2 schools, 1 program

redtiger

What does it take for a school system to operate athletically like Bland Co does?

Bland High and Rocky Gap High play together as Bland but are 2 seperate schools. I know for BC if they werent allowed to play as 1 then neither school would have a football program and other sports probably wouldnt be possible. DCs case is very different, I was just wondering if its a possability.

I was thinking helper might know something about this

700-750

Its not a necesity or anyhthing like that, it just would make consolidation go over better. Not seeking to gain any kind of "competitive edge" or anything like that. It would also be good for the area in terms of the district shakeup that will take place after next season, Ridgeview would start out in a new district with everyone else instead of being a couple of years behind

From the VHSL handbook:

68-1-2 Combined Football Teams-

Group A schools with limited enrollment may sponsor a combined football team under the following conditions:

(1) The two schools involved must be in the same school division with a combined

enrollment (grades 10-12) not to exceed 300 students;

(2) the schools must have the written consent of their school board, and

(3) this “combined team” must be approved by a majority vote of the Group A Board for a two-year period only. Application for a combined team must be submitted to the League office prior to March 1 in an even-numbered year.

so occording to the rules, no. But I wonder what the chances are IF a school division applies for the 1st condition to be waived. I would think it might be waived since the Group A board would still have to vote on it. Hummm?

Thanks Gman

East and West Campus, that could work.

A central football or Baseball practice facility isnt possible. Everything else could be accomodated. Baseball could be done at either Clintwood or Ervinton(sorta cetral) but Football would have to be done 1 week at Haysi and 1 at Clintwood.

Edited by redtiger

These are really good ideas for this kind of situation (and could set a good example if successful for future consolidations in the area), but what are the odds that anything like this would happen?

The idea of going ahead and changing the school names from Clintwood and Haysi to Ridgeview East and West has already been thrown around but they would be playing as two seperate programs(I really dont think thats a good idea). I personally think having two campuses is the way to go, kinda go ahead and get the ball rolling and this would also ease the transition for the students from Ervinton(even though its not a possability for this upcommiung year).

I think the 2 schools 1 programs chances areslim to none but the 2 campuses plan might work, the chances are definately better. Neither is probably gonna happen but I have already spoken with a school board member on the matter and he/she thinks its a good idea and would support it for the 2013-2014 school year, we just needed more info on the rules and the process involved.

Thanks swvacsas2, I probably would have thought about going in that direction but it wouyld have taken me a week or so to get there.

I believe Mullins will be the HC. He just won a state title and if you look at the Clintwood program it was in bad shape before he took over and now they have a solid offseason program, alot of turn out, the kids are really excited to play for him and alot of success. I would like to see Mullins as HC and Coach Colley as Offensive coordinator/ asst HC, but I dont think that will happen. Mullins could learn alot from Coach Colley. In the past few years Clintwood has tried to run some tings other than various forms of the I and have had limited success doing so. I think with Mullins as HC and Colley as OC the offense would be a handfull for anyone to stop; a pounding rushing attack with an efficient, QB friendly passing game. Then again, Coach Colley could come in as the HC for a few years then let Mullins take over. Either way, as long as both are on the staff it will be good fore the program.

I dont see James Colley coaching for too many more years and I dont see Rick Mullins giving up coaching anytime in the near future.

Actually the coaching staff at Ridgeview will be incredible! Lots of good coaches and good people, with experience that are concerned with the kids 1st and foremost.

Edited by redtiger

Just so you know as a BC person. Having two schools was a great idea when the county first decided to do so but as of today it is a daily nightmare. With the number of cuts and shortage of personnel it is hard to find drivers for daily activity drivers so the kids can practice. Our facilities are way behind of where they should be. And most importantly our kids don't know what they are. They have certain people in the school and community telling them about the good ole days of being an Eagle or Rocket that they don't have school spirt to be proud of being a Bear and setting there own mark. They really need to be put in one school for the athletic teams to see anymore success.

Thanks, I really appreciate the "inside" point of view.

I wouldnt think that type of setup would work longterm(like you said the kids dont know who they are) but for DC it would only be for 3-4 years, until the new school is built. I dont think the new will have worn off in that short time.