Tim Tebow @ Honaker

eastboundanddown

We (Council) scrimmaged Honaker yesterday evening and they have a new player. He is a true freshman who had been home schooled and attended Champions(formerly Highlights) Christian academy. 6'4 200 + left hander with great hands and the best baby hook I've ever seen on a kid in high school.... my opinion one of if not the best big man in the BDD from day 1.....

Pardon my curiosity, but isn't a scrimmage between 2 high school teams several weeks before winter practice opens some kind of whopping violation of VHSL rule 27-7-1 and 27-8-1?

Pardon my curiosity, but isn't a scrimmage between 2 high school teams several weeks before winter practice opens some kind of whopping violation of VHSL rule 27-7-1 and 27-8-1?

Yes. Yes it is...

54-6-1 Scrimmages-A scrimmage is a practice session between two or among three organized teams, or between

groups of players representing their respective teams, or between one organized team and a group of players from

another organized team which is representing its team in play.

54-6-2 Member schools are prohibited from participating in, or allowing their teams or players representing the teams

to participate in, more than two scrimmages in any sport.

54-6-3 Scrimmages are teaching situations at which coaches are expected to interrupt the practice session to provide

instruction from time to time. Prior to any scrimmage the coach should outline the basic purposes and aims of the

particular scrimmage so that the players may receive the maximum training and practice from the scrimmage.

Principals responsible for a scrimmage shall observe the following guidelines, except as permitted in 54-6-4:

• No public announcement of the scrimmage should be made and coverage by the news media should be

discouraged;

• No admission price shall be charged anyone for attendance at a scrimmage;

• Officials may be paid travel fees if applicable, but not game fees;

• Each school in a scrimmage shall be limited to no more than 1 1/2 times the normal length of the contest

(ex. football and basketball, 6 quarters; baseball, 10 1/2 innings);

• No scrimmage shall be converted into an actual game situation; and

• Except for those rules which have been modified by the provisions of this paragraph, all League rules shall

apply to scrimmages.

27-8-1 Out-of-Season Practice Rule - Effective August 1, 2011 all athletic teams are restricted from any organized activities during designated "dead periods." Out-of-season dead periods begin with the first permissible practice date of a sports season as published in the VHSL Calendar and conclude 10 calendar days after that first practice date. A summer "dead period" for all athletic teams shall be week 1 of the NFHS standardized calendar. During dead periods, no coaching, observing or contact between a coach(es) and player(s) may occur in the sport involved. There may be no practice, open facilities, weight training/conditioning, out of season league(s) or member school sponsored clinics/camps. Outside of dead periods, activities may occur on any day except Sundays. Schools, districts and /or regions may impose more restrictive guidelines. VHSL catastrophic insurance is not applicable to any out-of-season activities.

What this really means is the VHSL does not want to regulate out of season activities. So they have lifted restrictions. There will be four dead periods where no out-of-season activities can occur. At the beginning of each season and the week of July 1.

Straight from the VHSL Handbook...page 47...

27-8-1 OUT-OF-SEASON PRACTICE RULE-All VHSL member school sponsored

athletic teams are restricted from any organized activities during designated "dead periods." Out-of-season dead periods shall be 10-day periods beginning with the fi rst permissible practice date of a sports season as published in the VHSL Calendar. A summer "dead period" for all athletic teams shall be Week 1 of the NFHS Standardized Calendar. During dead periods, no coaching, observing or contact between a coach(s) or player(s) may occur in the VHSL member school sponsored athletic team or activity involved. There may be no VHSL member school sponsored practice, open facilities, weight training/conditioning, out of season league(s) or member school sponsored clinics/camps. Outside of dead periods, all VHSL member school sponsored activities may occur on any day except Sundays. Team vs. team competition may occur only in camps or leagues. Schools, districts and/or regions may impose more restrictive guidelines. VHSL catastrophic insurance is not applicable to any out-of-season activities.

Looks like someone above conveniently left out the most important part of the rule...the part they were violating by scrimmaging...

Straight from the VHSL Handbook...page 47...

Team vs. team competition may occur only in camps or leagues.

Looks like someone above conveniently left out the most important part of the rule...the part they were violating by scrimmaging...

This is golden. I wonder if anyone with any pull from the VHSL reads this site at all?

Practice is one thing, and the VHSL amended its rules last year, I think. But a scrimmage? An admitted scrimmage? Wow.

Edited by UVAObserver

Hey maybe I should go ahead and call them so the boy would transfer to Richlands. I know he's not going to want to play for a team thats not going to the playoffs for 5 years. LOLOL