126 lbs. J. Brewer (FC) fall C. Beamis (GC) :48

138 lbs. T. Engberg (GX) win by FF

152 lbs. K. Robinson (GX) win by FF

160 lbs. T. Carrico (CG) win by FF

182 lbs. A. Huff (FC) win by FF

220 lbs. T. Evans (GR) win by FF

285 lbs. D. Cooper (GX) win by FF

Edited by Slap the Mat

How did you get that from what he said? He said Grundy was on another level and asked if second was a possibility. Sounds to me like he was showing Grundy some respect.

To answer the original question, I doubt they will get that close. It will be hard for Graham to get enough wrestlers out of region C to contend for a State Team title.

so, you expect them to beat us at state?

maybe he needs reading glasses or to clean computer screen. the question was so obvious it slapped me in the face. no one said anything about beating grundy only how feasible is second place. or maybe he was thinking grundy would not be first and would be lower and have to play for second place. who knows. only he knows what he is thinking and reading into a post.

How did you get that from what he said? He said Grundy was on another level and asked if second was a possibility. Sounds to me like he was showing Grundy some respect.

To answer the original question, I doubt they will get that close. It will be hard for Graham to get enough wrestlers out of region C to contend for a State Team title.

Yes, that was my question. Don't know how someone could've taken it out of context, but OK.

And I appreciate the answer. I don't keep up with wrestling that much, so 29-0 really looks quite impressive on paper. I do know that Graham put quite a bit of attention into the wrestling program in the early part of last decade, and it's certainly coming through now.

A follow up question: who are the heavy hitters on the road to the finals?

simple.. for Graham to get 2nd would mean out-pointing Grundy.

Grundy WILL NOT win state... don't know of many ppl. who believe they will. I doubt we'll even get 2nd. We've only got, what, 2 kids back that were top 6 last year? We've been 2 guys short all year, and usually had 1 or 2 more starters out due to injuries a lot of times. I'll be happy with a top 5 finish... hope for a top 3.

Here's the thing... Manassas Park apparently hasn't been at full strength any tme this year, so it's hard to gage them. Strasburg and Galax are also question marks. Coverage/results are almost impossible to find, so I'm waiting for Regionals before I make my final guess.

Grundy will be in the top 3, Winning is a different story. If the kids from Grundy wrestle the way they have all year i see us placing in the top 8 atleast 7 to 8 kids.(hurley,compton,elswick,smith,street,mcclahan,hankins,mcowen) All those kids have a real chance plus you could throw Cox in to the conversation also. Im not saying all these kids will place as i know that anything can happen in wrestling with inj. getting caught etc. Just think we have a solid team with a couple or a few state champs thrown in there.

Graham is having a great season due to a group of solid wrestlers and some good luck in escaping the illness and the injury bugs that can so easily deplete a lineup. Graham has been fortunate to be able to put 12 to 14 wrestlers on the mat for most of the season. This combined with the drop to single A and a new district have been favorable to G-Men wrestling. The MED Tournament that Graham won is their first ever District title in wrestling, including all the years in the SWD. Graham has not wrestled Grundy this year head to head as they have for the years they were both in the SWD. At tournaments this season Graham and Grundy wrestlers have met with very predictable results. If Graham and Grundy did wrestle a dual, Graham would be hard pressed to win a single match. Grundy always has been, is now, and will always be on a higher level with their wrestling program. Graham's current success owes a lot to the Grundy Wrestling Club. In 1993 the Grundy Club assisted with the start-up of the Bluefield Wrestling Club. They provided guidance, expertise, and help in acquiring mats. Ten wrestlers in the Graham line-up came up through the club, several of them starting when they were in kindergarten.

Graham will have a very tough time getting a lot of wrestlers through the Region C Tournament. Region C is loaded with talent and the tournament will be very competitive. If Graham could get 4 or 5 wrestlers through to the State it would be a great accomplishment. A top 10 finish at State would be great, but very hard to do.

I believe that Grundy can compete for the state title and a top 3 finish is very likely.

Good luck to Coach Travis Fiser and the Golden Wave wrestlers as they compete in the Region D Tournament!

Good luck to Coach Tim Woodward and the G-Men wrestlers as they compete in the Region C Tournament!