I Didn't See This Coming

Hacker

Kentucky just hired Mark Stoops.

That flushing sound is his career going away.

Probably a good hire for UK but he will have his work cut out for him at Kentucky. The state of Kentucky is not a "hot bed" for football talent.

Kentucky just hired Mark Stoops.

That flushing sound is his career going away.

It seems like he could have waited around to see if Auburn, NC State, etc. would offer him a position. Couldn't he do better than Kentucky?

It seems like he could have waited around to see if Auburn, NC State, etc. would offer him a position. Couldn't he do better than Kentucky?

You would think his agent has already tested the waters, and this is probably his best head coaching option. Florida State fans are not real happy with Stoops right now, especially since Saturday's debacle vs Florida. The natives in Tallahassee are not happy campers right now. I also have heard Jimbo Fisher's name being floated around Knoxville.

You would think his agent has already tested the waters, and this is probably his best head coaching option. Florida State fans are not real happy with Stoops right now, especially since Saturday's debacle vs Florida. The natives in Tallahassee are not happy campers right now. I also have heard Jimbo Fisher's name being floated around Knoxville.

I heard rumors that Fisher may go to Knoxville, as well.

I just read where Les Miles has been offered a 5 year $27.5 million deal to go to Arkansas.

Are you kidding me?

247Sports also said, "Just to clarify, we'd be absolutely shocked if he accepted the job. However, we're told the talks are very real".

http://247sports.com/Board/59457/Arkansas-talking-to-Les-Miles-14408926/1

I just read where Les Miles has been offered a 5 year $27.5 million deal to go to Arkansas.

Are you kidding me?

247Sports also said, "Just to clarify, we'd be absolutely shocked if he accepted the job. However, we're told the talks are very real".

WOW. This is definitely the correct thing to bring up in a thread entitled "I Didn't See This Coming". I certainly didn't see this coming.

Are you kidding me?

Arkansas has deep pockets...Jerry Jones...

Leverage. And Kentucky is where coaches go to die.

How much does Kentucky like football? I've told this story a dozen times. In 2007 my dad and I went to the Tenn-Ky game in Lexington. Tenn had Erik Ainge and Ky had Andre Woodson as QB's. A Tenn win and in their in the SECCG. Tenn jumped out to a pretty good size lead by halftime. The second half Woodson and the Wildcats came out blazing. KY tied the game and it went to overtime. The game would end up going to 5 overtimes with TN winning the SEC East. During the third overtime, we noticed KY fans leaving. Mind you KY had not beat TN in around 24-25 years, and this was a game for the ages. Anyway I stood up and very politely said to a crowd of people leaving and asked them how in the world they could leave a game like this. They all looked at me and one guy said, "We've got to go we have a basketball game tonight". 100% true story.

One, Kentucky's not the horrible job people think it is.

Two, Miles won't take that job...but he'll certainly ponder it.

In the last 50 years, Kentucky's best success has led to probation. All resources and attention go to hoops. A shallow pool of talent to recruit from doesn't help. Facilities also are not up to SEC standards. Not the formula for a long tenure.

Just being a realist. I grew up a football fan in KY. I was a student at UK in the Fran Curci era. I saw 10-0-1 and 9-2 under probation for recruiting. I saw a good coach, Jerry Claiborne struggle to have 6-5 teams. I saw Hal Mumme decimate the program by buying, or trying to buy players. (Probation again.)

In the past we have talked on this board about realistic expectations for teams. Realistic expectations for UK are 6-6 or 7-5.

Just being a realist. I grew up a football fan in KY. I was a student at UK in the Fran Curci era. I saw 10-0-1 and 9-2 under probation for recruiting. I saw a good coach, Jerry Claiborne struggle to have 6-5 teams. I saw Hal Mumme decimate the program by buying, or trying to buy players. (Probation again.)

In the past we have talked on this board about realistic expectations for teams. Realistic expectations for UK are 6-6 or 7-5.

So you don't think that UK fans would rally around football if they got a James Franklin/Vandy-like turnaround?

Just wondering.

I know this was a LONGGGGG time ago but they were good under Bear Bryant. I think he left and won a few games somewhere else.;)

It shouldn't have to be that way. And they make bowls on a semi-regular basis. It's not top-half SEC, but it's not a coach toilet bowl, either.

If Kentucky could have some success against a top tier SEC team occasionally, like Vanderbilt has done, I think they could begin to resurrect the football program. Recruiting is the key, and that's tough for UK with the other SEC competition, and with a lot of the recruits in the area going to Louisville and elsewhere. Right now UK is the worst team in the SEC. I would have liked to have seen a match up between Auburn and UK this year. I think UK could have beaten them. :)