Phone Scam?? Anybody else have these people call you?

I got a phone call from "Private Caller" on my caller ID. I answered, because a couple of my friends and family members have unlisted numbers and it comes up as "Private Caller".... When I answered, the guy said May I speak to "....my name".... I answered "this is"....

(ordinarily I just say, you've got the wrong number)... He stated his name (which happens to be the same name as a local high school basketball player, which I thought was odd...obviously not him...he sounded to be about 40 years old) and said that he was calling on behalf of the Disabled Veterans of America...and to try to sell me some energy efficient light bulbs (the new flourescent type). I told him that I was sorry, that I don't purchase things over the phone from people I don't know and that I already had plenty of light bulbs like those.... He then proceeded to tell me that I don't have any light bulbs "like these", I told him..."yes I do"... He then called me a "liar"...that's when I said "look, you called me...and I'm not a liar you bleepity bleep bleep bleep".... I think he hung up before I got to the swearing part.....

Anyway, anybody else have this type of experience?

I think it was very suspicious that the number was from a "private caller"...and the fact that he called me a "liar" tips me off that it was probably not a legitimate charity organization. My one regret was confirming my name when he called....as stated before, usually I say "wrong number".....sometimes I just say "Yo no hablo Ingles" and hang up....Probably should've went with one of my standard responses.

I used to just hang up on telemarketers but now I try to keep them on the line talking about stuff that doesn't even pertain to what they are offering. I've actually had several to hang up on me.

You should have tried to sell him some deer jerky you made from the deer you shot during hunting season. Then you should have go on to tell the story of how you shot the deer, and then move on to another related story about your buddy you were hunting with one time,...

Get the picture?

I was back home one summer while I was in college. Almost every morning around 8 am the same telemarketer would call asking for me. I finally had enough and offered phone sex to the woman on the line. She said goodbye and never called back again.

You could really throw them for a loop and talk about how much you enjoy the last shipment of bulbs you bought from them, and how long they have lasted.

That would've been awesome....

A few years back a guy called me trying to sell some type of home improvements...I told him to quit bothering me at home....he ended up calling me a jerk....

I called the number back....asked for him by name....and asked him how he liked being called and bothered by somebody when it was unwanted....he called me a jerk (again)...slammed the phone down again....so, what did I do....called him back...and said "have a nice day....click"... True Story.

My wife hates when I talk about that....

I try to respectfully decline, but when they get pushy or beligerant...I have to bring out my inner jerkiness...unfortunately, I don't have to dig too deep to find it lately.

If I answer the phone for a telemarketer, I usually tell them that whoever they are asking for recently passed away. It's actually made a lot of them stop calling in the past. Sometimes they send their condolences before hanging up and sometimes they just hang up without saying anything (probably realizing that I'm lying, but they're not going to get anything accomplished anyway).

I was back home one summer while I was in college. Almost every morning around 8 am the same telemarketer would call asking for me. I finally had enough and offered phone sex to the woman on the line. She said goodbye and never called back again.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!!!!!!!!

A few months ago I had an anonymous caller call asking for me and then saying he was someone affiliated with the United States government. He claimed that I was eligible for a government grant. He then asked for my bank information so the money would go directly into my account. I immediately hung up. How stupid did this guy think I was? 1. Since when does the U.S government give me money and 2. Never give your bank information over the phone especially if they won't reveal their name.