DOENumbers

CPF

209 Richlands 731

210 Greensville County 727

211 Robert E. Lee (St) AA 727

212 Goochland High A 722

213 Lee High 718

214 Marion Senior High 710

those ARE the new, correct numbers... Marion was still in AA using the wrong numbers

IF Tazewell drops w/o Richlands would it be to the BDD or the Mtn Empire? I would think MED

IF Tazewell and Marion drop then Richlands could probably apply for a hardship and imo would stand a fair chance of getting it. Then the Region D would go all to hell

IF Tazewell drops w/o Richlands would it be to the BDD or the Mtn Empire? I would think MED

IF Tazewell and Marion drop then Richlands could probably apply for a hardship and imo would stand a fair chance of getting it. Then the Region D would go all to hell

I don't think Richlands would qualify for hardship. Especially given their success in sports and that Abingdon still exists nearby.

I don't think Richlands would qualify for hardship. Especially given their success in sports and that Abingdon still exists nearby.

The only argument that Richlands could make is that they'd be a temporary outpost of the "Whatever Ridge" District for two years before they inevitably land in Single A. Can't imagine that the VHSL is going to be terribly sympathetic.

It will be interesting to see what Tazewell does, because they could be the lynchpin that allows the SWD to survive for two more years as a four school league.

The only argument that Richlands could make is that they'd be a temporary outpost of the "Whatever Ridge" District for two years before they inevitably land in Single A. Can't imagine that the VHSL is going to be terribly sympathetic.

It will be interesting to see what Tazewell does, because they could be the lynchpin that allows the SWD to survive for two more years as a four school league.

Why can't the SWD still exist as an A district?

Even if Marion, Richlands, and Tazewell all drop, they could pick Graham back up and have a 4 school district. Or if Abingdon gets hardship for travel, they could all be in the SWD at the A level. Those school are still marginally bigger than 90% of the local A schools.

Why can't the SWD still exist as an A district?

Even if Marion, Richlands, and Tazewell all drop, they could pick Graham back up and have a 4 school district. Or if Abingdon gets hardship for travel, they could all be in the SWD at the A level. Those school are still marginally bigger than 90% of the local A schools.

I was referring to the existing Class AA district currently known as the SWD. And my assumption was based on a stringent application of the classification system numbers (i.e. I don't think Richlands will be allowed to drop this time around). This would mean that the SWD as it is currently constituted would be reduced to three members, and my opinion is that it is unlikely that the VHSL would permit such a small league. There is a precedent for four-team districts (the New River of the late '80s immediately comes to mind), which could be accomplished if Tazewell opts to "play up" for one more cycle.

The other more tenable option might be for the SWD to function as a split district.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

I was referring to the existing Class AA district currently known as the SWD. And my assumption was based on a stringent application of the classification system numbers (i.e. I don't think Richlands will be allowed to drop this time around). This would mean that the SWD as it is currently constituted would be reduced to three members, and my opinion is that it is unlikely that the VHSL would permit such a small league. There is a precedent for four-team districts (the New River of the late '80s immediately comes to mind), which could be accomplished if Tazewell opts to "play up" for one more cycle.

The other more tenable option might be for the SWD to function as a split district.

No I get you. But is Richlands really going to get any bigger? I'm assuming at some point they'll all drop and when they do, those former AA schools that still have more students than most of the tenured A schools should stick together. I'm assuming Tazewell will join the MED soon and Marion the Hogo, but Richlands won't be too far behind and when that happens... Abingdon is going to be on an island far, far away.

Carroll at least has some proximity to Pulaski and the River Ridge. Abingdon...not so much. A SWD reunion at A could one day be a great option. Even for schools like Grundy who value wrestling and those old rivalries could reunite. We'll have to wait and see. Plus, we're not far removed from more consolidations either I'm afraid.

I would think that any schools dropping would be placed in Region D. A few years back the rationale for placing John Battle and Virginia High in D was to even the number of schools in C and D. Since then D has lost three schools. It would make little sense to place Marion in D- but if they go to C I would think someone would be moved- as they moved Battle. Tazewell and Richlands would probably be D.

When the decision wad made for Graham to drop to single A, it made the commitment to the MED for the long haul. In other words, there will be no SWD reunion in single A.

I would think that any schools dropping would be placed in Region D. A few years back the rationale for placing John Battle and Virginia High in D was to even the number of schools in C and D. Since then D has lost three schools. It would make little sense to place Marion in D- but if they go to C I would think someone would be moved- as they moved Battle. Tazewell and Richlands would probably be D.

