Ryder Cup 2012

legend11

I always forget how much I love the Ryder Cup.

Keegan Bradley just sunk a 30 footer to give the US their first points. He and Mickelson beat Donald/Garcia 4 & 3.

Furyk just put a 212 yard shot within 3 feet of the hole. Snedeker finishes to go to All Square with 2 to play.

Dufner/Z. Johnson are up with 4 to play.

Woods/Stricker are failing miserably.

Did I mention that I love the Ryder Cup???

As far as watching golf, there is no one more exciting to watch than ol' lefty in my opinion.

Only because you can never be sure what Phil is going to do. It can be sensational or a train wreck.

Man... Really would have liked if Furyk/Snedeker could have stolen a half a point there. Gonna be 2-2 going into the afternoon round.

Speaking of train wreck, let's talk about Tiger. He's KNOCKED OUT two spectators so far, one yesterday, one today. If I were them, I would demand he hand over his driver and I'd break it on the spot. It'd be doing him some good.

Tiger just got the break of the century...reachable par 4, Tiger, on the tee, pull hooks the schnit out of it hits a tree and redirects the ball which ends up right in front of the green. The Euros, up 3 with 4 to go, laid up.

Here are the afternoon matchups:

Bubba/Webb vs. Lawrie/Hanson

Phil/Keegan vs. Rory/McDowell

D. Johnson/Kuchar vs. Rose/Kaymer

Stricker/Tiger vs. Westwood/Colsaert

I don't like keeping Stricker/Tiger in there. Other than that, these guys have a good chance this afternoon I think.

My thoughts so far:

1.) Keegan will be your 2030 Ryder Cup Captain. He is the future for American golf.

2.) I'd like to see Tiger sit the afternoon pairings, but I don't think they get beat around all day.

3.) Dufner is the definition of American.

Here are the afternoon matchups:

Bubba/Webb vs. Lawrie/Hanson

Phil/Keegan vs. Rory/McDowell

D. Johnson/Kuchar vs. Rose/Kaymer

Stricker/Tiger vs. Westwood/Colsaert

I don't like keeping Stricker/Tiger in there. Other than that, these guys have a good chance this afternoon I think.

The Phil/Keegan vs Rory/McDowell could be a great match. I agree Tiger and Stricker haven't gotten it done this morning and they shouldn't be pared together this afternoon.

Edited by martrip

Personally, this loss hurt way more than anything that happened in or around DC this weekend.

I don't get the verklepmt, honestly.

Golf is an individual sport, where the guys are looking out for #1 for 51 weeks of the year. I mean, it's a crappy loss, but "hurt" didn't really come into the equation for me. I suppose that I can see the "U.S. v. Europe" mentality, but I don't know. Maybe it's just sports overload.

I don't get the verklepmt, honestly.

Golf is an individual sport, where the guys are looking out for #1 for 51 weeks of the year. I mean, it's a crappy loss, but "hurt" didn't really come into the equation for me. I suppose that I can see the "U.S. v. Europe" mentality, but I don't know. Maybe it's just sports overload.

I actually think your point to downplay the loss is the very reason it "hurts" for a lot of us.

Of course, golf is an individual sport most of the time but there is that one time every other year these guys get to come together and as a team and compete that I think makes it much more special. You aren't playing for yourself anymore. You're playing for your coaches, teammates, and your country too.

It's a unique brand of golf that I absolutely love. Individuality is great, but when you get to become a part of something so much larger I think its awesome.

I actually think your point to downplay the loss is the very reason it "hurts" for a lot of us.

Of course, golf is an individual sport most of the time but there is that one time every other year these guys get to come together and as a team and compete that I think makes it much more special. You aren't playing for yourself anymore. You're playing for your coaches, teammates, and your country too.

It's a unique brand of golf that I absolutely love. Individuality is great, but when you get to become a part of something so much larger I think its awesome.

That's a very reasonable counterpoint.

The simple fact is, in 1979, Seve started a mindset change on the European side. They have an "us against them" mentality and make it something personal for one week every two tears. They want to beat the Americans worse than they want to win majors. We have never made Ryder Cup that type of priority.

I think the younger guys have watched so much golf, Ryder Cup in particular, over the years, you will see the American side become more emotionally invested in the future. Keegan Bradley is just the beginning. As more "athletes" get into golf the more the team concept will be something that is more appealing because they have all competed in other team sports. Keegan Bradley was an Olympic caliber snow boarder and Dustin Johnson's dad and grandfather both played major college basketball at the University of South Carolina. Rickie Fowler, possibly Bud Cauley, Patrick Cantlay, Jordan Spieth, Chris Williams or someone as unknown as Keegan Bradley was two years ago will breath life into the American side.

I, for one, am glad the stuffed shirts like Jim Furyk and Steve Stricker are done with Ryder Cups. Let the younger generation take it over.