Really Albert Pujols?

legend11

(To be read in the voice of Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler during the SNL segment "Weekend Update")

Really Albert Pujols. You're going to Anaheim? Really? Do you know the greatest thing to ever come out of Anaheim? A Disney movie about a fake youth hockey team that was coached by Emilio Estevez. That's the only thing to ever come out of Anaheim... unless you want to count a million or so people who are envious they aren't from Los Angeles. You want to waste away the prime of your career in a town that, compared to St. Louis, hardly knows or cares it has a baseball team? Really Albert? And to go to this horrible town you rejected a contract for Two Hundred and Twenty MILLION DOLLARS. Really? Yes, you are going to make $250 million now over the course of 10 years. What, Albert. Is that extra $30 million finally going to buy you that pair of Coach house shoes you always wanted? You'll be able to splurge on cashmere socks every once in a while now? Really Albert? You couldn't buy those with the $220 million St. Louis was going to give you? You had the chance to prove that you were loyal to a team, a city, and a fan base... AND STILL BE FILTHY RICH. But instead you sell your soul to the highest bidder for more money that you, your children, or your children's children will ever possibly be able to spend. Really, Albert Pujols.

Really.

Edited by legend11

Did you honestly believe that money wouldn't be sole reason he would/wouldn't go somewhere? He's got his World Series title and now he can be a DH in the future. Less work, more money as his career winds down in 5-10 years.

He's out of the National League, not in New York, and across the country. That's all I care about.

Guest The Variable
Did you honestly believe that money wouldn't be sole reason he would/wouldn't go somewhere? He's got his World Series title and now he can be a DH in the future. Less work, more money as his career winds down in 5-10 years.

He's out of the National League, not in New York, and across the country. That's all I care about.

This. Plus we dont have a sports culture anymore that cares about team/fan loyalty. Just ask Lebron. Ask Deon Sanders or T.O. It is all about the money whether they can spend it or not. It about believing you are the most valuable player in the league. They dont care about MVP, they care about everyone else knowing how important they are that they will get paid more than anyone else.

As a Reds fan, I couldnt be any happier unless he was playing 3rd base for cincy (I like Votto better).

I don't think the Cardinals were really serious about re-signing him to begin with. I think they had to make it look like they were trying (for the fans sake) but deep down they knew they can't afford him. Maybe if it were a 5 year deal they could feel confident in his ability to produce, but not a 10 year deal because in that second 5 years they would have $25 million per season tied up in an aging veteran who doesn't swing the bat quite like he used to and needs a few extra days off (See Chipper Jones). Likewise, I think that was part of the draw for him to go to the American League. He can DH down the line when his body can no longer handle playing defense every day.

At the end of the day the Cardinals are still a mid-market team with a mid-market budget. And until MLB does something to even the playing field between the have's and have not's the biggest stars are going to gravitate to the biggest markets. Just the way it is.

Post of the day.

Anaheim is the nicest city I've ever been to. 250 million is a lot more than 220 million. Disneyland is a badass place.

Can't really blame him I don't guess. He's not a machine, he's just Albert. And Albert, like the rest of us, loves money.

No, but it's still kind of irritating when a player like Pujols who has everything he could possibly want or need leaves a place that he fits into really well for a couple more bucks. He's worked hard to cultivate a good guy image, and this really does just throw all that down the drain. I wouldn't have lumped him with the LeBron/Deion/TO group of money-hungry players. Instead I would have put him in the Jeter/Ripken Jr./Larry Bird camp of players who get obscenely rich and also come across as being a good person, instead of just being another greedy a-hole.

No, but it's still kind of irritating when a player like Pujols who has everything he could possibly want or need leaves a place that he fits into really well for a couple more bucks. He's worked hard to cultivate a good guy image, and this really does just throw all that down the drain. I wouldn't have lumped him with the LeBron/Deion/TO group of money-hungry players. Instead I would have put him in the Jeter/Ripken Jr./Larry Bird camp of players who get obscenely rich and also come across as being a good person, instead of just being another greedy a-hole.

I see where you're coming from. I would've thought the same thing a few years ago too, but I've actually known a few people who randomly had interaction with Pujols in the past several years and he sounds like one of the worst human beings on the planet. Fan treatment, arrogance, all of it.

Grade A dbag, from their perspective.

Did'nt LeBron take a slight pay cut when he went to the Heat?

I see where you're coming from. I would've thought the same thing a few years ago too, but I've actually known a few people who randomly had interaction with Pujols in the past several years and he sounds like one of the worst human beings on the planet. Fan treatment, arrogance, all of it.

Grade A dbag, from their perspective.

Again, disappointing but not surprising. Hate to hear it.

Very upset about this....Oh well, looks like we need to start fresh with a new manager and no Pujols...

I mean, the Cards are still going to be very good. Lance Berkman will fill in at first and the deal is almost done for Carlos Beltran. Plus, getting Wainwright back adds to an already stacked pitching staff.