Big (L)east commish resigns...

GMan

It has to be tough to be in charge of a schizophrenic organization. It acts like an all sports conference when it is at its core only interested in basketball. In today's climate, they are going to have to decide to be one or the other.

It has to be tough to be in charge of a schizophrenic organization. It acts like an all sports conference when it is at its core only interested in basketball. In today's climate, they are going to have to decide to be one or the other.

That is exactly why they are screwed. They haven't been proactive and thought basketball could hold it together.

The ACC is a Basketball first conference. This is the first year in probably 5 ish that outside of Duke and UNC, that it has been relevant in basketball. In this year's tourney the ACC only had 3 teams make it into the second round and losing Duke in the first round to LeHigh. The Big (L)east as some like to refer to it as had twice as many (6) including 1 in the final four. Before you go throwing tradition and championships Big East 11 / ACC 12. As for football, the ACC has been to 15 BCS games with a record of 2-13 while the BE has a 7-7 mark in 14 games. Both are 1-2 in 3 BCS title appearances. Adding Cuse and Pitt is a bball move only because their football hasn't been relevant in many years consistently. There has been some talk of VT possibly moving to the B12 along with FSU if that happens. The B12 is one of two conferences that is consistently powerful in both basketball and football.

The conference comparison was for the Big (L)east jokes. Just showing a comparison because my team is out of the Big East.

The conference comparison was for the Big (L)east jokes. Just showing a comparison because my team is out of the Big East.

And is now Big Tex's bitch...

I hate to tell you but WVU made their bed...VT WILL NOT be joining them in the mess that is the Big XII-2...no way, no how, not going to happen.

The ACC is a Basketball first conference. This is the first year in probably 5 ish that outside of Duke and UNC, that it has been relevant in basketball. In this year's tourney the ACC only had 3 teams make it into the second round and losing Duke in the first round to LeHigh. The Big (L)east as some like to refer to it as had twice as many (6) including 1 in the final four. Before you go throwing tradition and championships Big East 11 / ACC 12. As for football, the ACC has been to 15 BCS games with a record of 2-13 while the BE has a 7-7 mark in 14 games. Both are 1-2 in 3 BCS title appearances. Adding Cuse and Pitt is a bball move only because their football hasn't been relevant in many years consistently. There has been some talk of VT possibly moving to the B12 along with FSU if that happens. The B12 is one of two conferences that is consistently powerful in both basketball and football.

That's such a sweet eulogy. You should have said all those nice things to the Big East before it was dead.

I hate to tell you but WVU made their bed...VT WILL NOT be joining them in the mess that is the Big XII-2...no way, no how, not going to happen.

What about VT to the SEC? As a football fan I would love to see that happen...

What about VT to the SEC? As a football fan I would love to see that happen...

Two chances...Slim and none...and Slim is on his horse, heading off into the sunset...

Two chances...Slim and none...and Slim is on his horse, heading off into the sunset...

If the SEC ever wanted to go to 16 teams going into VA and NC would make sense though. I guess my question was more if on the slim chance VT were offered an invitation, would they take it?

We shall see. WVU has taken the right steps to be taken more serious in college sports. They have proved they can play with anyone, now it comes in the form of week in and week out. You hate to tell me that WVU made their bed? OK? Yes they chose this, they will be fine in both bball and football. I mean they could have stayed in a very mediocre conference like the Big East or the ACC, but chose not too. I'll take getting to see Oklahoma, Texas, TTU, OSU, TCU, etc... at Mountaineer Field anyday. How exactly is the B12 a mess? 3 conference champions from last year in addition to the rest of the very competitive B12. They seem to be pretty solid, not a mess. I'm sure VT will stay in the ACC, just a point of discussion from an article. Outside of Clemson last year twice, VT has it made... in football.

We shall see. WVU has taken the right steps to be taken more serious in college sports. They have proved they can play with anyone, now it comes in the form of week in and week out. You hate to tell me that WVU made their bed? OK? Yes they chose this, they will be fine in both bball and football. I mean they could have stayed in a very mediocre conference like the Big East or the ACC, but chose not too. I'll take getting to see Oklahoma, Texas, TTU, OSU, TCU, etc... at Mountaineer Field anyday. How exactly is the B12 a mess? 3 conference champions from last year in addition to the rest of the very competitive B12. They seem to be pretty solid, not a mess. I'm sure VT will stay in the ACC, just a point of discussion from an article. Outside of Clemson last year twice, VT has it made... in football.

A few points:

1.) You act like WVU is taken seriously on a national stage. Yes, they've gained some respect in the recent years, and most notably the Orange Bowl, but you're still a world away from being mentioned with the "big boys." MOST of of your rational fans will admit that too. Credit where credit is due though, you have a great opportunity to succeed in the Big XII though. Beating Oklahoma, Texas, OK State, and a few others routinely will get you that.

