Virginia/Virginia Tech...AKA "The Annual Slaughter"

Deleted Account

I don't expect VT fans to comment on this until after they beat Boston College tomorrow, but since I have nothing to look forward to in the world of football this weekend, my attention turns to the annual shellacking, I mean, "rivalry game".

I expect VT to win a 20-14 kind of game against BC, putting them at 5-6 against UVA's 4-7. Then, the Friday night before the game, I predict a magical transformation that will turn VT's offense into the '99 Rams and VT's defense into the '00 Ravens. I also predict that our entire team will be duped by a travelling salesman into swallowing a pill that makes them forget the tiny bit of football they already knew. Either that, or the three-headed London/Lazor/Reid monster will continue to coach with their heads stuck up each others' rear ends like some human centipede.

Prediction:

Virginia Tech - 47

Virginia - 3

Streak will go to 9 games, a new record in the "rivalry".

I watched last night, and the Miami game last week. What I noticed is that as long as UVA is that as long as they are close they play with heart. After the goal line stand on the one, it seemed that they just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

I really thought the UVA D did a monster job on Gio. He looked almost human, as opposed to the second coming of Barry Sanders that he has been against VT. The D did get burned by pretty much the same pass play twice, but that is a personnel thing. (Unlike, the blown coverages VT has had this year.)

Since we Tech fans do not know one week to the next which version of the team will show up, I would not dare make a prediction. Suffice it to say I want to see a fairly competitive game.

I watched last night, and the Miami game last week. What I noticed is that as long as UVA is that as long as they are close they play with heart. After the goal line stand on the one, it seemed that they just kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Sounds familiar....

I really thought the UVA D did a monster job on Gio. He looked almost human, as opposed to the second coming of Barry Sanders that he has been against VT. The D did get burned by pretty much the same pass play twice, but that is a personnel thing. (Unlike, the blown coverages VT has had this year.)

Since we Tech fans do not know one week to the next which version of the team will show up, I would not dare make a prediction. Suffice it to say I want to see a fairly competitive game.

That WR Bubble Screen has just killed us all year long. I'm surprised teams don't just run that 9 out of every 10 plays and just take 8 yards/pass every play (like Louisiana Tech did). That's strictly coaching, IMO. We seldom ever go into Nickel/Dime sets. We give the biggest cushion to DBs of any team I've ever seen. We refuse to take good angles toward the play or move forward in pursuit.

Now, if you all had a semi-competent OC, I would expect VT to just run bubble screen after bubble screen on us. I don't think VT will. One, because your OC sucks. Two, Thomas doesn't have the touch to consistently put the ball on a rope throwing across his body and across the field. However, our secondary is green, and I expect Thomas to take several deep shots down the field, much like last year.

The bright spot, as you said, was the containment job on Bernard. We looked very prepared for that. We cheated to favor that, and when Fedora adjusted, Reid refused to counter. The result, of course, was Bernard rushing for his lowest total of the season, but having Q. Davis from UNC catch 15 passes.

That WR Bubble Screen has just killed us all year long. I'm surprised teams don't just run that 9 out of every 10 plays and just take 8 yards/pass every play (like Louisiana Tech did). That's strictly coaching, IMO. We seldom ever go into Nickel/Dime sets. We give the biggest cushion to DBs of any team I've ever seen. We refuse to take good angles toward the play or move forward in pursuit.

Now, if you all had a semi-competent OC, I would expect VT to just run bubble screen after bubble screen on us. I don't think VT will. One, because your OC sucks. Two, Thomas doesn't have the touch to consistently put the ball on a rope throwing across his body and across the field. However, our secondary is green, and I expect Thomas to take several deep shots down the field, much like last year.

The bright spot, as you said, was the containment job on Bernard. We looked very prepared for that. We cheated to favor that, and when Fedora adjusted, Reid refused to counter. The result, of course, was Bernard rushing for his lowest total of the season, but having Q. Davis from UNC catch 15 passes.

VT typically runs the bubble screens to death...unfortunately, our offensive staff is extremely incompetent and will never once call that against UVA.

VT typically runs the bubble screens to death...unfortunately, our offensive staff is extremely incompetent and will never once call that against UVA.

The bubble screen really needs receivers blocking to be effective.

