VT v. UVA Parking Question?!

Gunz9

I have tickets for tomorrow's game between UVA v. VT. I have never been to a game down in Charlottesville and I was curious if anybody had any suggestions where I should park. I know they have public parking at some parking garage's but I didn't know how good of a tailgate atmosphere it is. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have tickets for tomorrow's game between UVA v. VT. I have never been to a game down in Charlottesville and I was curious if anybody had any suggestions where I should park. I know they have public parking at some parking garage's but I didn't know how good of a tailgate atmosphere it is. Anybody have any suggestions?

You have three options that aren't going to be murder on your feet.

One is to show up at University Hall before the Parking Nazis get there and start charging (typically 6+ hours before game time). The parking really is plentiful, and to the best of my recollection, you don't have to have a permit. At least, I didn't as recently as 2007. The tailgating options here are the best you'll find outside forking over hundreds of dollars for a prepaid lot. From here, you walk straight away from the John Paul Jones Arena to Alderman Road. It'll take you straight there. About .5 mile.

Two is what I do. I park at the Emmet/Ivy Garage at, you guessed it, the corner of Emmet and Ivy Roads. It costs $15 to park, but I don't mind paying for the convenience. If you want to tailgate, go to the top floor, where there's open light and a darned good view. From there, you go down Emmet Road toward the University, then veer right onto McCormick Road. You can either take McCormick to Alderman, or cut through the engineering school (like I will). About .6 mile.

Three isn't suggested. You can park for free in Lambeth Field, and there's a chance that there will be spaces as many students have left for break. Don't bank on it, though. I don't know of anyone that tailgates there, but you can if you wanted to. It's a pretty area. From there, you follow Emmet toward the university, and the directions are much like Emmet/Ivy Garage. About .7 mile.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I hope you enjoy the trip up, drive safely. Who knows, we might even run into each other tomorrow and never know it!

You have three options that aren't going to be murder on your feet.

One is to show up at University Hall before the Parking Nazis get there and start charging (typically 6+ hours before game time). The parking really is plentiful, and to the best of my recollection, you don't have to have a permit. At least, I didn't as recently as 2007. The tailgating options here are the best you'll find outside forking over hundreds of dollars for a prepaid lot. From here, you walk straight away from the John Paul Jones Arena to Alderman Road. It'll take you straight there. About .5 mile.

Two is what I do. I park at the Emmet/Ivy Garage at, you guessed it, the corner of Emmet and Ivy Roads. It costs $15 to park, but I don't mind paying for the convenience. If you want to tailgate, go to the top floor, where there's open light and a darned good view. From there, you go down Emmet Road toward the University, then veer right onto McCormick Road. You can either take McCormick to Alderman, or cut through the engineering school (like I will). About .6 mile.

Three isn't suggested. You can park for free in Lambeth Field, and there's a chance that there will be spaces as many students have left for break. Don't bank on it, though. I don't know of anyone that tailgates there, but you can if you wanted to. It's a pretty area. From there, you follow Emmet toward the university, and the directions are much like Emmet/Ivy Garage. About .7 mile.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I hope you enjoy the trip up, drive safely. Who knows, we might even run into each other tomorrow and never know it!

When we went to the Duke game a couple weeks ago, we parked at University Hall and walked to the stadium. However, after the game we caught the game shuttle and it took us right back to U-hall. We caught the bus as the bottom level of the parking garage located outside of the (south?) end zone.

We always parked at the Rehab Hospital/Fontaine Research Park lot...take exit 118B (Rt. 29) to Fontaine Ave. Take a right on to Fontaine and take the first right into the lot. Follow the crowd to the stadium...its a bit of a walk but not too bad, walk across Rt. 29 and follow the walking trail to Stadium Rd...takes you right to the Stadium. Lots of tailgating area and easy to get out and back on the Interstate.

We always parked at the Rehab Hospital/Fontaine Research Park lot...take exit 118B (Rt. 29) to Fontaine Ave. Take a right on to Fontaine and take the first right into the lot. Follow the crowd to the stadium...its a bit of a walk but not too bad, walk across Rt. 29 and follow the walking trail to Stadium Rd...takes you right to the Stadium. Lots of tailgating area and easy to get out and back on the Interstate.

That's almost a mile and a half. Too much for this "old" Wahoo's ankles right now. ;)

But yes, very easy interstate access. But by the time you get back, traffic's going to have died down anyway.

When we went to the Duke game a couple weeks ago, we parked at University Hall and walked to the stadium. However, after the game we caught the game shuttle and it took us right back to U-hall. We caught the bus as the bottom level of the parking garage located outside of the (south?) end zone.

The shuttle is a fickle beast. Can't trust UTS as far as you can throw them. My grandfather, who was disabled, did manage to get one quickly. My mother, however, was left waiting for nearly an hour after giving up the last spot for him.