Haysi/Grundy

redtiger

I thought Waynick shut Oquinn down. You all was talking about that matchup before the hurley game. He had 2 picks going against oquinn but Hurley could not stop the run. Also waynick was shut down on offense but he had a good defensive game against oquinn.

since when is the wide out accountable for a pick i thought it was the quarterback

ok...the pick that was run back for the TD was a floater...should have never been thrown and I bet if you ask Ben he will tell you the same thing...here is a pic I took just as he was throwing it...he's off balance and completely out of form as far as mechanics go to be throwing that type of pass....he has his body out in front of his feet and his weight is leaning forward and to the right and the throw goes back towards the left corner of the field...not to mention he gets nailed as he throws it...you can't blame O'quinn for this one:

IMG_6701.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Hurley has finally put in the Spread offense. Something they should have been running for the last 4 years. Looked good against East Ridge but that was East Ridge. We'll see how it works against some actual competition later on in the year.

And Hurley has finally put in the Spread offense. Something they should have been running for the last 4 years. Looked good against East Ridge but that was East Ridge. We'll see how it works against some actual competition later on in the year.

Greg's 2nd. year as coach, he did run something like the spread but it sucked so he went with the double wing because it was what worked best. Don't fool yourself, you have to have some good athletes to run the spread. You got Richlands= great, and you got St. Paul=not so great.

Didn't Colley change QB's redtiger? I heard thru the grapevine that he did and it makes Haysi look completely different. I reckon it looks Haysi of old.

If Haysi was smart, they would just come out and try to run the ball down Grundy's throat...regardless of what they have in the backfield, that is where Grundy has been weakest this year...I'd come out and make them prove to me they can stop it...they did against Hurley, but I'd still make that a point right off the bat and see what happens... But, that's just me.

if jack comptom comes in and iam shure he will then grundy wins .. jeremy and his staff cant beat colley now if jeremy gets comptom and rowe to give some pointers like they did in the hurley game then they will win and grundy has been off a week thats not good grundy 7 haysi 34

Grundy's Dbacks aren't the ones I'd be testing...they've pretty much shut down all passing... I mean an All-District candidate at QB and an All-State wide receiver couldn't do anything...Covering the Tigers won't be nearly as hard as you're making it out to be, and Dillow and McCowan are going to come after the QB all night...IF Haysi doesn't throw Grundy's D off balance and get some points on the board early they could be in for a long night...

Im not saying Haysi's passing game is better, im saying its different. From what I understand Hurley failed to beat Grundy in large part because Cooper held on to the ball waiting for Waynick to get downfield, right? Haysi in general wont have that problem as Haysi's passing attack is based on shorter quick passes. There will be deep passes but thats not how the offense is designed(it never really has been). The Tiger gameplan will be, as always, to keep the D off balance 1st and foremost

I really think it is gonna be a good matchup

Edited by redtiger

Haysi has switched to a different starting QB and the offense is running well. Blair is a very good player and he plays just about every skill position on offense. As far as looking like old, I didnt know the Haysi Offense had changed? lol Honestly they have been running some sets that I havent seen since '05 and I for one am glad to see it!

Haysi will run the ball some, they ran it against Eastside even though yards were really tough to come by. And were dedicated to it. It fits in the overall gameplan

Hurley ran "The Spread" 3 years ago(Gary Blankenships JR season), it really didnt work out very well. I think its a matter of their talent being at TE and FB over the years instead of at WR. It just doesent make sense to have your better players sitting on the bench just so you can run the spread. Put your best players on the field.

Edited by redtiger

Im not saying Haysi's passing game is better, im saying its different. From what I understand Hurley failed to beat Grundy in large part because Cooper held on to the ball waiting for Waynick to get downfield, right? Haysi in general wont have that problem as Haysi's passing attack is based on shorter quick passes. There will be deep passes but thats not how the offense is designed(it never really has been). The Tiger gameplan will be, as always, to keep the D off balance 1st and foremost

I really think it is gonna be a good matchup

The reason Grundy beat Hurley is because Hurleys offensive line failed to block anyone. lol

dillon is that good to whoever said no one around here is that good...

No, I hate to break your heart but hes really not. He's not even the best receiver on that team. The best is under center.