Marion is surrounded on all sides by C schools.

No I get you. But is Richlands really going to get any bigger? I'm assuming at some point they'll all drop and when they do, those former AA schools that still have more students than most of the tenured A schools should stick together. I'm assuming Tazewell will join the MED soon and Marion the Hogo, but Richlands won't be too far behind and when that happens... Abingdon is going to be on an island far, far away.

Carroll at least has some proximity to Pulaski and the River Ridge. Abingdon...not so much. A SWD reunion at A could one day be a great option. Even for schools like Grundy who value wrestling and those old rivalries could reunite. We'll have to wait and see. Plus, we're not far removed from more consolidations either I'm afraid.

I would absolutely love to see the SWD of the 1970's reincarnated at the Single A level. And taking a long-term view, it's definitely within the realm of possibility that this can be done when all of the core members of that group finally drop from AA. In the short-term, I'm submitting that it makes sense for the SWD to become a split district because Richlands is likely to bounce up and down on the enrollment "bubble" between A and AA for quite some time. In the long-term, that would provide a solution for Abingdon that doesn't seem terribly objectionable.

Ultimately, I think Carroll County will either be better served in what's left of the Piedmont or they should become the only AA member of a hybrid MED.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

When the decision wad made for Graham to drop to single A, it made the commitment to the MED for the long haul. In other words, there will be no SWD reunion in single A.

The SWD lineup over which I am inclined to wax nostalgic is this ten school version:

Abingdon

Gate City

Graham

Grundy

John Battle

Marion

Patrick Henry

Richlands

Tazewell

Virginia High

From a practical standpoint, I realize that the exact reincarnation of this group is unlikely. Patrick Henry seems to be very satisfied with the Hogo (and they've been members of it for longer than they spent in the old SWD), and I wouldn't be surprised to see Marion favor Hogoheegee membership as well for travel reasons.

Since Graham is a founding member of the SWD, I would like to see them in the fold for sentimental reasons. But economics beats sentimentality every time, and I can understand why the MED makes perfect sense for Graham from a logistical standpoint.

Bottom line is that I'd like to see RHS land in a competitive district with at least 8 members (easy bracketing for tournaments) -- although 10 would be my preference (for absolute ease in terms of football scheduling).

Edited by RichlandsAlum

Marion is surrounded on all sides by C schools.

Agree. If Marion drops and goes to the Hogo I would think either Holston or PH would be moved to D- if the precedent set by the Battle move is followed. Enrollment size could be a consideration the CMD schools would be closer in enrollment size to Marion than the Hogo schools.

Agree. If Marion drops and goes to the Hogo I would think either Holston or PH would be moved to D- if the precedent set by the Battle move is followed. Enrollment size could be a consideration the CMD schools would be closer in enrollment size to Marion than the Hogo schools.

I doubt either of those will move either. All of the Hogo schools are very close in terms of distance. I don't see Holston or PH fitting in well with the Region D schools that are close to it (VHS, JSB, Lebanon). I think Marion will be an addition to the Hogo and that will be that.

I think you would see the combined district involving Richlands and Abingdon with Group A schools before either ends up in the River Ridge, particularly if a combo league is allowed in the Roanoke/Martinsville area.

The New River District actually operated with three schools (Carroll Co, BBurg and CBurg) for the first two years following Radford's drop to Group A (I'm thinking 1994-96), but I agree the VHSL would want to avoid that again if possible.

We'll have to wait and see. Plus, we're not far removed from more consolidations either I'm afraid.

What other possible future consolidations do you speak of?

Obviously Dickenson County is on the verge but who else may be taking that route?

What other possible future consolidations do you speak of?

Obviously Dickenson County is on the verge but who else may be taking that route?

Oh, I don't have any real evidence other than Dickenson. I think it's a trend that will continue, though. Schools around here aren't getting richer nor bigger.

Maybe Scott Co or Smyth Co?

Smyth is poor enough. Northwood and Marion are shrinking, Chilhowie is growing for whatever reason. Northwood and Chilhowie have been rumored for 25 years now. I think it'll be another 10 before it happens if it does. Smyth County people are slow, I should know...

Edited by deuceswild

209 Richlands 731

210 Greensville County 727

211 Robert E. Lee (St) AA 727

212 Goochland High A 722

213 Lee High 718

214 Marion Senior High 710

those ARE the new, correct numbers... Marion was still in AA using the wrong numbers[/quote

VHSL HELPER What happens if a school is under the number this year but goes over the number when the 2012-2013 numbers are counted??? For example, the upcoming eighth grade class is larger than the outgoing senior class.