I'm not much on the band stuff....BUT....

We both graduated in 2003, so out years overlapped exactly.

I know what you are saying about our 2001 show. It certainly wasn't my favorites show coming out of band camp, but there were several bone chilling shows that season. Many where you could look into the stands and see people weeping. That show had a powerful ending with taps and the Star Spangled Banner piece along with the three giant red, white, and blue stars.

One thing I always envied about Graham was your all's sound. You always played with a nice, loud, full sound. Something, that we never seemed to do as well.

One thing that Brown did somewhat well, with the notable exception of 2002 (the Gladiator show was planned for 2002 in 2001, and we didn't have the high brass or percussion to pull it off), was picking music that maximized our strengths. By design, we had music that was meant to be FFF. The John Williams show, not so much, but West Side Story, RiverDance, and Gladiator were shows where you could just blast it for long periods of time.

One thing I envied about Richlands was the musicianship. True, you all didn't go full bore as we did as often, but I don't believe that going full bore all the time is necessarily the way that a marching band should play. You all played shows so musically: you could almost imagine the score in your head as Richlands played. If something was to be accented, you knew it. If there was to be a crescendo or decrescendo, you knew it. And when the music called for volume, you brought it with vigor.

Your sound was also very full, while Graham's often was not. We were very high-brass heavy in 2000 and very low-brass heavy in 2002. 1999 and 2001 were nice mixtures, 2001 a bit moreso, but it didn't match what Richlands was able to do.

0ur high school years made for some great rivalries. Even though we always seemed to have the upper hand, I'm not going to lie and say we weren't also concerned about beating you guys. It was definitely talked about a lot at our practices.

There are a lot of things that people can say about Danny Swartz, but to me he was a hell of a band director and a nice guy. Its a shame that he will probably never be able to put those talents to use again. He was, without and doubt, the reason that RHS had such a successful band for all those years.

It was an enjoyable rivalry, though we always ended up on the short end of the stick. We did try to use it as a motivational tool at our practices, too, but as I said above, it didn't always work as well as it could've. It was always in our minds, and I think it hindered us, because we shouldn't have been using it as the rubric by which we judged ourselves. We were a darned good band, and in 2004-2005 an Honor Band, but you'd never know it from listening to us. The fire fed you, and it burned us up for a long time.

One question, though. Was it any kind of advantage for you guys that you always seemed to follow us? For example, you knew whether we didn't have our best performance or whether we did well, and we at Graham had to settle for guessing as to what you might do. For example, at Lonesome Pine '00, it was FRIGID, and I'm sure you remember it. We went out and played West Side Story the best we'd ever played it, and what I thought at the time may've beaten you. You all came out and just freaking owned Holst's Planets. Just killed it. Very demoralizing from our end.

And I completely agree with you about Swartz. He was put on this planet to direct a marching band, and that's not something I say about every director. I typically save praise like that for Dave McKie and Bill Pease. I hope one day he gets a chance to direct a college band in some capacity, because for the obvious reasons, his high school directing days are finished.

Another question: how large and how good is the RHS band now? I know it took a huge toll, and since I've not seen them play since all this has happened, I'd just like a RHS perspective on it.

One thing that Brown did somewhat well, with the notable exception of 2002 (the Gladiator show was planned for 2002 in 2001, and we didn't have the high brass or percussion to pull it off), was picking music that maximized our strengths. By design, we had music that was meant to be FFF. The John Williams show, not so much, but West Side Story, RiverDance, and Gladiator were shows where you could just blast it for long periods of time.

One thing I envied about Richlands was the musicianship. True, you all didn't go full bore as we did as often, but I don't believe that going full bore all the time is necessarily the way that a marching band should play. You all played shows so musically: you could almost imagine the score in your head as Richlands played. If something was to be accented, you knew it. If there was to be a crescendo or decrescendo, you knew it. And when the music called for volume, you brought it with vigor.

Your sound was also very full, while Graham's often was not. We were very high-brass heavy in 2000 and very low-brass heavy in 2002. 1999 and 2001 were nice mixtures, 2001 a bit moreso, but it didn't match what Richlands was able to do.

It was an enjoyable rivalry, though we always ended up on the short end of the stick. We did try to use it as a motivational tool at our practices, too, but as I said above, it didn't always work as well as it could've. It was always in our minds, and I think it hindered us, because we shouldn't have been using it as the rubric by which we judged ourselves. We were a darned good band, and in 2004-2005 an Honor Band, but you'd never know it from listening to us. The fire fed you, and it burned us up for a long time.

