John Battle 2013

V-Cats

How's Battle supposed to be this coming year? I doubt anyone expects anything near what they pulled off last year, but they've probably got enough left to scrape together a playoff run

It's going to be a lot tougher than last season, that's for sure, but the biggest thing we need is to rebuild the line (which scares me...not the place you want to lose too many people). Lot of young ones are going to have to step it up this season. If they do, and we can fill some holes in the line, I think we'll be ok and could definitely have another winning season.

Logan Honaker played as many if not more snaps at QB that Tipton last season. Carter Harlow started a lot of games at HB while Rogers was dealing with injury. Mathew Chapman was the starting FB before his season was ended with a severe cut on his leg at Lebanon. Josh Matney started every game at WR. Harlow, Matney and Honaker placed 1,2,3 in the 200 at the district track meet for a reason. The Trojans will have speed and talent at the skill positions. Here is where it gets interesting--- Last season they had 7-8 lineman that could play on Friday nights including 5 seniors. Only 2 starters return. The good news is that the Wing T is lineman friendly especially at the guards. I remember Coach Wright telling me that he's even moved WR's to guard before if they were tough enough. Finding 3 lineman is a big job but IMO replacing the leadership of last years class will be more difficult. If they have a few kids step up into those leadership roles, I really believe the last game of the season against Union will be for the district championship.

You mentioned everything offensive. What about defense? I think that is where JSB will miss last year's senior class the most. That side of the ball was the difference for them. Depth with be also be an issue, in my opinion. With that being considered and adding in a tougher schedule, 6-5 a great year, 4-6 expected.

You mentioned everything offensive. What about defense? I think that is where JSB will miss last year's senior class the most. That side of the ball was the difference for them. Depth with be also be an issue, in my opinion. With that being considered and adding in a tougher schedule, 6-5 a great year, 4-6 expected.

With Coach Wright's conditioning and with Coach Baker at the defensive helm, I think Battle will do fine on that side of the ball. On the subject of depth, we'll definitely have the numbers, but I don't know how good the younger ones coming up are. But like I mentioned, there's Coach Wright's conditioning to get them all into shape and focused on the fundamentals. I don't believe we'll get as good a record as last year (of course I hope we do though) with a much tougher schedule, but I at least see a winning season.

The linebackers should be pretty solid. Harlow, Chapman, Blaylock and Stoots (all started at LB last year for multiple games) will all be back. The D-line will have one part time starter back (Sam Martin) and the DBs will have Matney back and Honaker played some there last year too. They have been having around 50 kids coming to conditioning. If Wright, Baker and company can develop some linemen on both sides of the ball, they have a chance to have a pretty good season again this year.