2.) Ironic thread is ironic. You say that WVU "could've stayed in a mediocre conference like the Big East or ACC, but chose not to." You are wrong again. Yes, you could've stayed in the Big East, but you NEVER had a shot at the ACC, I don't care what you heard on the Blue Lot. UNC, Duke, UVA and the other schools would've probably disbanded as a conference before they invited WVU. Deep down you know that too. You had NO SHOT at the ACC. Since you had NO SHOT from the beginning with the ACC, you didn't "choose not stay in a mediocre conference," if one considers the ACC a "mediocre conference."

3.) You act like you, your entire fan base, the administration, and Oliver Luck wouldn't have jumped at the chance to join the ACC if they had in fact offered you an invite. Every one of you wanted the conference games with Maryland, Miami, FSU, Clemson, and you wanted your rivalry restored with VT. In reality, you SETTLED on the Big XII because no one else (read: SEC and ACC) wanted you bad enough. You knew the Big East was sinking and you had to get out, that part is correct. You just fail to mention that you were picked over by the SEC and were never in the discussion for the ACC. Because you had to move, you were forced to choose Plan C. Everyone knows you REALLY want to establish that WVU/Iowa State rivalry.

In closing, you "chose" Plan C. You "chose" to better yourself in the college football world by taking the ONLY option you had to do that. Luckily, it just so happens that you've made out alright with that.

[in before the obligatory, irrelevant to the conversation, VT ___________ comment by fieldgeneral]

In reality, you SETTLED on the Big XII because no one else (read: SEC and ACC) wanted you bad enough.

That's all you needed to say about that...

I'm perfectly happy in the Big XII. Its one of the better sports conferences in the entire country, surely better than the Big East.

Of course I would have preferred to be in the ACC/SEC first, but the fact is, as long as we got out of the Big East before it completely sank, I would be happy. And that's exactly what happened. I think most WVU supporters would agree.

A few points:

1.) You act like WVU is taken seriously on a national stage. Yes, they've gained some respect in the recent years, and most notably the Orange Bowl, but you're still a world away from being mentioned with the "big boys." MOST of of your rational fans will admit that too. Credit where credit is due though, you have a great opportunity to succeed in the Big XII though. Beating Oklahoma, Texas, OK State, and a few others routinely will get you that.

2.) Ironic thread is ironic. You say that WVU "could've stayed in a mediocre conference like the Big East or ACC, but chose not to." You are wrong again. Yes, you could've stayed in the Big East, but you NEVER had a shot at the ACC, I don't care what you heard on the Blue Lot. UNC, Duke, UVA and the other schools would've probably disbanded as a conference before they invited WVU. Deep down you know that too. You had NO SHOT at the ACC. Since you had NO SHOT from the beginning with the ACC, you didn't "choose not stay in a mediocre conference," if one considers the ACC a "mediocre conference."

3.) You act like you, your entire fan base, the administration, and Oliver Luck wouldn't have jumped at the chance to join the ACC if they had in fact offered you an invite. Every one of you wanted the conference games with Maryland, Miami, FSU, Clemson, and you wanted your rivalry restored with VT. In reality, you SETTLED on the Big XII because no one else (read: SEC and ACC) wanted you bad enough. You knew the Big East was sinking and you had to get out, that part is correct. You just fail to mention that you were picked over by the SEC and were never in the discussion for the ACC. Because you had to move, you were forced to choose Plan C. Everyone knows you REALLY want to establish that WVU/Iowa State rivalry.

In closing, you "chose" Plan C. You "chose" to better yourself in the college football world by taking the ONLY option you had to do that. Luckily, it just so happens that you've made out alright with that.

[in before the obligatory, irrelevant to the conversation, VT ___________ comment by fieldgeneral]

1. I said they have taken the steps to be taken seriously. Honestly, a hokie fan yapping about being taken seriously is funny. I mean how many times can you lose to Clemson? WVU had one shot and blew their doors off.

2. I never said they could have went to the ACC. I know Duke and Unc would have never had it. It really proves that noone matters in the ACC outside of Tobacco Road. Honestly WVU looked into the ACC / SEC because they knew the state of the BE. They could have stayed and it would have looked like a brother to C-USA. It may have been plan C, it may have been in the works prior to the other two. You only know what the media threw out there. Same here. But in the end, WVU has ended up in a much better conference than the ACC or the Big East. They have a huge opportunity coming in this year with 14 starters returning for football.

What would you consider the Big East? I gave you the stats. They are essentially the same as the ACC in categories that matter.

3. Sure we weren't invited by ACC or SEC. Geographically either would have been a better fit. Of course we were smart enough to look to get out of a sinking ship. We would have been stupid to stay. I never acted like anything that you say. You seem to want to say that I did this or acted like that or failed to mention this or that. I don't think anything I said was wrong or acting like anything you said, you assumed those things.

Iowa st? Hell they could have probably won the ACC this year. If you call moving to B12 settling.....then hell yes we settled. VT has settled to try to be Football King in a bball only conference.

A few points:

Completely disagree with your first point, but points 2 and 3 are dead-on bullseye.

