Athletic performance of consolidated schools

RichlandsAlum

You forgot about Belfry they consolidate with Williamson,Tug Valley,Logan and anybody that real good in Pike Co lol just kidding. East Ridge is a huge school but with Football as competitive as it is in Pike Co. kids can travel to any school they want within 30-40 minutes from home . Shelby Valley loses kids to Pikeville and they all lose kids to Belfry.

EaElkhorn City did run the "Side Saddle T" but honestly I cant remember much about the plays they ran.

The QB lined up facing the sideline behind 1 leg of the C with his hands behind the C(sometimes under him and sometimes just behind him). The snap either went to the QB where they would run more traditional plays or to the HB where they would run single wing style plays. I cant remember exactly how the backfield lined up or if they used WRs or Wings, I remember they had 1 TE. Interesting Offense for sure.

Very interesting question. Short answer, I think it doesn't succeed as much as some might believe.

Long answer, there are two main reasons among others why the success is stunted. One is classification, and there are two prongs to it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all those schools (Gary/Welch/Northfork) were in a classification below the AA that Mount View is and has been. First, you're consolidating into a higher classification, against competition with an equivalent talent pool. Without belaboring the obvious, it's the smaller fish-bigger pool problem. Second, a minor point, you're eliminating three schools from the classification below, which of course will alter the numbers closer to the top of the classification.

Two is the athletes themselves. Often time, particularly in sports with smaller rosters like basketball, 1-2 athletes can make all the difference in the world. Happened in Carlisle, PA, which became the first public school to win 4 straight state titles in basketball in any state. There were three freshmen: one went to the NBA after college, and two others went to high D-I programs. Just a fluky run of athletes. If a successful smaller school consolidates, then the run of athletes ends, you will see a consolidated school with smaller success than you might suspect.

Another example that I think is unfolding before our eyes is Union HS. You'd think consolidating Powell Valley and Appalachia would create a "superteam" in football based on their 90s performances. The run of athletes ended, then consolidation happened. A good team, but not the level you'd expect based on history. And they're competing against larger schools by almost double. Perhaps, to a lesser extent, you see this with Central in baseball, based upon J.J. Kelly's history.

I feel as if I've rambled. I hope it makes sense.

maybe in mt views case lack of success could be attributed to the loss of jobs in the county with many of the coal mines shutting down. fewer jobs means people leave and take kids wtih them.