One question, though. Was it any kind of advantage for you guys that you always seemed to follow us? For example, you knew whether we didn't have our best performance or whether we did well, and we at Graham had to settle for guessing as to what you might do. For example, at Lonesome Pine '00, it was FRIGID, and I'm sure you remember it. We went out and played West Side Story the best we'd ever played it, and what I thought at the time may've beaten you. You all came out and just freaking owned Holst's Planets. Just killed it. Very demoralizing from our end.

And I completely agree with you about Swartz. He was put on this planet to direct a marching band, and that's not something I say about every director. I typically save praise like that for Dave McKie and Bill Pease. I hope one day he gets a chance to direct a college band in some capacity, because for the obvious reasons, his high school directing days are finished.

Another question: how large and how good is the RHS band now? I know it took a huge toll, and since I've not seen them play since all this has happened, I'd just like a RHS perspective on it.

Our band this year is somewhere in-between 40-50 this year. And they are currently a solid II IMO.

As for going on after you guys, it never really made a difference to us. We were bread and trained to walk off the bus like champion, ear like a champion, dress like champions, and preform like champions. So our focus was never really anywhere buy our show. I think we had a mental edge more than anything.

Hahaha Gladiator was too much fun. It was great for Friday nights... not so much Saturdays.

As for going on after you guys, it never really made a difference to us. We were bread and trained to walk off the bus like champion, ear like a champion, dress like champions, and preform like champions. So our focus was never really anywhere buy our show. I think we had a mental edge more than anything.

I don't know about all that. lol We were just high schoolers after all. I think we, or at least I, always kept an eye on the other bands we were competing against. Not only was it fun to see other bands perform, but it also gave you an idea of what you were up against. I'm not sure if following Graham was an advantage or not, but It was always fun taking the field after you guys...I miss that feeling.

BTW, my favorite competition was always the one at Gorge Wythe. There were always some great bands there, including Graham and Brookeville. What was your favorite UVAO?

I don't know about all that. lol We were just high schoolers after all. I think we, or at least I, always kept an eye on the other bands we were competing against. Not only was it fun to see other bands perform, but it also gave you an idea of what you were up against. I'm not sure if following Graham was an advantage or not, but It was always fun taking the field after you guys...I miss that feeling.

BTW, my favorite competition was always the one at Gorge Wythe. There were always some great bands there, including Graham and Brookeville. What was your favorite UVAO?

Mine was always George Wythe too. Just something about that competition. I hated Music in the Castle, I never liked marching on that grass.

I believe it was my Jr year, we went to Beckley and preformed at like 1:30ish, hopped on the bus and drove to Wytheville, got off the bus, went to warm up, and preformed again. I loved that day. Two great preformances.

Oh band. Those were some good days. I was alongside Observer at Graham for two of his four years beginning with the RiverDance show he referenced. The most complete show I was in was Pirates of the Caribbean my senior year (2004). That year we brought in Jim French from Tazewell and he tightened up our musicianship. Combine that with Brown's ability to keep the marching pristine, and you had a successful show.

Also that year was the only year we "beat" Richlands. At the State competition in Pulaski we were awarded a Superior while Richlands scored Excellent. That's the closest I ever came to getting the W over a Swartz-led band. We ended up finishing that year as a Virginia State Honors Band, something that had never been done before and hasn't been done since (if I'm not mistaken). So that was a special year for us.

Good times, were they not?

Hey, a win's a win. ;). First time Graham had topped Richlands since 1994, or something like that.

And if I'm not mistaken, Graham was a Virginia Honor Band in 2005-2006, too. In 2001, with RiverDance, the leadership finally convinced Brown to go after the Virginia Honor Band award if we were successful in Pulaski. Of course, we got an Excellent that year, the reason for which I'm sure you're aware. So much for that...

And I agree, bringing French in from Tazewell was a great match for Graham's band. Great timing, too...the 2004-2005 band had great balance, and adding a director who placed a premium on musicianship was wonderful.

Our band this year is somewhere in-between 40-50 this year. And they are currently a solid II IMO.

Appreciate that perspective. Your minds were where they should've been, then.

And it's a shame to see that in Richlands. Just a huge shame. It may hurt for a while, especially since the events of 2007-2008 likely would moreso affect the numbers of kids coming into the program in middle school than the kids already in high school (where the impact was felt strongly enough). Those 6th graders then would be 9th graders now. I guess the better question would be: is the middle school band getting a healthy number of incoming students? If so, that'll help remedy the situation for years down the road.

Hahaha Gladiator was too much fun. It was great for Friday nights... not so much Saturdays.

I think that's a good way to put it. The 2002-2003 band was just so low brass heavy. That didn't mean that there wasn't talent elsewhere (high woodwinds were also solid), but much of the talent elsewhere was young (freshmen/sophomores), and it really takes about 2 full years before you start scratching the upper limits of your talent.

