Haysi/Grundy

redtiger

Castlewood beat them 42-14..... at what point do you consider a blow out to be taking place? That was in Birchleaf too down at Sandlick

In Haysi defence They lost there STarting QB and tried to fill in with a freashman that was not ready

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short - Thats what I was getting at, Grundy undoubtedly has some very good players but I think its fair to say that none of them are dominating, as some on here have said. Like you said not trying to knock anyone.

Haysi has played pretty good defense this season, average against the pass and solid against the run. As always the Haysi scheme isint to blow thge play up but to squeeze it down. They play smart, hard and are tough. The D did give up alot to Castlewood's passing game. Castlewood has 1 WR that is very similar to Waynick in size and ability and another who is similar to Stanley. Both would probably be all-region(if such a thing existed anymore).

eastboundanddown - Haysi did lose by alot in that game but like Counts said Haysi went to their 3rd QB(so the #2 could stay on the field at TE) and it didnt work, he just wasnt ready. He can pass the ball well enough but he just didnt see the field well (didnt see Castlewoods 6'6" Safety in the middle of the field). Haysi moved down the field 3 times, moved inside the 10 twice and came away w/ no points(3 ints). Zack sees the field much better and wont make those mistakes. And that game was @ Castlewood

Zack Owens passing stats from last friday,

14 of 22 for 285 yards, 3 TDs and 1 int, he also had one rushing TD. Not too shabby

Team rushing stats, 25 for 50 yards, not many yards but they didnt abandon it

Edited by redtiger

The QB for Haysi stats are rather impressive, but if they have to rely on him and their pass that much as was already said Grundy will dial the blitz from when Ward and Bostic were playing and it will get ugly fast unless they've got some really good screens and slants...Just don't see it going much different than the second half of the Hurley game...shut down the run with the Dlinemen then send them after the QB, the Dbacks will be about like they have all season may give up a few here and there but will cover well enough to not submit many points...Lenoard said it that the Wave is building steam weekly and their offense has to be on cloud 9 after what they were able to do to Hurley and having an off week to get fresh and hungry to win again...

unless they've got some really good screens and slants.....

If it has ever been done on a football field then it is in the Haysi playbook LOL

In all honistly if the Grundy sendery can make the tackles on the short passes and not give up big yards on doubble moves then they will be OK

The advantage I see in this one is that so far Haysi has had a tough time defending the pass

i think with the grundy defense starting to click its going to turn out to be a heck of a ball game..grundy plays with alot of heart so look for a hard fought ball game by both teams

I think were all counting on it. Should be a great game.

Lets hope it doesent rain all night :(

Looks like it could be a wet one! I'll be listening to this one so I hope for the players and everyone who attends sake that the rain comes early or late and somehow gives them about a 3 hour break and is dry during the game.

Looks like it could be a wet one! I'll be listening to this one so I hope for the players and everyone who attends sake that the rain comes early or late and somehow gives them about a 3 hour break and is dry during the game.

Fingers crossed

Let me be the first to say congrats to Haysi, they flat out were ready to play and Grundy simply wasn't. Lance was correct that Grundy doesn't play well after an off week and it was very evident that was true. Haysi's running game surprised me, they have a good team.

This is like exact opposites of the Hurley Grundy game, Hurley was favored but Grundy shut down their O and played tough D, Haysi is playing very well on O and as for their D... Hopefully Grundy can rebound next week. Good luck to Haysi

well since you were the first to say it i'll be the second....i don't even know any stats but im guessing that i was proven wrong about oquinn....so i'll go ahead and eat some crow and take it, congrats to haysi, i honestly thought you had a chance to win the game but not like this....coach colley must have you all running like a well oiled machine...good luck rest of season to both teams

Well, I picked Grundy in this game, but it doesn't shock me Haysi won at all!! What shocks me is the margin of victory... WOW Haysi went off, it was 29-0 in the 1Q, in part to two Grundy fumbles, but still... That's a bit scary for the rest of the BDD or should be anyway!!! Congrats the RED tigers.... who ever heard of red tiger anyway?? lol...jk Really impressive win guys!!!! I can see Ole redtiger now, enjoyin this one!!! congrats man!!!

Haysi jumped on Grundy early and took them out of the game, I for one was shocked. Really thought it would be close. Grundy just couldnt get anything going up the middle although the sweep was working pretty well they just didnt have anything to go with it.

Haysi was able to ove the ball on the ground really well, Derrick Blair had around 240 yards on the ground and the passing game was pretty good too. Haysi really doesent have a strong point on offense, they are very balanced and are able to take advantage of a defenses weak points. Moving Blair to RB has had a huge impact on the offense and really made them more consistant. Haysi plays better and better every weak.

#17 for Grundy looked pretty good(quick/fast). #30 got a little banged up, hope he is ok.

Good luck to Grundy the rest of the way

Edited by redtiger

.... who ever heard of red tiger anyway?? lol...jk Really impressive win guys!!!! I can see Ole redtiger now, enjoyin this one!!! congrats man!!!

They are native to Eastern Dickenson County, very rare breed.

Orange is just a watered down version of Red lol

I must say I am pretty stoked.

They are native to Eastern Dickenson County, very rare breed.

Orange is just a watered down version of Red lol

I must say I am pretty stoked.

As you should be!!!

funny on the orange, but God made Tigers Orange, Black, and White!!!! lol

Grundy's other face showed tonight...just like the Lebanon game...way too many mistakes and turn overs...penalties...it was like watching the Lebanon game over again...friggin groundhog day.

Haysi has some good skill position players for sure...the QB looked great all night and #7 and #22 were both making plays on offense...good looking group.

Grundy will be ok, they just have some stuff to work on still...once again the guy standing directly over the ball jumps offsides on a key 3rd and short to extend the drive for free and set up a TD...Coach Newberry would go ballistic at this point if he were still around...I can hear him now "the guy over the ball should never jump offsides"...heard him say it a million times....it was a pet peeve of his.

anyway...you take your beating, learn, and move on. Frustrating game to watch tonight because i know they can play better than they did...but...time to move on.

#7 is Dakota Stanley and #22 is derrick Blair(former QB), those two are definately the teams "bell cows" but #5 Toby Edwards and #16 Austin McClanahan are pretty good players too. All of them have their strengths and all get used in alot of ways(RB/WR/TE). Blair is also pretty tough on defense.

I want to point out an often overlooked player on Haysi's defense, Tristan Yates. The kid is probably 5'2" and 130 lbs and plays Nose Guard! He had 10 tackels last night

The Oline played the best they have all season last nite, that made it easy for the backs. Blankenship #32 had a nice night too, hes pretty good runner and a very solid blocker.

Edited by redtiger

Derrick Blair #22 was very, very impressive in this game. Was trucking people left and right all night. Made alot of plays on defense and would have easily went over 300 yards rushing if the score hadn't gotten so out of hand. He had about 220 at halftime. Moving him to RB and Owens to QB has completely changed the face of this team. Will be interesting to see what happens moving forward. Would love to see them have the opportunity to face Castlewood or Clintwood again.

His move really has changed the Offense. He is a great running back and a solid reciever, either as a WR or out of the backfield. Zack has done a really fine job taking over at QB and is gaining confidence(both running and passing) with every snap. The only drawback to the move is they really dont have a true TE, I dont know if Zack could be considered a true TE or not but he was the closest on the team.

Im not sure what the school record for rushing is but I know several years ago Ryan Rose rushed for around 275 yards against Hurley and didnt break it, Blair could have last night.

Edited by redtiger