Broncos/Falcons game

ThomasDenton

So, did anyone else see that game? I missed most of the second quarter and some of the third, but that was a hard one to watch. I'm not really a fan of (but I don't really dislike) either team, but it was kind of embarassing. How many turnovers did the Broncos have in the game? I saw Manning throw 3 Int.'s in the first quarter alone, plus they had a fumble.....which is when poor officiating nearly let a brawl happen. Any opinions on any of this?

Yes, that game was hard to watch!!!

I cant wait for the regular officials to get back to work. Just seems like most of the replacement refs are like a deer in headlights!!

Yeah, the word ESPN analysts keep using is "overmatched." These refs simply haven't experienced game speed and haven't had to make these decisions before, so they aren't good at officiating NFL games. It's as simple as that.

We need regular refs back.

Yeah, the word ESPN analysts keep using is "overmatched." These refs simply haven't experienced game speed and haven't had to make these decisions before, so they aren't good at officiating NFL games. It's as simple as that.

We need regular refs back.

This "replacement refs" v. "regular refs" grates on my nerves a little bit. Not in response to you, my friend, but just in general.

The media's acting like the replacements can't breathe and crap at the same time, much less officiate a game. All things considered, the replacements have done extraordinarily well. As you say, it's an experience + timing issue. They're going to miss calls. They're going to take longer to get the calls right. It happens.

However, missed in all the criticism is how much they DO get right.

It reminds me of the stereotypical genius family with obsessive parents. One kid (regular refs) makes As on every report card, and the parents just scowl. Another kid brings home a B+, and it's all but seppuku for little Johnny.

We do need the "pros" back. But I won't fault the scabs.

This "replacement refs" v. "regular refs" grates on my nerves a little bit. Not in response to you, my friend, but just in general.

The media's acting like the replacements can't breathe and crap at the same time, much less officiate a game. All things considered, the replacements have done extraordinarily well. As you say, it's an experience + timing issue. They're going to miss calls. They're going to take longer to get the calls right. It happens.

However, missed in all the criticism is how much they DO get right.

It reminds me of the stereotypical genius family with obsessive parents. One kid (regular refs) makes As on every report card, and the parents just scowl. Another kid brings home a B+, and it's all but seppuku for little Johnny.

We do need the "pros" back. But I won't fault the scabs.

You are correct, they do get an awful lot right. Something else that is not being mentioned is how much this situation is bringing to light, several glaring differences in rules from high school to college to pro football.

Yeah, the refs are doing a much better job than what a lot of people give them credit for. I do agree with the commentators on that game though that the refs should have backed everyone to their sidelines when the fumble in the first happened. They let everyone just kind of stand around where they wanted while they came up with a decision and some tempers flared. They even mentioned something like this happened at one of the earlier games (I think it was one of the Eagles's games). Those commentators also compared the ref situation to forming a team out of a bunch of 6th round draft picks and making them play the top pros.

You are correct, they do get an awful lot right. Something else that is not being mentioned is how much this situation is bringing to light, several glaring differences in rules from high school to college to pro football.

That's another good point. I think there was one episode last night where the replacement refs marked off the wrong amount of penalty yardage.