AEP is at it yet again...

Our area's rates were artificially deflated for 50 years. This is just energy prices reverting to the mean, unfortunately. AEP's Price/KwH is the 2nd lowest in the state for coal-based energy and well below the average for the rest of the state. Even after the last decade of rate hikes.

Our area's rates were artificially deflated for 50 years. This is just energy prices reverting to the mean, unfortunately. AEP's Price/KwH is the 2nd lowest in the state for coal-based energy and well below the average for the rest of the state. Even after the last decade of rate hikes.

could care less.

could care less.

I'm glad that you care about this. It's important to know why AEP is requesting such rate hikes instead of pissing and moaning while being wholly clueless about that which you're pissing and moaning.

The question then becomes, however, HOW much less could you care? Do you care significantly, or is it just the generic level of care? Others probably couldn't care less, but I gots to know.

I'm glad that you care about this. It's important to know why AEP is requesting such rate hikes instead of pissing and moaning while being wholly clueless about that which you're pissing and moaning.

The question then becomes, however, HOW much less could you care? Do you care significantly, or is it just the generic level of care? Others probably couldn't care less, but I gots to know.

my level of care is inversely proportional to your level of smartass.

by the way, if AEP had a clue they would just blame it on Obama's EPA and the whole "war on coal" thing...no one would question it, and would probably ask for a higher increase...coal by god.

by the way, if AEP had a clue they would just blame it on Obama's EPA and the whole "war on coal" thing...no one would question it, and would probably ask for a higher increase...coal by god.

Good one Lance!

Ouch, really made my green eyes blue with that one. /Sarcasm.

You made a douchey post, and I popped you for it. You can't really play the "couldn't care less" card when YOU'RE THE FREAKING ORIGINAL POSTER. Instead of trying to have an intelligent discussion as to why those rate hikes are occurring, you made a nonsensical insult, which you hilariously bungled.

I would try to further discuss market and political influences on this rate hike, but I would be wasting my time. There's no use in having a discussion with someone who refuses to listen to reason and holds unshakable biases.

i wonder what 4th-graderish response I'll see to this post.

Ouch, really made my green eyes blue with that one. /Sarcasm.

You made a douchey post, and I popped you for it. You can't really play the "couldn't care less" card when YOU'RE THE FREAKING ORIGINAL POSTER. Instead of trying to have an intelligent discussion as to why those rate hikes are occurring, you made a nonsensical insult, which you hilariously bungled.

I would try to further discuss market and political influences on this rate hike, but I would be wasting my time. There's no use in having a discussion with someone who refuses to listen to reason and holds unshakable biases.

i wonder what 4th-graderish response I'll see to this post.

I know the company line on why they want to constantly increase the electric bills in this area, my response of could care less was directed in that direction, because I really don't care. If you think AEP is losing money in this area or any area all you have to do is look at their bottom line...they are crushing it.

I really don't care why they want a rate increase, all they do is constantly request rate increases from the SCC, they have them lined up to infinity (and beyond - for you Toy Story fans).

Nothing really to debate here if you think about it.

Good day sir.

I know the company line on why they want to constantly increase the electric bills in this area, my response of could care less was directed in that direction, because I really don't care. If you think AEP is losing money in this area or any area all you have to do is look at their bottom line...they are crushing it.

I really don't care why they want a rate increase, all they do is constantly request rate increases from the SCC, they have them lined up to infinity (and beyond - for you Toy Story fans).

Nothing really to debate here if you think about it.

Good day sir.

Now that the dust has settled, let's talk.

It's extremely meaningful to know why AEP is requesting rate hikes annually. It's the difference between whether AEP is just doing this capriciously, or whether there is actually a method to the madness. If all a person does is squawk like a chicken every time AEP goes to the cookie jar, it loses its effect. If you cry wolf, people are eventually going to start disregarding what you say and mocking you.

And our legislators ARE mocking us. Ken Cuccinelli, the next governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, gave a powerful set of town hall lectures showing the following:

(1) For 50 years, AEP ran at a significant loss in Appalachia to generate the coal power that would be subsidized by higher rates outside the region.

(2) AEP can't justify running at a loss in Appalachia with coal on the decline.

(3) AEP, even after a decade of rate hikes, is still the 2nd lowest (of 34) coal-based energy providers in VA.

(4) SWVA is so economically depressed as a whole that AEP cannot justify a lump rate hike, and must do so incrementally.

Maybe this area would prefer Dominion, who would have no reservations with charging 30% more on our light bills.

No one likes to see the price of utilities jump. I sure don't. But bleating like a sheep with its wool on fire over something that is entirely fiscally justifiable will diminish the effect of our anger when we REALLY need it.

Now that the dust has settled, let's talk.

It's extremely meaningful to know why AEP is requesting rate hikes annually. It's the difference between whether AEP is just doing this capriciously, or whether there is actually a method to the madness. If all a person does is squawk like a chicken every time AEP goes to the cookie jar, it loses its effect. If you cry wolf, people are eventually going to start disregarding what you say and mocking you.

And our legislators ARE mocking us. Ken Cuccinelli, the next governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, gave a powerful set of town hall lectures showing the following:

(1) For 50 years, AEP ran at a significant loss in Appalachia to generate the coal power that would be subsidized by higher rates outside the region.

(2) AEP can't justify running at a loss in Appalachia with coal on the decline.

(3) AEP, even after a decade of rate hikes, is still the 2nd lowest (of 34) coal-based energy providers in VA.

(4) SWVA is so economically depressed as a whole that AEP cannot justify a lump rate hike, and must do so incrementally.

Maybe this area would prefer Dominion, who would have no reservations with charging 30% more on our light bills.

No one likes to see the price of utilities jump. I sure don't. But bleating like a sheep with its wool on fire over something that is entirely fiscally justifiable will diminish the effect of our anger when we REALLY need it.

you must have had a lot of coffee lately. All i said was AEP is at it again and posted a link to the rate hike...you've run wild with it...lmao.

Is Cuccinelli the loony bin who thinks Obama isn't a citizen, swears gas emissions aren't harmful to our environment, and favors abstinence only sex-ed programs? Or is that someone else?

For the record, I'm agree with your take on AEP.

and just to be fair UVAO, I do apologize for not carrying on a legit conversation with you on this...but, honestly I just don't have it in me today to do so. I understand what you are saying and I really don't have anything to dispute or add to it...I was just pointing out they were working on yet another one.