ACC Championship Game

vthokies4life

It's about time to start its own thread, right? I've really got nothing to say about the game other than I hope we win, and think we will.

I do want to give you this quote from John Brandon's weekly piece on Grantland.com (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7299505/the-biggest-week-college-football-really-matter):

The Hokies have been almost great for so long that they're easy to forget about. But Beamer and those guys are consistently consistent. This should be a heck of a game. Bud Foster trying to slow down Sammy Watkins & Co. When a fancy team like Clemson starts losing, it's fun to see whether it rights the ship or drowns, and if it does right it against a tough-minded, Beamer-coached squad out for revenge, it'll be quite a trick. The ACC title doesn't mean anything, but beating VT twice in one year would.

I think "consistently consistent" is a good way to describe VT football. Thoughts?

It's about time to start its own thread, right? I've really got nothing to say about the game other than I hope we win, and think we will.

I do want to give you this quote from John Brandon's weekly piece on Grantland.com (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7299505/the-biggest-week-college-football-really-matter):

I think "consistently consistent" is a good way to describe VT football. Thoughts?

I think VT wins. If VT doesn't, there's still a decent chance VT makes a BCS bowl. That would bump everyone up the pecking order, and it could bump UVA up as much as 4 spots. So, that's how my heart is rooting: a very close, hotly contested Clemson win.

Hokies roll. They win by at least 3 TD's..... If they don't, then quote me.....

A little crazy there, BTF. But I'll take it, haha.

Regardless, VT is licking their chops for this game. They've seen this video.

ACC is NOT getting two teams in the BCS...not happening, don't even think about it...

You tell me who gets that 4th at-large. A KSU team that didn't finish better than 3rd in its own conference? A potential 3-loss OU? A Michigan team that didn't win its own division? A 3-loss MSU/Wiscy loser?

Why not VT, with a loss?

You tell me who gets that 4th at-large. A KSU team that didn't finish better than 3rd in its own conference? A potential 3-loss OU? A Michigan team that didn't win its own division? A 3-loss MSU/Wiscy loser?

Why not VT, with a loss?

One loss Stanford?

Why not VT, with a loss?

Stop over thinking it.

BCS = LSU vs Alabama

Orange = VT vs Big East (WVU)

Rose = BIG 10 vs Pac (Wisconsin vs Oregon)

Fiesta = Big 12 vs At Large (Okie State vs Stanford)

Sugar = At large vs Non AQ (Michigan vs Houston)

Why in the world would the sugar bowl pick KSU over Michigan? Or VT over Michigan?

All schools will have 2 loses.

KSU doesn't travel, VT will have just lost.

Michigan is a tier 1 school who has had a miserable last 5 years and just won 10 games.

They are excited about their program and would love a trip to Nola.

Bottom line

Michigan = Tier 1 program in terms of history, tv, and fans

VT = Tier 2 program

KSU = Maybe a tier 2, could even be a tier 3

Here were my predictions earlier today based on who I think wins this weekend:

Rose:

Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Fiesta:

Oklahoma vs. Houston

Sugar:

Michigan vs. Stanford

Orange:

West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech

Title Game:

Alabama vs. LSU

***I could see Stanford and Houston swapping locations.

One loss Stanford?

They're one of the three. Alabama, Stanford, Houston/Boise (with a win/loss respectively).

There are 4 at-larges for the 10 games (including national title game).

Stop over thinking it.

BCS = LSU vs Alabama

Orange = VT vs Big East (WVU)

Rose = BIG 10 vs Pac (Wisconsin vs Oregon)

Fiesta = Big 12 vs At Large (Okie State vs Stanford)

Sugar = At large vs Non AQ (Michigan vs Houston)

Why in the world would the sugar bowl pick KSU over Michigan? Or VT over Michigan?

All schools will have 2 loses.

KSU doesn't travel, VT will have just lost.

Michigan is a tier 1 school who has had a miserable last 5 years and just won 10 games.

They are excited about their program and would love a trip to Nola.

Bottom line

Michigan = Tier 1 program in terms of history, tv, and fans

VT = Tier 2 program

KSU = Maybe a tier 2, could even be a tier 3

Y so cranky?

Michigan would have:

1. Worse overall record than VT.

2. Lower BCS rank by several spots.

3. No conference championship game appearance.

4. Worse losses (MSU/Iowa worse than Clemson 2x).

You're going on nebulous, subjective standards like "prestige", I'm going on objective numbers. The ENTIRE objective profile would be in favor of VT. The Fiesta/Sugar would be skewered for taking Michigan over VT, and rightfully so.

KSU even has a better profile than Michigan. The real debate should/would be KSU/VT. But it won't be.

If you can find OBJECTIVE evidence backing up Michigan over VT, present it.

They're one of the three. Alabama, Stanford, Houston/Boise (with a win/loss respectively).

There are 4 at-larges for the 10 games (including national title game).

Y so cranky?

Michigan would have:

1. Worse overall record than VT.

2. Lower BCS rank by several spots.

3. No conference championship game appearance.

4. Worse losses (MSU/Iowa worse than Clemson 2x).

You're going on nebulous, subjective standards like "prestige", I'm going on objective numbers. The ENTIRE objective profile would be in favor of VT. The Fiesta/Sugar would be skewered for taking Michigan over VT, and rightfully so.

KSU even has a better profile than Michigan. The real debate should/would be KSU/VT. But it won't be.

If you can find OBJECTIVE evidence backing up Michigan over VT, present it.

Wouldn't Mich and VT have the same number of losses?

Not the same number of wins.

True. Would that matter?

You always hear them speak of x-loss teams getting bids. Mich and VT would both be 2 loss teams. I'm not saying that's a justifiable case, its just how I feel it goes most of the time.

True. Would that matter?

You always hear them speak of x-loss teams getting bids. Mich and VT would both be 2 loss teams. I'm not saying that's a justifiable case, its just how I feel it goes most of the time.

I understand where you're coming from, but Michigan has quite possibly the WORST profile of any of the teams competing from that last spot, and it drives me batty to see people extolling the virtues of Michigan.

If OSU were to beat OU and Houston beating Southern Miss, the only 1-loss teams would be OSU, Alabama, Stanford, and Boise. OSU would be its conference champion, Alabama's the BCS #2, and Stanford is at-large #3. Houston would knock Boise out as the non-BCS AQ. Need one more sport, and it has to be a 2-loss teams.

If VT loses, OSU wins, Houston wins, LSU wins, here's the likely complete list of 2-loss teams:

1. VT

2. Arkansas

3. Oregon

4. KSU

5. South Carolina

6. MSU/Wiscy winner

7. Michigan

8. TCU

Arkansas is ineligible due to the 2-per-conference rule.

Oregon is the Pac-12 champ.

MSU/Wiscy is the Big X+II champ.

TCU is eliminated by the non-BCS qualifier (Houston)

That leaves FOUR and ONLY FOUR teams that have a shot: VT, KSU, South Cackalacky, and Michigan. The order I listed them isn't a coincidence; it's how they're ranked right now. VT would be the only one of them that made a conference title game. VT would be the only one with 11 wins. VT would almost certainly have the highest BCS rank of any of those 4 teams. VT and KSU would be the only ones to have both its losses come to BCS teams.

That's how I see it, anyway. Were I to rank it on who "should" be in, it would be: VT, KSU, USC-South, Michigan, in that order.