Haysi/Grundy

redtiger

This one needs a name. The Battle for Prater? We could get some sort of Pirate hat traveling trophy or something? Ideas encouraged lol

This will be the first meeting of the two schools as district rivals.

Grundy was expected to be down this season, then they lost Berglowe and were expected to be pretty bad but as it turns out they are playing some pretty good football. The Golden Wave are comming off of a bye-week.

Haysi lost alot from last years team but so far it appears to be addition by subtraction as the Tigers have played better each week and are comming off a big win over Eastside.

I think it will be a hard fought, close game. Imo Grundy has a big advantage comming off of their bye(more time to get ready for that High Flying Tiger Attack) but Haysi has now won 2 in a row and has a little momentum.

Im gonna say Haysi 22 - Grundy 17

Thoughts? Predictions? Statements?

GO TIGERS!!!

Edited by redtiger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen Haysi play yet this year, but if they are improving as fast as you say they are then this should be a good game. I believe this one is all up to the play of haysi's qb. I'll take Grundy in a nail-bitter 24-21 on a last second field goal.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH!!!

Haysi has had to go with their backup QB(hes a Jr, not the Fresh who played against Castlewood), he plays well and has a good arm. Every week he looks more confident and is more decisive w/ his throws. I have no idea on his exact stats from last night but he only had a handfull of incompletions(1 bad drop, WR was wide open between the hashes and wouldnt have been touched on his way to the endzone and 1 int). I think he passes the ball as well as Blair(the starter) maybe better, he doesent run like blair but he has played WR and TE so he has been on the field over the past 2 seasons and sees things well. he is pretty patient.

Blair is still playing; some WR, some RB and on defense

Grundy just boils down to how good they play...if they don't make mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot then they will win...if they play like they did against Lebanon then they will lose...you are not going to know which version you will get until the clock starts rolling on Friday night.

In the past, Grundy has been flat coming off a bye week....so i hope that is not the case.Grundy's DB's seem to be better this year than last...sort of a surprise to me, but a nice one.

Key for Haysi will be to come out and get up early to try and take Grundy out of it, if you let them hang around then they will probably find a way to win it. If its a close game then I like Grundy...they have a great kicker and all they have to do is get down around the 30 - 35 and they have at least a shot at points. If the coaches tell him to, he can start you on the 20 every time as well.

haysi cant run it,cody church, dillion oquin, trey smith, ben rife, and trayquan oliver is a great secondary crew, mccowan can get in the back field, so ill take grundy here 28-14 same score as last year oddly enough #7 for haysi is pretty good but i think cody church can handle him he pretty much has shut down everybody so far this year

haysi cant run it,cody church, dillion oquin, trey smith, ben rife, and trayquan oliver is a great secondary crew, mccowan can get in the back field, so ill take grundy here 28-14 same score as last year oddly enough #7 for haysi is pretty good but i think cody church can handle him he pretty much has shut down everybody so far this year

assuming we don't get a bunch of penalties for jumping offsides, turn the ball over 5 times, and get a bunch of delay of game penalties, and have everyone stay healthy...I'd say Grundy by 7.

ill take grundy here 28-14 same score as last year oddly enough #7 for haysi is pretty good but i think cody church can handle him he pretty much has shut down everybody so far this year

Slowing Stanley(#7) down will be the key to Grundys success, if they can cover him that will slow Haysi down alot. I wouldnt go as far as to say Haysi cant run it, the run just accents the pass.

Should be a fine game!

This one needs a name. The Battle for Prater? We could get some sort of Pirate hat traveling trophy or something? Ideas encouraged lol

This will be the first meeting of the two schools as district rivals.

Grundy was expected to be down this season, then they lost Berglowe and were expected to be pretty bad but as it turns out they are playing some pretty good football. The Golden Wave are comming off of a bye-week.

Haysi lost alot from last years team but so far it appears to be addition by subtraction as the Tigers have played better each week and are comming off a big win over Eastside.

I think it will be a hard fought, close game. Imo Grundy has a big advantage comming off of their bye(more time to get ready for that High Flying Tiger Attack) but Haysi has now won 2 in a row and has a little momentum.

Im gonna say Haysi 22 - Grundy 17

Thoughts? Predictions? Statements?

GO TIGERS!!!

yeah grundy doesnt have a traveling trophy im all for the battle of green brier and the trophy being a banjo and will be presented by no other than bull bevins

Stanley is the key matchup but Haysi has 4-5 other very capeable WRs; some are quick/fast, some are just smart WRs. Stanley is both and that is what makes him dangerous.

Pronounce it correctly please Mr Brawler, its Greenbrar.

Youre right tho, thats where the county line is and that should be the name of the traveling trophy. We could get a pick, paint one side Navy Blue and the other Red. Write in Gold letters Grundy across the head of the Navy side and in White write Haysi on the Red side! Im on board for haveing Bull present it!

