Graham vs Bluefield rivalry

CarMike

What's going on here? lol

Preface: I moved to North Carolina back in 1979 when my dad was offered a job. When we left Bluefield, Graham and Bluefield fans didn't exactly get along with each other. I remember seeing some drop dead fights amongst the two fan bases. 10 years after we moved we always came back for the 1st game of the season. Things hadn't changed any from I had remembered. They still didn't get along with each other.

Today, on this very board I see Graham fans supporting Bluefield when they're not playing each other. And same for Bluefield fans supporting Graham.

Question is, when and why did this take place? Don't get me wrong, I like to see the support. And my attitude has changed towards Graham after seeing the two fan bases get along. I'm just a little surprised to see how it is today.

Thanks. :)

Mike

What's going on here? lol

Preface: I moved to North Carolina back in 1979 when my dad was offered a job. When we left Bluefield, Graham and Bluefield fans didn't exactly get along with each other. I remember seeing some drop dead fights amongst the two fan bases. 10 years after we moved we always came back for the 1st game of the season. Things hadn't changed any from I had remembered. They still didn't get along with each other.

Today, on this very board I see Graham fans supporting Bluefield when they're not playing each other. And same for Bluefield fans supporting Graham.

Question is, when and why did this take place? Don't get me wrong, I like to see the support. And my attitude has changed towards Graham after seeing the two fan bases get along. I'm just a little surprised to see how it is today.

Thanks. :)

Mike

I've been watching Graham vs. Bluefield for 38 years...haven't missed one single game between them in all that time. It's always been like this, as far as I can remember. I don't recall any "drop dead fights"....just a good old fashioned rivalry...and each fan base passionate about their teams.

The only fights I remember seeing in or outside of the stadium in all the years I've been going to the games (which is only two or three total fights) had absolutely nothing to do with the schools or the game being played.

Those fights were alcohol infused involving a female and/or a possession of something the other person wanted.

Not sure when you left the area but its been this way since I was in school in the 80s. We hate each other on that one Friday night in August (OK, maybe that entire week leading up to Friday), but after its all over, we hope the other team wins them all.

I know some of the "older" fans, yes, older than me, still have some of that hatred but those who graduated from about the mid-80s on pretty much pull for the other once the game is over.

I blame it on all of us who grew up roaming Mercer Mall on Fridays and Saturdays and hanging out at the park, back in the day. We were no longer disjointed...we became one in the same...friends, so to speak. Unity in the community.

But now that I think about it, I think the real change came after Jay Sims got shot back in the early/mid 80s.

No doubt that when the two schools meet each other in athletic competitions Graham is usually in the underdog position. When Graham defeats Bluefield, especially in football, the Graham season usually becomes somewhat "magical" for the G-Men, with this year being a prime example. Not only do the fans of each school share the same streets and venues, we also share the same historical stadium. Each school has gained the RESPECT of the other. Once you respect your opponent, you also begin to support the other as well. The two schools share in one of the nation's most noted high school rivalries, and this alone creates pride among the two communities. The two schools, and their respective fan bases, truly realize how special the rivalry actually is. We indeed have a very unique situation and BOTH are very proud to be part of it! RESPECT! Go G-Men! Go Beavers!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

thanks for the replies. Yeah, most of the fights I remember happened outside of the stadium. I'm glad to see things changed seemingly just after we left Bluefield.

Perhaps I'm also going by how my uncles always reacted towards Graham. They are a rowdy bunch anyways. lol

Other than a state line separating us we are one in the same town. I have alot of family and friends in both. I grew up in Bluefield WV and graduated from Bluefield High School. However for the past 13 years I have lived in Bluefield, VA and my children go to Graham. I root for Graham in every game except one because I am still a very loyal die hard beaver fan and my passion for beaver football right now is as strong as it has ever been. In fact there is not a Bluefield game since 1991 that I have not either went to or listened to on the radio. Not one. I hope to keep that streak alive for a long time to come. Thanks to a state line we truly do have a unique situation here and one that I am very proud to be a part of and wouldn't change for anything. Go both Bluefields!