Local players at UVA-W

redtiger

I read an article in the latest Coalfield Progress, there are a couple of local players that are looking for more playing time at new positions. Tyler Courtney(Coeburn) is moving from defensive back to Tight End, he did play TE as a Jr at Coeburn. The guy has put on something like 30 pounds in the off season, working hard to get on the field. Another was John Kelley from Grundy, he will be moving from QB to Defensive Line(I assume DE). Its gonna be a hard road for Kelley, there are several players from local schools at UVA-W fighting for playing time at DE opposite of Russell Hull(Clintwood, the guys a very good player).

Coach Lusk also stated in the article that he was looking to get tougher kids on the field. I hope thats a sign that UVA-W will take a harder look at recruiting more local kids.

Edited by redtiger

We have had this discussion on another forum, a lot of local kids don't quit early on. Kids in this area don't understand the dedication and commitment that come with playing in college and usually quit after a semester and a season.

I read an article in the latest Coalfield Progress, there are a couple of local players that are looking for more playing time at new positions. Tyler Courtney(Coeburn) is moving from defensive back to Tight End, he did play TE as a Jr at Coeburn. The guy has put on something like 30 pounds in the off season, working hard to get on the field. Another was John Kelley from Grundy, he will be moving from QB to Defensive Line(I assume DE). Its gonna be a hard road for Kelley, there are several players from local schools at UVA-W fighting for playing time at DE opposite of Russell Hull(Clintwood, the guys a very good player).

Coach Lusk also stated in the article that he was looking to get tougher kids on the field. I hope thats a sign that UVA-W will take a harder look at recruiting more local kids.

Kelly played DE at Grundy and did good...he's a big kid and moves well...and the coaches seem to like him...i think he will do well.

I was thinking he played that position at Grundy. The article mentioned his size as a positive. No offense to him but I didnt think he was QB material at that level, good player just not a QB.

Balancing College and sports would be alot to handle. Both are 2-3 steps up from what most kids experienced in high school. I imagine it would be a major shock.

I was thinking he played that position at Grundy. The article mentioned his size as a positive. No offense to him but I didnt think he was QB material at that level, good player just not a QB.

Balancing College and sports would be alot to handle. Both are 2-3 steps up from what most kids experienced in high school. I imagine it would be a major shock.

I will take a 6ft 5 QB thats quick on his feet and can throw an accurate pass about any place on the field any day...just depends on what you are looking for in a QB I guess...if its a Vick type then you got the wrong guy...if its a Marino pocket passer type that can see the field and make good decisions on the fly then Kelly is a good option. If he has a flaw, its waiting in the pocket too long...he is very patient and waits for plays to develop..sometimes he hangs around a little longer than he should.

I will take a 6ft 5 QB thats quick on his feet and can throw an accurate pass about any place on the field any day...just depends on what you are looking for in a QB I guess...if its a Vick type then you got the wrong guy...if its a Marino pocket passer type that can see the field and make good decisions on the fly then Kelly is a good option. If he has a flaw, its waiting in the pocket too long...he is very patient and waits for plays to develop..sometimes he hangs around a little longer than he should.

Kelly is very strong, he had 5 kids hanging on him during the 2010 Hurley massacre and threw a TD. I think he will be able to adjust to full time DE pretty well.

Former JJK standout Jeremiah Cooke had a solid freshman season last year with plenty of playing time. Look for him to have a big season

Edited by Unchained

In regard to Kelly, he just doesent have the QB talent, again no offense meant but Brad Robbins was WAY better and didnt get on the field until his SR season. I think Kelly will have a solid career as a DE.

The DE group at Wise goes 4-5 deep and may well be the strength of the team. That kind of depth will keep everyone fresh and could lead to a good season for those guys

I think Kelly will have a solid career as a DE. The DE group at Wise goes 4-5 deep and may well be the strength of the team. That kind of depth will keep everyone fresh and could lead to a good season and big #s for those guys

I dunno...but just the fact he was recruited as a QB shows they thought he had talent there...he has filled out a little since he went there and put on some muscle weight...you don't see many QB's that can play DE...should be interesting to see what he does later on as a JR and SR...I think he will get playing time.