ervinton high is done...

Its not about being smart at one school and not smart at another, its about(and im just making this up as an example) a 3.8 GPA is good enough for 4th in the class at Ervinton but in a larger student pool at Haysi or Clintwood a 3.8 is 11th. Not top 10, no bragging rights(to neighbors, schlorship givers or admissions officers) and I understand that but its not a legit arguement for keeping a school open and imo is selfish in the big picture.

Being top 10 in your high school class doesn't mean squirt to colleges...they look at the other numbers: overall GPA, SAT scores, etc.... Also, I was never asked on any job interview/application where I finished in my class in high school (which, BTW, was #10 in a class with 6 valedictorians and 3 salutatorians...I made one "B" in art class for calling the teacher a "fat bi!ch"). People who think it matters are just kidding themselves...

besides, top ten out of 45 isint really anything to gloat about

I was REALLY close to posting this, but I didn't...

Being top 10 in your high school class doesn't mean squirt to colleges...they look at the other numbers: overall GPA, SAT scores, etc.... Also, I was never asked on any job interview/application where I finished in my class in high school (which, BTW, was #10 in a class with 6 valedictorians and 3 salutatorians...I made one "B" in art class for calling the teacher a "fat bi!ch"). People who think it matters are just kidding themselves...

Class rank isn't nearly as important is PERCENTAGE. That's the rubric that colleges use (Top 5% of class, Top 10% of class, etc.). 20th out of 100 is better than 9th out of 30, and so on.

the way i see it, if your a smart kid, got good grades at ervinton, then i don't see no reason why you wouldn't at haysi or clintwood....maybe some of them had it to easy at ervinton...don't know just speculation on my part..

No more calls, we have a winner!

Edited by UVAObserver

My senior year, John Battle actually did away with keeping up with stuff like this, since nobody really cares anymore what place you ranked in your class.

Top 10 is still a big deal over here.

My brother was top 10(#8-9 I think), he didnt work espicially hard for it, hes smart and all he just didnt concern himself with working hard to get great grades, hes an electrician(well hes an apprentice right now), it wasnt a great accomplishment. Not trying to down anyone or their child but at a small school it really carries 0 weight, like UVAO said, overall GPA and percentage is what matters.

"Being top 10 in your high school class doesn't mean squirt to colleges...they look at the other numbers: overall GPA, SAT scores, etc.... Also, I was never asked on any job interview/application where I finished in my class in high school (which, BTW, was #10 in a class with 6 valedictorians and 3 salutatorians...I made one "B" in art class for calling the teacher a "fat bi!ch"). People who think it matters are just kidding themselves..."

"Class rank isn't nearly as important is PERCENTAGE. That's the rubric that colleges use (Top 5% of class, Top 10% of class, etc.). 20th out of 100 is better than 9th out of 30, and so on."

Colleges vary considerably in what they look at. Indeed a great many do look at percentage- but several still look at class ranking. When I was doing resumes many years ago- have helped a few folks recently- things like class ranking were generally used to "puff" a resume. You wanted a page, wanted it to look good or sound impressive.

This applies not just to high school ranking. When I was in D.C. a really nice young intern (interns didn't cause as much trouble then) wanted to stay in Washington. She had her eyes on a secretarial job over at Defense. She had a slender resume that needed fattening. In her high school days she was a head majorette. This led a creative friend of mine to translate it into "Exercised leadership skills in marching and precision drilling at an early age." We felt even that could be improved upon- she had never hurt herself or inflicted injury on anyone else with her baton. It was changed therefore to "Safely and skillfully exercised leadership abilities in marching and precision drilling at an early age." She got the job.

"Being top 10 in your high school class doesn't mean squirt to colleges...they look at the other numbers: overall GPA, SAT scores, etc.... Also, I was never asked on any job interview/application where I finished in my class in high school (which, BTW, was #10 in a class with 6 valedictorians and 3 salutatorians...I made one "B" in art class for calling the teacher a "fat bi!ch"). People who think it matters are just kidding themselves..."

"Class rank isn't nearly as important is PERCENTAGE. That's the rubric that colleges use (Top 5% of class, Top 10% of class, etc.). 20th out of 100 is better than 9th out of 30, and so on."

Colleges vary considerably in what they look at. Indeed a great many do look at percentage- but several still look at class ranking. When I was doing resumes many years ago- have helped a few folks recently- things like class ranking were generally used to "puff" a resume. You wanted a page, wanted it to look good or sound impressive.

This applies not just to high school ranking. When I was in D.C. a really nice young intern (interns didn't cause as much trouble then) wanted to stay in Washington. She had her eyes on a secretarial job over at Defense. She had a slender resume that needed fattening. In her high school days she was a head majorette. This led a creative friend of mine to translate it into "Exercised leadership skills in marching and precision drilling at an early age." We felt even that could be improved upon- she had never hurt herself or inflicted injury on anyone else with her baton. It was changed therefore to "Safely and skillfully exercised leadership abilities in marching and precision drilling at an early age." She got the job.

It does not follow that using class rank as resume fodder (I was as guilty as anyone in HS) means that colleges use it as a meaningful criterion. What you say about clever resume enhacement is well-taken, and I agree on that point, but I cannot think of a college that still uses the practice. I know that many care if you were the valedictorian or salutatorian, because generally, those two categories will be solid regardless of class size. But class rank cares not if your graduating class had 17 or 600. But colleges should. And do.