Just to throw it out there, I could not be less excited about the upcoming "rivalry week" between UVA and VT. Many of my facebook friends are posting things about it, but this season has been such a waste. If anything we deserve to lose next Saturday. And I mean that.

This is depressing.

I dare not venture on VT sites.

All the UVA sites are full of babbling loons spewing forth crap about conference alignment.

No one wants to talk about the game.

Same thing on the VT board...

This is depressing.

I dare not venture on VT sites.

All the UVA sites are full of babbling loons spewing forth crap about conference alignment.

No one wants to talk about the game.

Same thing on the VT board...

Pretty sad when neither teams fan bases are talking about the game at hand. Makes it worse when it's your main rival. And even still, when one teams postseason hopes are at stake.

What's the vibe coming out of the UVA side, UVAObserver?

The more I read on VT-centric sites, the more I see people taking the stance of "Screw it. I'm gonna root hard for the boys this week because dammit, they're our team and we're playing UVA," and it seems like we're willing to forget how epically bad this season has been, even if it's just for this minute. It's that sort of optimism that's forced when you have to readjust your expectations.

To become excited about this weekend, I've had to look through highlights of past VT seasons and past VT/UVA games and remember how much fun this week was when I was in college. I traveled to UVA in '05 and '07 (tickets were EASY to get) and had the time of my life with friends I went to high school with. Oh yeah, and we won. And I got balled up aluminum foil thrown at me. And I got the satisfaction of high-fiving Eddie Royal after the game over top of those hedges that used to be at the bottom of the hill when he took a quick victory lap after the win in '05.

GMan, how many days has it been that we've held the Commonwealth Cup?

What's the vibe coming out of the UVA side, UVAObserver?

The more I read on VT-centric sites, the more I see people taking the stance of "Screw it. I'm gonna root hard for the boys this week because dammit, they're our team and we're playing UVA," and it seems like we're willing to forget how epically bad this season has been, even if it's just for this minute. It's that sort of optimism that's forced when you have to readjust your expectations.

To become excited about this weekend, I've had to look through highlights of past VT seasons and past VT/UVA games and remember how much fun this week was when I was in college. I traveled to UVA in '05 and '07 (tickets were EASY to get) and had the time of my life with friends I went to high school with. Oh yeah, and we won. And I got balled up aluminum foil thrown at me. And I got the satisfaction of high-fiving Eddie Royal after the game over top of those hedges that used to be at the bottom of the hill when he took a quick victory lap after the win in '05.

GMan, how many days has it been that we've held the Commonwealth Cup?

That Ahmadinejad/Beamer comment sting, did it? LOL. ;)

Our side isn't pumped this year. I always am, but so many of my compatriots aren't. Very defeated feeling, knowing how good a chance we would have this season only to blow it. I expect VT to hammer us. That's OK. Maybe I'll be wrong.

BTW, this will make my 5th trek to Lane to watch this game. 3 of the previous 4 have ended with tense exits. This time will be good, though.

That Ahmadinejad/Beamer comment sting, did it? LOL. ;)

Our side isn't pumped this year. I always am, but so many of my compatriots aren't. Very defeated feeling, knowing how good a chance we would have this season only to blow it. I expect VT to hammer us. That's OK. Maybe I'll be wrong.

BTW, this will make my 5th trek to Lane to watch this game. 3 of the previous 4 have ended with tense exits. This time will be good, though.

Ha! Yes it did. Slightly.

I don't expect VT to hammer you. I think we'll escape with, like, a 27-14 win, with three/seven of those points coming in trash time that makes the score seem further apart than the game actually was.

After last year's game was important and gave us a 37-0 shellacking, I expect this really unimportant game to go to 3OTs and for UVA to win on some crazy play. A play that happens like this Logan Thomas throws interception (crazy, I know), then the UVA player runs it back (dumb, I know) fumbles it, VT picks it up, they fumble it and a UVA linemen runs it back for the win.

Final Score

UVA 6

VT 0

After last year's game was important and gave us a 37-0 shellacking, I expect this really unimportant game to go to 3OTs and for UVA to win on some crazy play. A play that happens like this Logan Thomas throws interception (crazy, I know), then the UVA player runs it back (dumb, I know) fumbles it, VT picks it up, they fumble it and a UVA linemen runs it back for the win.

Final Score

UVA 6

VT 0

Ha! Also a possibility. Really, anything is in play Saturday.