ETSU Football????

MrSocko

ETSU President Brian Noland told News 5 today that many recommendations are on the table at the school, one of those being to bring back football. Tonight on 5 we'll talk with President Noland about the recommendation and what the chances are that it will be fulfilled.

What do you guys think? care or don't care

When I was a student there, the students voted against bringing back the team. It was not the money maker that football is at other schools. The interest of the students is not there because it is a commuter school. Most students do not live at the school and do not spend time there when not in class.

A big drawback to me for ETSU football is the "stadium". What we use to call the "mini-dome" was not a fun place to watch a game. Who wants to head indoors on a pleasant fall afternoon for football?

If they do bring football back, maybe a new facility could be a possibility down the road in a few years.

Wonder if they would go back to 1AA (FCS) or play at another level?

I do believe Coach Mike Smith of the ATL Falcons, who played football for ETSU, tried to help some locals a couple of years ago or more in trying to re-establish a football program. As I remember it...could be wrong...they wouldn't allow this group to meet on the ETSU campus. Doesn't ETSU have a different president now than at that time? Maybe someone in the know could answer this.

I agree about the mini-dome...dank, dark and very uninviting.

"When I was a student there, the students voted against bringing back the team. It was not the money maker that football is at other schools. The interest of the students is not there because it is a commuter school. Most students do not live at the school and do not spend time there when not in class. "

One reason ETSU did not build up a strong base of local support is their failure to recruit locally. They did not even do a good job of recruiting in ET much less than SWVA.

Would like to see the program return.

I do believe Coach Mike Smith of the ATL Falcons, who played football for ETSU, tried to help some locals a couple of years ago or more in trying to re-establish a football program. As I remember it...could be wrong...they wouldn't allow this group to meet on the ETSU campus. Doesn't ETSU have a different president now than at that time? Maybe someone in the know could answer this.

I agree about the mini-dome...dank, dark and very uninviting.

There was also the thing with Kenny Chesney (another ETSU grad) wanting to donate a lot of money for the football program and they refused. I kind of liked the Mini Dome, but an outdoor stadium would be better.

"When I was a student there, the students voted against bringing back the team. It was not the money maker that football is at other schools. The interest of the students is not there because it is a commuter school. Most students do not live at the school and do not spend time there when not in class. "

One reason ETSU did not build up a strong base of local support is their failure to recruit locally. They did not even do a good job of recruiting in ET much less than SWVA.

Would like to see the program return.

Not recruiting locally was the biggest complaint I heard over the years.

A big drawback to me for ETSU football is the "stadium". What we use to call the "mini-dome" was not a fun place to watch a game. Who wants to head indoors on a pleasant fall afternoon for football?

If they do bring football back, maybe a new facility could be a possibility down the road in a few years.

Wonder if they would go back to 1AA (FCS) or play at another level?

I think it would be better for them to play (at least starting out) as an FCS team, rather than try to play FBS. Play teams like Richmond and Appy State and they should be able to draw a good crowd.

Article in the Kingsport Times this morning stated that a task force had recommended bringing back the football program at ETSU.

ETSU task forces recommend football team, dental school

By REX BARBER

NET News Service

A new football program could be started at East Tennessee State University and a new fine and performing arts center could be built in a few years, according to the school’s president.

Beginning the process of starting a football team, establishing a dental school and creating an arts initiative for a new fine and performing arts center were among the many recommendations for ETSU made Wednesday by committees tasked with looking into the century-old school’s future.

The recommendations were made by task forces created by the Committee for 125 and announced Wednesday at the Millennium Centre by ETSU President Brian Noland, who emphasized there will be no football at the university next fall, just that the establishment of a football team has been recommended.

“As I’ve said on a number of occasions: We have no helmets, we have no shoulder pads, we have no tackling sleds, we have no field and we have no practice facility,†Noland said. “So this is starting something rather than restoring something.â€

Football was eliminated at ETSU following the end of the 2003 season.

The program was losing $1 million a year at the time it was ended.

The issue of football will be explored further on campus and in the community, Noland said.

“We are going to put together a feasibility study around football,†Noland said. “We need to talk to our students about the revenue sources. But being mindful that the presence of intercollegiate football directly impacts conference affiliation, and as I’ve said on a number of occasions, we will do anything and everything we can to expand and enhance the capacities of ETSU. And if that means we have to expedite something, we’re prepared to expedite something.â€

Noland said it would cost about $200,000 to exit the Atlantic Sun Conference.

The Committee for 125 was created earlier this year to generate a report on what ETSU should be at its 125th anniversary. Members of the committee hail from academia, private business and from across the country.