And there you have it...

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-spw-bcs-championships-062612,0,5249844.story

Looks like the BCS system is officially dead come 2014 and the 4 team playoff will take it's place.

Something's bugging me though. All through the season, you can look at the polls and see who's number 1, 2, etc., and at the end of the season you've got a pretty good idea who's playing for the national championship (number 1 vs. number 2 obviously). So what about this new system? Won't it pretty much be the same, with polls you can look at all season, only this time numbers 1-4 get in? Doesn't seem like that much of a change to me (though I don't get into college sports details like most people).

Also, it mentioned that the system we have now of picking the teams to play in the championship has been in place since '98, but what was it like before then?

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-spw-bcs-championships-062612,0,5249844.story

Looks like the BCS system is officially dead come 2014 and the 4 team playoff will take it's place.

Something's bugging me though. All through the season, you can look at the polls and see who's number 1, 2, etc., and at the end of the season you've got a pretty good idea who's playing for the national championship (number 1 vs. number 2 obviously). So what about this new system? Won't it pretty much be the same, with polls you can look at all season, only this time numbers 1-4 get in? Doesn't seem like that much of a change to me (though I don't get into college sports details like most people).

Also, it mentioned that the system we have now of picking the teams to play in the championship has been in place since '98, but what was it like before then?

A shame that we have to wait until 2014 on it, but there you go.

FINALLY.

better than nothing, but I'd rather see 8 or 16 teams in the mix...there would be some drama with that many I'm sure...this is still better than current system I think.

better than nothing, but I'd rather see 8 or 16 teams in the mix...there would be some drama with that many I'm sure...this is still better than current system I think.

16 is ideal. It'd be bigger than March Madness...imagine seeing those 8 first-round games on opening Saturday. Ooooh, baby.

I'd love to see more teams too. Maybe if this four team playoff is a hit, but fans say they want more, maybe they'll add more teams in the future.

thats what I'm hoping for...take what we can get for now.

16 Teams would be EPIC, but also at the same time you have to be thinking of the players safety, not only would that play into a deeper season but it would also wear the players down, plus you would have teams playing weaker games during the regular season due to the playoff format which in return would just make this a who is in the best confrence type of system and no cinderellas. I think the 4 team sysetm will work for a little bit but people always want more and it will continue to grow from 4 to 8 to 16 eventually.

16 Teams would be EPIC, but also at the same time you have to be thinking of the players safety, not only would that play into a deeper season but it would also wear the players down, plus you would have teams playing weaker games during the regular season due to the playoff format which in return would just make this a who is in the best confrence type of system and no cinderellas. I think the 4 team sysetm will work for a little bit but people always want more and it will continue to grow from 4 to 8 to 16 eventually.

The other divisions and NAIA seem to make it work. Don't know why it can't at this level.

The other divisions and NAIA seem to make it work. Don't know why it can't at this level.

I don't buy the "think of safety" argument for one minute, for the sole reason that FCS has been doing the exact same thing with NCAA approval for umpteen years.

Maybe FCS athletes are made of wrought iron and steel, I don't know.

Seriously, though: With a 16-team playoff, keeping the FBS calendar the same, you can start games the Saturday after exams end and be done by the 2nd Saturday in January. That's literally less than a week longer than the current season. It's a money-making hog, man. The "Big Four" bowls could host the 2nd Round...I'm sure they'd push back their games from January to the last week of December to do it.

Edited by UVAObserver

I don't buy the "think of safety" argument for one minute, for the sole reason that FCS has been doing the exact same thing with NCAA approval for umpteen years.

Maybe FCS athletes are made of wrought iron and steel, I don't know.

Seriously, though: With a 16-team playoff, keeping the FBS calendar the same, you can start games the Saturday after exams end and be done by the 2nd Saturday in January. That's literally less than a week longer than the current season. It's a money-making hog, man. The "Big Four" bowls could host the 2nd Round...I'm sure they'd push back their games from January to the last week of December to do it.

To the safety comment, I was meaning that say you have a "Mark Ingram" type of player and you know he is going to be a 1st round pick, in the fans eyes you say play and play your heart out for my team, in the kids eyes he's thinking i'm less than 5 mo. away from my dream job is this really worth it, I'm telling you just let one of the big name players go down and we will be back to the way it was/is lol