News stories?

Im all for happy news stories but why is it that some storiesget chosen to be national news and others(that are very similar) dont?

For instance I saw a story the other day about a mentally challenged high school student who was placed on her homecomming court and actually won homecomming queen(wonderful story and shows the capacity for kindness that we posess, it is espicially important when viewed next to the bullying and cruelty that many kids now deal with), the same thing happened at Haysi a few years ago and it wasnt even local news.

On the Today show they had an interview with a young woman who had a serious accident that resulted in major dammage to her head. The doctors removed a portion of her skull and placed it in her abdomen until it could be fixed later. A similar thing happened to a woman from Clintwood a couple of years ago.

Now im not saying that the stories that made the news are any more or less deserving but what seperated them from the rest and made them national news?

Because were in the middle of nowhere man, noone from the big cities will care about a little town with a thousand or so people in it. But when it happes to someone, and there's millions of people to see and sqwauk about it, then its big business.

Im all for happy news stories but why is it that some storiesget chosen to be national news and others(that are very similar) dont?

For instance I saw a story the other day about a mentally challenged high school student who was placed on her homecomming court and actually won homecomming queen(wonderful story and shows the capacity for kindness that we posess, it is espicially important when viewed next to the bullying and cruelty that many kids now deal with), the same thing happened at Haysi a few years ago and it wasnt even local news.

On the Today show they had an interview with a young woman who had a serious accident that resulted in major dammage to her head. The doctors removed a portion of her skull and placed it in her abdomen until it could be fixed later. A similar thing happened to a woman from Clintwood a couple of years ago.

Now im not saying that the stories that made the news are any more or less deserving but what seperated them from the rest and made them national news?

Bigger media markets? I think that's why. They live in big cities or even regular sized towns or whatever. But down here in SWVA, we don't have a big media market that exposes everyone nationally.

makes sense I guess but they are heart warming stories, not "news". Does anyone really care where they are from?

I understand why dark, sad, scary news comes from larger places but I dont understand why it matters where feel good stories come from

Two reasons.

One, I believe that the media around here is simply lazy. Once it has 30 minutes of news or a day's worth of material, that's it!

The media just doesn't push the human interest stories here.

Two,

Because were in the middle of nowhere man, noone from the big cities will care about a little town with a thousand or so people in it. But when it happes to someone, and there's millions of people to see and sqwauk about it, then its big business.