Bear in Bristol

Yesterday, me and some friends went to Wallace Middle School (Battle's feeder school) to play some basketball on their outdoor court. About 10 minutes after we left, my mom showed me a picture on her phone that my sister-in-law took when she drove by shortly after we left. It was a pic of a young looking black bear crossing the street right beside of the school and court we were playing on. I guess being a bit out of shape, causing us to stop playing and leave sooner than planned, really helped out in this situation, lol. I just wonder where the momma bear might be.

Yesterday, me and some friends went to Wallace Middle School (Battle's feeder school) to play some basketball on their outdoor court. About 10 minutes after we left, my mom showed me a picture on her phone that my sister-in-law took when she drove by shortly after we left. It was a pic of a young looking black bear crossing the street right beside of the school and court we were playing on. I guess being a bit out of shape, causing us to stop playing and leave sooner than planned, really helped out in this situation, lol. I just wonder where the momma bear might be.

Meh. We're in the woods. Bears reside in the woods. Honestly, I'm surprised we don't see far more of them than we already do.

Meh. We're in the woods. Bears reside in the woods. Honestly, I'm surprised we don't see far more of them than we already do.

I wonder how many bears are in the Bristol/Washington County area? Like you said, we're in the woods. You'd think with so much nature and wildlife around that more would be seen. I honestly haven't seen a black bear in this area since I was a kid (and I think it escaped from Bays Mountain).

I don't think we see as many bears as we should solely because of the black bear's demeanor. They're there, but they typically avoid humans. They are actually more scared of us than we are of them. Just don't cross a cub the wrong way because you're in mama bear's sights already.

We'd be in BIG trouble around here if we were in Grizzly bear country though. Those suckers are mean.

We'd be in BIG trouble around here if we were in Grizzly bear country though. Those suckers are mean.

I have a friend that goes on trips to Montana and such places where Grizzly bears reside and the area guides all tell visitors the same thing about Grizzly's: "If a Grizzly decides it wants to eat you and you're unarmed, that's pretty much what is going to happen. You can't escape it."

A car hit and killed a bear on I-77 just outside of Bluefield on Friday. Mile marker 4.2 is very close to our farm, where I hunt and have pictures of bears from on my trail cam. Who knows, I may have a pic of the bear that was hit.

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1543059341/Emergency-responders-answer-call-to-vehicle-versus-bear-wreck