play last year...very impressive... and will be going to see them play Greater Atlanta Christian on Oct. 21 at Buford. Buford and GAC are the only two AA schools in Gwinnett. The rest of the Gwinnett schools are AAAAA except for the other private schools that are 1 A. (Buford is a city school, independent from GCPS and GAC is a private school playing in the GHSA by meeting their requirements for participation.)

However, more importantly this week... I will be making the drive to see the BLUE TORNADO hosting the Pulaski County Cougars at the Ernie. GO BLUES.

East Tennessee high school football has gone down in the last 25 to 30 years. A good example is Science Hill. They have a great basketball program but the football program has fallen to pieces. Science Hill was a state powerhouse until the mid70's. If Gate City played them the last 30 years Gate City would have dominated. While Alcoa and Maryville stand out- they are exceptions to the rule. The Nashville area is coming to dominate the various levels of Tennessee football. A natural event when you consider that most recent growth has been there. The larger rural consolidated schools in East Tennessee have not fared well in athletics- unless they have a decent sized town at their core.

East Tennessee high school football has gone down in the last 25 to 30 years. A good example is Science Hill. They have a great basketball program but the football program has fallen to pieces. Science Hill was a state powerhouse until the mid70's. If Gate City played them the last 30 years Gate City would have dominated. While Alcoa and Maryville stand out- they are exceptions to the rule. The Nashville area is coming to dominate the various levels of Tennessee football. A natural event when you consider that most recent growth has been there. The larger rural consolidated schools in East Tennessee have not fared well in athletics- unless they have a decent sized town at their core.

Similar to the fate of SWVA?

The 90s may have been the high water mark, we may never see teams like that again from this area. While that is my fear I believe that football has a strong core in this area and will rise again.

Southwest Virginia is in better shape in terms of athletics than East Tennnessee. There still exists more interest among kids and fans. Friends of mine who have coached in East Tennessee have told me of consistently declining participation rates- even in schools with gains in enrollment. Gates are also not at all what they used to be. Greater mobility- with more things to do and a lot of competition from other sports and from the ubiquitous computer. I do think the athletic future for rural schools is not bright- increased transportation costs will certainly hurt participation

This sorta relates to the topic but is a little off,

Where would Union HS be rated statewide if it had been formed back in the early 90s?

PV in alot of those years could have stood toe to toe w/ anyone in A or AA and Appy was right behind them. Together how do you guys think they would they have stacked up against the AAA teams?

Gotta be in the top 5, right?

yes i would think so.i think the dr give the boys a handoff as they were born in appy back in the day lol

yes i would think so.i think the dr give the boys a handoff as they were born in appy back in the day lol

The Dr handed them boys to their mama on a fullback trap up the middle of the hospital bed. Probably use the youngest in a tightend seem pass play to ole dad