We did a show at UVA called "Gangster Jazz", and a similar show would've been perfect for that 2002 Graham band. Four movements, about 11 minutes long for the entire show, a show where a lot of movement won't necessarily kill the sound. The two videos below are from a Fresno State performance of the show. Having played and marched the music myself, I don't think Fresno's low brass goes for it enough. It's a show where the low brass can crank it about 80% of the time, and that's something that 2002 band needed. Also, the percussion line is challenging without being THAT difficult to master, and I think the 2002 Gladiator show was much too hard on our percussion, a young section that had lost a lot in 2000 and 2001.

Movement 1:

Movement 2:

Our drumline practicing Movement 1:

I have two favorite ones, for different reasons. My favorite one was Lonesome Pine. First, because only SWVA bands ever attended, and I felt that it was a good barometer how you compared to all the talent locally. Second, it was the week of my birthday, which was always fun, especially the year we won (Richlands wasn't there) in 2002. It also helps that the scoring was much too easy, but I always had a soft spot for that festival.

My second one was the VBODA festival in Pulaski. The judging was BRUTAL, and the judging list was pretty much a "who's who" in Virginia music. Top-notch high school directors (Charlottesville, Lake Braddock, among others) and some college directors (VT's assistant directors) one year. If you received Superior at that festival, you freaking earned it. I'm not saying that I didn't really go for it at the other festivals, but in Pulaski, I made it a point to leave everything I had on that field. Also, I loved that field, because it has the WORST echo that I've ever heard in my life. If you weren't anticipating the beat by watching the majors and instead listened to your surroundings, you were dead in the water.

Edited by UVAObserver

Good times, were they not?

Hey, a win's a win. ;). First time Graham had topped Richlands since 1994, or something like that.

And if I'm not mistaken, Graham was a Virginia Honor Band in 2005-2006, too. In 2001, with RiverDance, the leadership finally convinced Brown to go after the Virginia Honor Band award if we were successful in Pulaski. Of course, we got an Excellent that year, the reason for which I'm sure you're aware. So much for that...

And I agree, bringing French in from Tazewell was a great match for Graham's band. Great timing, too...the 2004-2005 band had great balance, and adding a director who placed a premium on musicianship was wonderful.

Yeah, the other thing was that the leadership that year was completely on the same page as Brown and French. Combine that with some (over)zealous band boosters, and you have some explosions going off behind good musicianship and marching. The whole experience was just a positive for us.

I think that's a good way to put it. The 2002-2003 band was just so low brass heavy. That didn't mean that there wasn't talent elsewhere (high woodwinds were also solid), but much of the talent elsewhere was young (freshmen/sophomores), and it really takes about 2 full years before you start scratching the upper limits of your talent.

We did a show at UVA called "Gangster Jazz", and a similar show would've been perfect for that 2002 Graham band. Four movements, about 11 minutes long for the entire show, a show where a lot of movement won't necessarily kill the sound. The two videos below are from a Fresno State performance of the show. Having played and marched the music myself, I don't think Fresno's low brass goes for it enough. It's a show where the low brass can crank it about 80% of the time, and that's something that 2002 band needed. Also, the percussion line is challenging without being THAT difficult to master, and I think the 2002 Gladiator show was much too hard on our percussion, a young section that had lost a lot in 2000 and 2001.

Movement 1:

Movement 2:

Our drumline practicing Movement 1:

All I can say for the links you gave is WOW. Haha, as part of the high brass, I would have loved that feverish pace. And yes, that is played at about the same volume and energy as the Gladiator show.

I distinctly remember being out of breath and having an insanely sore embrasure every time I walked off the field after Gladiator. In case you haven't heard it, here is Troy State's band playing the show. We started the show at the 1:07 mark.

Pure energy.

Yeah, the other thing was that the leadership that year was completely on the same page as Brown and French. Combine that with some (over)zealous band boosters, and you have some explosions going off behind good musicianship and marching. The whole experience was just a positive for us.

Leadership on the same page as the directors? I don't know how that feels. ;)

Honestly, I'll PM you with some behind-the-scenes stuff.

All I can say for the links you gave is WOW. Haha, as part of the high brass, I would have loved that feverish pace. And yes, that is played at about the same volume and energy as the Gladiator show.

I distinctly remember being out of breath and having an insanely sore embrasure every time I walked off the field after Gladiator. In case you haven't heard it, here is Troy State's band playing the show. We started the show at the 1:07 mark.

Pure energy.

That Gladiator was an exhausting show for everyone. Just 11 minutes of "GO!". IIRC, Troy State was the band that played the demo tape that we listened to before deciding to do the show (I was the one of the few who voted against it, not because it wasn't a kick-ass show, but because I thought there were shows that were better for us as a band). Troy State really killed that show, too...a great performance. Very demanding. I limped off the field after doing that show in Pulaski.