RIP, Reggie Blevins (former Richlands hoops coach)

RichlandsAlum

Just learned of the passing of Coach Blevins.  He was the head basketball coach at Richlands from 1982 to 1986.  During that short tenure, he pulled the Blues out of the basement of the old 11-team SWD and established a winning tradition in Richlands that lasted for over a decade.  Long before Richlands started winning trophies on the football field, the school was recognized (and very rightly so, IMO) as being "basketball crazy."  That all started with the 1982-83 SWD tournament championship team led by Reggie and his assistant Jack Lyons.

On a personal note, I knew him as a good guy who was very generous to me in my own formative years.  Bit of an understatement to say that I learned a lot from him.

Obituary can be viewed here:

http://bdtonline.com/obituaries/x31536960/Mr-Reginald-Reggie-Keither-Blevins-Jr

Sorry to hear about Coach Blevins, prayers to his family. Indeed, you are correct in stating his influence on the successful BB program for Richlands during those years.

In talking to one of his former players, he said Coach Lyons was the head coach for the class of 1986 that played varsity BB in the fall of 1985. Blevins and Lyons were so closely intertwined in their coaching philosophy it wasn't much of a change for the boys.

Sorry to hear about Coach Blevins, prayers to his family. Indeed, you are correct in stating his influence on the successful BB program for Richlands during those years.

In talking to one of his former players, he said Coach Lyons was the head coach for the class of 1986 that played varsity BB in the fall of 1985. Blevins and Lyons were so closely intertwined in their coaching philosophy it wasn't much of a change for the boys.

Yeah, they were outstanding gentlemen and together they were a really fantastic coaching combination.  Lyons had actually been head coach for two seasons previously (1976-1978, I believe) and Reggie had served as his assistant those years.  When Blevins took the helm in 1981, there was some decent media buzz about the roles being reversed.

The second stint for Coach Lyons as head coach was similar to the first in that it only lasted for two years.  Ultimately, he gave it up because the stress was affecting his health -- he was so personally invested in the program that it was literally keeping him up at night.  He just couldn't unwind after a game and would be constantly going over details and other things in his mind for days afterward.

I'm more than a little bit biased because my whole family was pretty active in the basketball program, but the five seasons spanning from 1982 to 1987 represented something of a golden era for Richlands basketball of which most people today might be unaware.

(And for those who might be interested, last I heard Coach Lyons is still alive and is pastoring a church in Hansonville.)

Forgive me for indulging in one tangent....

One innovation that Coach Lyons introduced during his second stint was the "flex" offense (essentially uploading a post or another wing player to the foul line in the typical offensive alignment).  I even borrowed it for use with my oldest son's rec league team this past winter.  We won a lot of games with it and the other coaches in our league were impressed that I actually knew something useful -- although I had to explain and give full credit for it to Coach Lyons.

• 8 years later...