As far as traveling trophies Haysi has the MIners Trophy w/ Clintwood and had the Breaks Interstate Trophy w/ Elkhorn City(we now have it forever!)

Edited by redtiger

Compton and Rowe owned Haysi.....

Tip my hat to Grundy after they beat Hurley I thought Hurley would've beaten them.

Grundy's D over Haysi's O.

O'Quinn in my opinion can cover Stanley pretty well.

I'll take Grundy and the points at home

but I wouldn't have thought that Haysi would have beaten Eastside, after Eastside gave Honaker the business down to the wire field goal as time expired for the W 17-14 Tiggers

Compton over Colley

OH and John Lark over Tiger Dave any day of the week and you can get back to me on that one......

Edited by eastboundanddown
Omission

Compton and Rowe owned Haysi.....

O'Quinn in my opinion can cover Stanley pretty well.

OH and John Lark over Tiger Dave any day of the week and you can get back to me on that one......

Overall the series is about even(we looked this up about a month ago) so I would say owned is a pretty strong way to put it, broke even is a more adequate way to put it.

Im curious to see how that matchup plays out, but Haysi is more than just Stanley. The Tigers can put 5 legit recievers on the field, can Grundy put 5 legit cover guys out there?

I would rather not lol

Haysi runs the ball pretty well, not great but good enough to get their offense in the right position. The Tiger defense isint bad and is getting better every game.

Edited by redtiger

Overall its about even(we looked this up about a month ago)

I curious to see how that matchup plays out, but Haysi is more than just Stanley. The Tigers can put 5 legit recievers on the field, can Grundy put 5 legit cover guys out there?

I would rather not lol

I honestly can't remember the last time Haysi didn't have a solid offense. Back when they had Jones(I think was his name) and Caleb Powers they could run the ball at will almost. Then with Fleming at QB,he was one of the best around if not the best. It's been a good run for Haysi.

I honestly can't remember the last time Haysi didn't have a solid offense. Back when they had Jones(I think was his name) and Caleb Powers they could run the ball at will almost. Then with Fleming at QB,he was one of the best around if not the best. It's been a good run for Haysi.

It really has been a very good run, for a long time. Even in the years when Haysi was down other teams couldnt sleep on the offense, the defense might be suspect and depth might be a problem but the offense could really get after it. In '02 the passing game wasnt really there, Jake Colley was a Soph(1st year at QB), best WR on the team was Jones who went on to play RB the next year and FB in his final 2 seasons(so he really wasnt a WR), and on top of that had a Guard at TE but they did have a very good backfield.

In '05 Jones was the starting FB, Powers would come in some as another FB(really serious inside run game behind a big Oline) and Counts/Owens splitting time at TB(both were scat backs, Zack was fast and Elijah was shifty). That year they had 4 pretty good WRs too and Yates at TE(he was a Fresh but still pretty good)

Edited by redtiger

Overall the series is about even(we looked this up about a month ago) so I would say owned is a pretty strong way to put it, broke even is a more adequate way to put it.

Im curious to see how that matchup plays out, but Haysi is more than just Stanley. The Tigers can put 5 legit recievers on the field, can Grundy put 5 legit cover guys out there?

I would rather not lol

Haysi runs the ball pretty well, not great but good enough to get their offense in the right position. The Tiger defense isint bad and is getting better every game.

if they try to put 5 WR's out, Grundy will blitz --- no doubt ---until there is an indention in the field that looks like your QB.

if they try to put 5 WR's out, Grundy will blitz --- no doubt ---until there is an indention in the field that looks like your QB.

Blitz vs 5 wide and all the QB has to do is hit the hot read, pitch and catch!

5 wide probably wont be seen much but 4 wide will. I am curious to see how Grundy will defend Haysi's Spread sets. I know they shut Hurley down but the Tigers run a completly different passing scheme than the Rebels.

Grundy's Dbacks aren't the ones I'd be testing...they've pretty much shut down all passing... I mean an All-District candidate at QB and an All-State wide receiver couldn't do anything...Covering the Tigers won't be nearly as hard as you're making it out to be, and Dillow and McCowan are going to come after the QB all night...IF Haysi doesn't throw Grundy's D off balance and get some points on the board early they could be in for a long night...

neither teams to be underestimated colley knows what hes doing and grundy just flat hits you like cement should be a good one i still take grundy by 14 just because grundy is good against the pass and well they could put 4 guys on dillion i oquinn and hed still catch it
I thought Waynick shut Oquinn down. You all was talking about that matchup before the hurley game. He had 2 picks going against oquinn but Hurley could not stop the run. Also waynick was shut down on offense but he had a good defensive game against oquinn.

I thought Waynick shut Oquinn down. You all was talking about that matchup before the hurley game. He had 2 picks going against oquinn but Hurley could not stop the run. Also waynick was shut down on offense but he had a good defensive game against oquinn.

since when is the wide out accountable for a pick i thought it was the quarterback