Battles J.V.

thefactman

Guest king kone
Anyone know how good/bad Battle's J.V. is?
They looked pretty bad when they came over here....

Guest king kone
I think Richlands beat Battle's JV 50 something to 0. Battle's JV beat Holston by a TD. From what I have heard Battle's JV is not too good.
8th grade shelled them in similar fashion.

It's true. Richlands did "shell" the 8th grade team. But, to their defense, they were out-sized and scared to death. Richlands has a reputation, ya know. :D Battle loses 15 seniors this year. 12 of which are starters. I predict that the Trojans will see another set of lean years. But, I do think that if this group of 8th graders stay together, they can bring Battle quite a few W's their Senior year. They have a lot of speed. Sure, they are small, but they will grow and they have an 8th grade coach that can see past his ego and is on board with Coach Wright's coaching techniques. The Rec league coaches are also on board. It will be interesting to see how the next few years unfold on Battle Hill.

Guest king kone
It's true. Richlands did "shell" the 8th grade team. But, to their defense, they were out-sized and scared to death. Richlands has a reputation, ya know. :D Battle loses 15 seniors this year. 12 of which are starters. I predict that the Trojans will see another set of lean years. But, I do think that if this group of 8th graders stay together, they can bring Battle quite a few W's their Senior year. They have a lot of speed. Sure, they are small, but they will grow and they have an 8th grade coach that can see past his ego and is on board with Coach Wright's coaching techniques. The Rec league coaches are also on board. It will be interesting to see how the next few years unfold on Battle Hill.
Saw a play in that game I had never seen before. Battle blocks a punt by #15 of Richlands.He reaches down and picks the ball up one handed while stiff arming a Battle player....and runs 60 yards for a touchdown.

The 8th grade team is very down. They have kids out but not any size. The JV team this season is also down. They have a few solid kids like the Cole and Denton kids.

Reasons for the JV being down is that you still have a few kids like the Blaylocks that're playing varsity ball. They have decent skill players but there is a huge lack of lineman. The varsity team loses 3 out of 5 lineman after this year and they really need a few of those young kids to hit the weightroom hard in the offseason. If they can get that out of em, the varsity will have a very solid team next year also. They'll still have Honaker at QB along with Matney and Clark at Reciever. In the backfield they'll have Chapman and Harlow and Blaylock.

After this 10th grade class graduates it could get interesting as far as having "lean years". But I'm telling you right now, regardless of a talent drop off.....Battle will not be as "lean" as it was before 4 years ago. Those kids will work their butts off in the offseason and will be competitive. Coach Wright wont accept anything but hard work out of them. That alone is worth 4 or 5 wins a year. Going Tim Tebow on you guy's here-- "Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard".

The 8th grade team is very down. They have kids out but not any size. The JV team this season is also down. They have a few solid kids like the Cole and Denton kids.

Reasons for the JV being down is that you still have a few kids like the Blaylocks that're playing varsity ball. They have decent skill players but there is a huge lack of lineman. The varsity team loses 3 out of 5 lineman after this year and they really need a few of those young kids to hit the weightroom hard in the offseason. If they can get that out of em, the varsity will have a very solid team next year also. They'll still have Honaker at QB along with Matney and Clark at Reciever. In the backfield they'll have Chapman and Harlow and Blaylock.

After this 10th grade class graduates it could get interesting as far as having "lean years". But I'm telling you right now, regardless of a talent drop off.....Battle will not be as "lean" as it was before 4 years ago. Those kids will work their butts off in the offseason and will be competitive. Coach Wright wont accept anything but hard work out of them. That alone is worth 4 or 5 wins a year. Going Tim Tebow on you guy's here-- "Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard".

One thing that I have noticed about this varsity team is that their conditioning looks great. Having seen anyone tiring out or cramping up that much, especially compared to other teams we've played (like Burton, they looked wore out in the second half and I saw lots of their kids bent over catching their breath or getting up slowly).

Honestly, I think that the lean years will start after this 11th grade graduates. But, that's just my opinion. The 8th grade is small, but so were this year's 12th graders when they were in 8th grade. They will grow and get stronger. I agree with Thomas, JSB's strength & conditioning has greatly improved. They are stronger and (at half season) there are very few injuries. I've also noticed their size. Rogers and Tipton in particular. Every game, I comment on how much larger they are this year compared to previous years.