1. I said they have taken the steps to be taken seriously. Honestly, a hokie fan yapping about being taken seriously is funny. I mean how many times can you lose to Clemson? WVU had one shot and blew their doors off.

It only took until the second sentence of your post to insert the irrelevant VT comment that I mentioned at the end of my first post.

I never said anything about VT "being taken seriously" in that entire post. As a matter of fact, I've never claimed that VT was a big boy in the college football world either. I guess that if you stare at a computer screen long enough you start to see what you want to.

Completely disagree with your first point, but points 2 and 3 are dead-on bullseye.

Agree to disagree.

But a quick synopsis of my reasoning: The team that beat Clemson like a drum is also the same team that was murdered by Syracuse and could've easily lost the Pitt and USF games too. A few (un)lucky breaks and WVU might have finished at 8-4, 7-5 last season. I know "ifs and buts" get messy and you can't rely on those, but I think a few media outlets see it my way too. Like Gomer loves to point out in his posts, WVU is coming off a BCS record performance and returns 14 players next season. Despite that, they are still ranked in their conference preseason anywhere from 3rd to 5th. Not a whole lot of respect, IMO. Like I said in my OP, if they can knock off Texas, Oklahoma, and the other big boys routinely then they'll be sitting pretty.

It only took until the second sentence of your post to insert the irrelevant VT comment that I mentioned at the end of my first post.

I never said anything about VT "being taken seriously" in that entire post. As a matter of fact, I've never claimed that VT was a big boy in the college football world either. I guess that if you stare at a computer screen long enough you start to see what you want to.

Agree to disagree.

But a quick synopsis of my reasoning: The team that beat Clemson like a drum is also the same team that was murdered by Syracuse and could've easily lost the Pitt and USF games too. A few (un)lucky breaks and WVU might have finished at 8-4, 7-5 last season. I know "ifs and buts" get messy and you can't rely on those, but I think a few media outlets see it my way too. Like Gomer loves to point out in his posts, WVU is coming off a BCS record performance and returns 14 players next season. Despite that, they are still ranked in their conference preseason anywhere from 3rd to 5th. Not a whole lot of respect, IMO. Like I said in my OP, if they can knock off Texas, Oklahoma, and the other big boys routinely then they'll be sitting pretty.

Could've, would've, should've. They didn't. I could use that exact same logic on the Hokies. If GT doesn't commit a dumb penalty; if the UNC game was officiated even close to fairly; and if Miami had any idea how to defend a 4th-and-1 when the game's on the line, then VT's 8-4 last season and UVA's laughing all the way to the ACC Title Game. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

That "ranked 3rd-5th" pre-season statement is a bit disingenuous. They aren't in the Big Nothing anymore. When you consider that the conference has not only UT and OU, but also a K-State team that was Top-10 last season and an OKST team that is going to be around for a LONG time, then 3rd-5th's not that bad.

WVU has won 3 BCS games in the last 6 seasons. In fact, I think they just scored again on the team that lit VT up twice last season. That's "big boy". That's "relevant". That's "anything that signifies that this team is on the national stage".

That's my reasoning, anyhow.

Could've, would've, should've. They didn't. I could use that exact same logic on the Hokies. If GT doesn't commit a dumb penalty; if the UNC game was officiated even close to fairly; and if Miami had any idea how to defend a 4th-and-1 when the game's on the line, then VT's 8-4 last season and UVA's laughing all the way to the ACC Title Game. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

But you would still have had 38-0 hanging off your backside...

Agree to disagree.

You took the first jab with the Iowa St. comment. You may have waited till the end, but I led off with it....big whoop.

Sure we could have ended up 0-12 if things went a different way, but they didn't. VT probably could have made it to a title bowl had they not lost to JMU and Boise in a previous season, but they didn't. We could make up all sorts of scenarios. WVU finished 10-3 and not anything better or worse. When it boils down to it, WVU was in it's first year in a completely new offense. They ran a defense that was a very bend but don't break and had it's flaws. A first year Head coach in a major FBS school as well. They had some growing pains, sure. There is a lot of hype around the team for the year to come. YES , I DID SAY THEY RETURN 14 STARTERS......once again big whoop. It's a stat that you will see from any team talking about the upcoming season.

They can be ranked anywhere 1-5 in that conference. Oklahoma ended up 4th last year with a great team. They just fell short in a couple of key games. A 10-3 record is nothing horrible, it won't get you a title which is everyone's goal. I can easily see them from a 2-5 finish in the Big XII. The Big XII is very similar to the brand of football being played in the SEC. It is the next most competitive conference right now. One Espn guy has them 7th preseason in the country while an SI guy has them 13th.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/01/11/way-too-early-2012-top-25/index.html

I agree whole-heartedly with knocking off the big boys week in and week out. They took the right steps to become one of those schools. They may have looked elsewhere first, but things worked out really good for them. The Big XII will boast 3 conference champions this year and none of those are named Oklahoma or Texas.