Just canned some cucumbers...

using my grandparents mustard pickle recipe. These pickles were a staple at every Sunday-after-church lunch and every Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter dinner during the first 23 years of my life. This recipe hasn't been made since my grandparents both passed away in the early 90s. My wife was making some pickles this week and I reminisced about the pickles I ate as a young boy. I asked my mom if she had the recipe and she found it in my grandmother's old recipe box. Can't wait to crack open the first jar and take a step back in time!!!

That's fantastic! Be grateful that the recipe wasn't taken to the grave. Many, many recipes lost in my family.

There are two foods that I don't know if I'll ever have the heart to eat again:

(1) My grandaddy's beef jerky recipe (passed February 2011).

(2) My mother's lasagna recipe (3 weeks today).

I know loosely how to make them. I just can't.

Well, if the recipes aren't written down, go ahead and put them on paper (or computer) so you won't forget them (even if you only "loosely" know them).

Well, if the recipes aren't written down, go ahead and put them on paper (or computer) so you won't forget them (even if you only "loosely" know them).

Thankfully, the latter recipe was from the back of a Hunt's tomato sauce can, just with some meat/pepperoni added. A little sleuthing, and I should be able to recover that one. The former recipe was one my grandaddy said: "you really don't need a recipe". Sometimes he'd add some truly strange concoctions: one included pickle juice. It always tasted fantastic, somehow.

A couple of years ago my fiancé and I gathered up some of her Mamaws recipies, shes in good health we just didn't want to lose them. Her Papaw passed away a couple of years ago and his potato salad recipe went with him and no matter how we try we cant make it like his. Glad you were able to find the recipe GMan, and uvao, GMan is right get them on paper or a flashdrive. One day those recipies will bring back the best memories of your life.

Let us know how the pickles turn out

There's about a million recipe books just stuffed in corners here and there at my house that my parents have collected over the years (but they really only make a fraction of them, just the ones they memorized). I've been thinking for a while of going through them all and asking my parents, grandparents, and others in my family for their recipes, then organizing them all on my computer...just so I'll have them. My dad has several really good recipes where many people in his family love to cook and where he cooked in the army, but the one recipe I really want above all is my great aunt's caramel cake recipe. It's the only cake my grandfather would have on his birthday each year and since he passed some years ago, I've been having her make it for me every few years for my birthday.

Still looking for my grandmother's recipes for her coconut cake and coconut pie. My wife worked up a recipe for a coconut cake that was almost identical to my grandmother's cake but we haven't come close to the pie and I've never even seen or tasted one that was close.

My parents house is the same way lol A few years ago mom bought a binder(similar to the kind you put baseball cards in) to collect all of her recipes. Its worked great! Every time she gets out a recipe that isint in the book she will copy it over to one of the paper slips and it goes in the book. Everything in one place which makes it easy for her and one day my brother and I will have her recipes. She still has all of her cookbooks though lol.

Coconut pie is an art form, a mystical conjuring that is attempted by many but mastered by few!

• 3 months later...

My wife just popped open a jar of the pickles I made using my grandparent's recipe...JUST LIKE I REMEMBER THEM!!!!

I am very surprised, and quite happy.  Brought back some great memories on the first bite.

BTW...my wife's pickles didn't turn out too well.  I guess I'm the pickle maker of the family.  LOL!