Gate City Vs. Clintwood

Wavefan257

Is Central considered "on the same level" as Gate City?? Not trying to cause trouble I just haven't gotten to see Central so I have no idea.

No. Gate City has played a very, very tough schedule. And I believe it gives them the edge over Clintwood. Both are very good, no doubt. But I see GC winning in a 17-14 type game.

I dont think GC playing a tough schedule halps them any more than Clintwoods tough schedule has helped them. Both teams have faced opponents that are better than the ones they will be playing friday night.

Both are tough, battle tested teams. If Haysi/Honaker wasnt this friday I would be in Clintwood.

Clintwood at home is a very tough team to beat. I thought I heard on 93.5 that they hadn't lost a district game in 5 years and maybe only lost 2 out of district games in the last 5.

Clintwood 24

Gate City 16

Should be a hard hitting game with a lot running between the tackles.

Guest bigdaddyd50

Should be the 08 gc/cwood game all over again. GC by 1. 28-27. Same score as 08.

home field advantage,,na,,,this one could go one way or not..gonna be old fashioned runnem and pass if you can..............wave knows they are in the playoffs ,so does the blue devils..........look for a fairly low scoring game....clintwood 23-gate city 12. hope everyone comes out without any injuries...............

Edited by cwood78

Should be a real barnburner in Clintwood friday night...I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Wave this year, but I've watched their videos against Lee and Burton...From what I saw, they are primarily a rushing team, (usually an I formation, even once i saw with 3 backs in the I), with a couple of fine tailbacks...They usually keep it between the tackles behind their huge offensive line although they do run what I describe as a stretch play just outside the tackles...They like to sneak the Fullback or Quarterback thru to keep defenses from loading up on the tailbacks...From what I saw, they rarely throw the ball down the field...Most of the throws were 10 yards or less, the majority of which, they throw to the outside receiver, when the defensive back is playing off, or hope the receiver can break a tackle...

Defensively, it appeared that Clintwood's defense consisted of 3 downlinemen with 5 linebackers...Burton burned their secondary with 2 long passes and Lee's Graham had at least one 1 long touchdown run...Lee self destructed with either 3 or 4 fumbles deep in their own territory...

Gate City is not even close to being the same team they were last year...The line is not as physical as it was last year...They rely more on misdirection than power...We've had trouble in short yardage situations all season...The Quarterback, Bowen, is a capable thrower and has several good receivers...

Common opponents include Lebanon, Union & Lee: Clintwood beat Lebanon 30-8; Union 30-26; and Lee 43-18...Gate City beat Lebanon 36-0; Union 34-20; and Lee 14-6...

Winner of this game will get a boatload of points and will probably move up in the seedings for the playoffs...

Edited by marcus_twain

Should be a real barnburner in Clintwood friday night...I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Wave this year, but I've watched their videos against Lee and Burton...From what I saw, they are primarily a rushing team, (usually an I formation, even once i saw with 3 backs in the I), with a couple of fine tailbacks...They usually keep it between the tackles behind their huge offensive line although they do run what I describe as a stretch play just outside the tackles...They like to sneak the Fullback or Quarterback thru to keep defenses from loading up on the tailbacks...From what I saw, they rarely throw the ball down the field...Most of the throws were 10 yards or less, the majority of which, they throw to the outside receiver, when the defensive back is playing off, or hope the receiver can break a tackle...

Defensively, it appeared that Clintwood's defense consisted of 3 downlinemen with 5 linebackers...Burton burned their secondary with 2 long passes and Lee's Graham had at least one 1 long touchdown run...Lee self destructed with either 3 or 4 fumbles deep in their own territory...

Gate City is not even close to being the same team they were last year...The line is not as physical as it was last year...They rely more on misdirection than power...We've had trouble in short yardage situations all season...The Quarterback, Bowen, is a capable thrower and has several good receivers...

Common opponents include Lebanon, Union & Lee: Clintwood beat Lebanon 30-8; Union 30-26; and Lee 43-18...Gate City beat Lebanon 36-0; Union 34-20; and Lee 14-6...

Winner of this game will get a boatload of points and will probably move in the seedings for the playoffs...

I think turnovers will play a key role in determining the winner of this game... Last time they played it was 28-27 Gate City ...A fumble by Clintwood aided Gate City in that game...plus they had a speedy qb,Tihlee Anderson that could run and scored the final td on a run down the sideline. Should be a great game this friday!:)

I think turnovers will play a key role in determining the winner of this game... Last time they played it was 28-27 Gate City ...A fumble by Clintwood aided Gate City in that game...plus they had a speedy qb,Tihlee Anderson that could run and scored the final td on a run down the sideline. Should be a great game this friday!:)

I was at that game. Clintwoods Oline couldnt move GCs Dline at all, the backs fought hard for every inch in that one. I remember GC comming out and trying to do some different things(Shotgun runs w/ the RB and QB and also some passing), it didnt work. They came out later and went to the Double Tights T and ran their little FB offtackle play and the back was able to get to the outside again and again and again(DE was jumping inside to stop the off tackle so the FB cut outside).

I wish Clintwood would have won that one but it as a very good game.

I have watched Gate City play twice this year and I have watched Clintwood play once. Both teams are solid. Gate City does rely more on mis-direction & execution in their running game while Clintwood has two powerful running backs. Both defensive units are good. It is a hard game to pick but I'll say Clintwood 20 Gate City 14.

Ive seen both teams and Clintwood seems to be the scrappier team, but you cant ever and i do mean ever count a win against gatecity untill the final whistle blows. IMO i forsee gatecity winning this game because of depth. Clintwood has good depth but Gatecity's is a little better. Its goin to be a close matchup but the Blue Devils will pull it out in the 4th quarter by 1 touchdown

Ive seen both teams and Clintwood seems to be the scrappier team, but you cant ever and i do mean ever count a win against gatecity untill the final whistle blows. IMO i forsee gatecity winning this game because of depth. Clintwood has good depth but Gatecity's is a little better. Its goin to be a close matchup but the Blue Devils will pull it out in the 4th quarter by 1 touchdown

Scrappier teams win ball games....Clintwood and Gate City... get there early!!!

GC doesn't have alot of depth...One player, who played on the offensive and defensive line, was dismissed from the team a couple of weeks ago...

Union, with a less stellar rushing attack than Clintwood, ran the ball down the Devils' throat the entire second half...No big runs...just 4 and 5 yards at a time.

Guest bigdaddyd50

The kid did not start oline. He did 1 game due to our right gaurd having a concussion (jsb game) He was only in at certain times on defense. Get your facts right.

Guest bigdaddyd50

Since im expecting a big crowd tmrw, what time do gates open at cwood?