I think this game will be a good one could go either way Grundy-28 Haysi-22

I think youve got the score about right, but I cant agree w/ the winning team. I really think it could go either way.

But im gonna say Haysi 27 Grundy 20

GO TIGERS!!!!

Ben and Dillon are both pretty good...I wish we had a another good option for QB...it would be nice to have Ben at WR...both of those guys will catch anything close to them most of the time.

I think youve got the score about right, but I cant agree w/ the winning team. I really think it could go either way.

But im gonna say Haysi 27 Grundy 20

GO TIGERS!!!!

Yea I believe everyone is in agreement that it will be a close one. I took Grundy by a FG before, but this one really could go either way I think.

Ben and Dillon are both pretty good...I wish we had a another good option for QB...it would be nice to have Ben at WR...both of those guys will catch anything close to them most of the time.

Haysi had that same issue when both of the Colley boys played; if someone could have played QB both of them would have been all state WRs.

When Rob played Jordan Compton could have played QB(didnt want to risk a baseball career and I cant blame him).

When Jake played Kevin Viers could have played QB(didnt play football so he could focus on basketball, he squandered all that talent imo). Jake would have been unstopeable at WR

break my heart?...lol...thats funny, but yeah i agree with ben being a great receiver...and probably even better than dillon, i'll give you that....still don't change the fact that haysi doesn't have anyone to guard him especially with that guy under center throwing bullets

Anybody know what Grundys passing stats are for this season?

Im just trying to get this straight, Grundy has a WR that can catch passes even when covered by 4 guys, so he should have about 28 catches and around 400 yards recieving at this point in the season, right?

Lets not forget, Haysi has an all-state WR and a QB that imo is as good as anyone in the district(he hasnt proven himself yet but the skill is there imo)

Edited by redtiger

Anybody know what Grundys passing stats are for this season?

Im just trying to get this straight, Grundy has a WR that can catch passes even when covered by 4 guys, so he should have about 28 catches and around 400 yards recieving at this point in the season, right?

Lets not forget, Haysi has an all-state WR and a QB that imo is as good as anyone in the district(he hasnt proven himself yet but the skill is there imo)

i dont think grundy has thrown 28 passes this year...they have played 3 games and were off last week...I'd say Oquinn has about 15 receptions for maybe 200 yards and 3 td's so far...that may be way off, just a guess. Grundy moves the ball around a lot, they have 4 or 5 kids that run it and 3 or 4 WR's that they get the ball to regularly...they don't just jump ball to Oquinn all the time...although that is probably not a bad idea if you are not playing against someone the size of Waynick lol.

Oquinn is very good on both sides of the ball, but i think his skills as a receiver are being blown up just a bit...similar to talk of Cooper the week leading to the Hurley Grundy game...not trying to knock anyone down or talk poorly on either, each is a great student athlete with a bright future I am sure.

Lance is right on with the way Grundy's offense works...of course they try to run first for all obvious reasons but they spread it around letting McClanahan, Travis and Oliver run it and throwing it to Oquinn, Smith, Oliver there's even one or two more that they throw it to and hand it off to every now and again but those 6 with Rife are the offenses bread and butter with that young line that is coming along nicely. Haven't heard anyone talk a whole bunch about Haysi's D line and defense in general. If they don't have the D to stop Grundy the difference in the game may be wether or not Grundy can go mistake free (no INT's or fumbles or muffed punts/kickoffs) and score on every possession...And if it's a close game or Grundy does get down as seen against Hurley it's not Grundy of old that let their mistakes snowball or just give up at half time, they'll keep coming and have shown they can score 20-30 points in a half...

I think it will be close because Haysi isn't a team to get blown out and they have quiet a bit of offensive power...I don't think it's an OT or 3 point game though...I'll take Grundy by 7 and just a crazy amount of offense for both teams.

I think it will be close because Haysi isn't a team to get blown out and they have quiet a bit of offensive power...I don't think it's an OT or 3 point game though...I'll take Grundy by 7 and just a crazy amount of offense for both teams.

Castlewood beat them 42-14..... at what point do you consider a blow out to be taking place? That was in Birchleaf too down at Sandlick