Grayson at Clintwood

dshreeves

Is there an better matchup this week? Lots of good ones but this one is tough to beat.

Clintwood gets a week off before this one and this year Grayson has to make the long bus ride.

I haven't seen either team play but after last years blowout the Wave must be looking forward to this one with much excitement. Hard to see Clintwood losing this one.

Thoughts?

Ill take the Greenwave!

Besides winning state last year I think the embarassment handed out by Grayson Co last year was a major motivator for this team. They have been looking forward to this game for a looong time.

Clintwood by 10

Is there an better matchup this week? Lots of good ones but this one is tough to beat.

Clintwood gets a week off before this one and this year Grayson has to make the long bus ride.

I haven't seen either team play but after last years blowout the Wave must be looking forward to this one with much excitement. Hard to see Clintwood losing this one.

Thoughts?

Just wondering how many players did Grayson lose from last yrs team..I know the qb is back,I'm friends with his dad...think they lost a good rb... Clintwood should be one fired up bunch this coming Friday... Don't know what the weather will be Friday ,but there will be lots of strong Wave's at Ralph's House to wash out the Blue devils!:)

Grayson County can move the ball and score some points, but their special teams and defense are lacking. Part of that stems from the school system not paying coaching stipends and only a few coaches who are in the school system. They had a few practices this summer with only a couple of coaches, as most of the staff are volunteers with "day jobs." They didn't even have a defensive coordinator named going into last week's game (I haven't heard an update since talking to one of the coaches a couple of weeks ago). All of that negatively impacts their ability to reach their full potential on the field. I wouldn't pick them on the road against a quality team. Their game next week at home versus Carroll County should be very interesting to type the least.

What has community done to improve situation.......they are the ones that ultimately have say in direction of program. There football facilities are terrible,they gut the stipends for coaches and have not made any capitol improvements in years. The football program has not been a priority for man,many years from the top down.

I am neither an expert nor resident of Grayson County (I live in Carroll, but have worked off and on in Grayson County for the last 20 years), but I have followed their programs (or lack there of) and attended games for years. The decline with their programs, maybe the glaring exception being baseball, has been steady over the last several years. The over the cliff stuff coincided with the last Superintendant of Schools, who left after this past year. I would suggest that VERY few in the community supported her or her lack of support for sports. I agree 100% that things, including facilities, have been neglected for years, but the community still supports the school through attendance if nothing else. Their recreation league has improved over the last 6-7 years, so the future may not be bleak, but it was mostly neglected for many years (conflicts with Fries and apathy by the former Director mostly). Just I had suggested with issues at Carroll County, it will take more direct involvement from the community working collaboratively with the school (and especially the School Board). A constructive way to voice displeasure with the state of affairs may be to attend a School Board or Board of Supervisors meeting? Probably not as issues do indeed run silent and deep and there's NO way those folks don't already know the issues!

No, I didn't take it that we were in disagreement at all! I thought it was possible you knew a little more than I did (and you probably do!) on the situation. I do think it's sad how their programs have declined, but I don't have a dog (or kid) in the fight!

LOL on 'bus lag" and they may have to stand up going home as their rear-end may be too sore to sit on it for the return trip! I'd say a big ol' pay back is coming in this one, but it's tough to handicap high school football!

Not sure much decline in football program.....they won the MT Empire consistently from mid 1990's to- mid 2000's when it was probably the weakest football district in state and the were rarely competitive in out of district play. Best years for Grayson County were early 90's when consolidation between Fries/Independence produced some strong teams.

Not sure much decline in football program.....they won the MT Empire consistently from mid 1990's to- mid 2000's when it was probably the weakest football district in state and the were rarely competitive in out of district play. Best years for Grayson County were early 90's when consolidation between Fries/Independence produced some strong teams.

As a Grayson graduate who was in school during those early days after the consolidation, I agree. I'm just glad the team is doing a little something now. Coach McPherson had some rough seasons when he first came to Grayson.

Thoughts?

Grayson is on a 3 game winning streak... lost to Floyd County who seems to be pretty darn good this yr....I see this as a game that will go down to 4 quarters and be a competitive game..

Grayson while having numbers is not an easy place to be a football caoch.....community likes football but is a rough fight verse the administration at all levels and other coaches in building who do not support football in the least. I think many of Grayson followers will be impressed when they travel to C-wood with a community that appreciates and supports their football program.

Grayson while having numbers is not an easy place to be a football caoch.....community likes football but is a rough fight verse the administration at all levels and other coaches in building who do not support football in the least. I think many of Grayson followers will be impressed when they travel to C-wood with a community that appreciates and supports their football program.

I sat on the Clintwood side during last years' state championship game. Met some good folks, and was quite impressed with the fan turnout they had considering the distance.

@dukey: Again, no agrument that Grayson County's football program hasn't seen much of a decline due to not sustaining any semblance of success outside the Mt. Empire District (although the talent level has fallen off from several kids going on to play at small colleges and Chris Shreve playing at VT and briefly in the NFL). I was attempting to address all of their programs, as in plural-not just the football program. You are 100% correct on your assessment of their football status, both on the field and within the school system. The girls basketball teams just rebounded from some VERY ugly seasons; the boy's basketball program saw a nice spike a couple of seasons ago where they were competitive beyond the Mt. Empire, but have fallen back to the pack at bit (without the Rodgers brothers they would be very average to type the least); baseball has gone from State Championships and contending to not getting out of their own District with many Championships and getting shelled most everywhere not in the MED (although Galax just won a state championship in baseball with virtually no bench); boy's golf is totally irrelevant (again, while Galax just keeps on winning). Track? Tennis? They didn't even have enough kids participating to compete in many events in both sports on both sides of the isle (girls and boys). IMHO, unless or until parents, folks in the community, and the School Board's Central Office have to make a better commitment to supporting athletics or the struggles will continue (and probably get worse). Most schools which struggle in their football programs, struggle in all areas. The same types of dynamics are occurring here in Carroll County. I am not stating my opinion as fact, so it doesn't hurt my feelings to be wrong.

I sat on the Clintwood side during last years' state championship game. Met some good folks, and was quite impressed with the fan turnout they had considering the distance.

i'm curious to see how many grayson fans make it to the game.........