Haysi article

redtiger

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_965bebb0-20df-11e3-97d2-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Haysi squad keeping Colley young

Veteran can still coach the Tigers up, and Friday’s win over Clintwood proves it

Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier thayes@bristolnews.com | Twitter:@Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570 | Updated 23 hours ago

HAYSI, Va. – As he worked with his quarterback and wide receivers at practice Tuesday afternoon, Haysi High School head coach James Colley exhibited unbridled enthusiasm.

He spoke quickly and loudly, offered encouragement and even demonstrated a particular passing drill he wanted done.

It was the type of spryness and high energy you would expect from a guy straight out of college, but this is the dean of Southwest Virginia prep football coaches we’re talking about.

“Somebody once asked me, ‘How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you were?’ †Colley said. “You’re only as old as you feel.â€

In truth, Colley is 58 years young and in his 32nd season as the Tigers’ boss.

It’s hard to remember anybody else but Colley stalking the sidelines at his alma mater.

When Colley officially made his debut as Haysi’s head football coach way back on Aug. 27, 1982 – a 26-0 victory over Honaker that was keyed by Denny Bise, Russell Edwards and Bob O’Quinn – Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger†held the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High†was the newest hit in movie theaters.

Since that dazzling debut, he’s won more than 200 games, claimed three regional titles and numerous Black Diamond District championships.

Along the way he’s gained the reputation of being an offensive genius, a gridiron guru and a mastermind of the Tigers’ patented aerial attack.

“I don’t know where that comes from,†Colley said. “We’ve always liked to throw the ball here at Haysi. I think your team has to have an identity. What is Haysi known for? We’re known for throwing the football. We also run the football, but people think of us as a passing team.â€

Haysi has produced several standout quarterbacks and wide receivers through the years. But initially Colley’s Cats embraced the wide-open brand of football out of necessity.

“We weren’t big enough to move anybody of the way, to run over top of anybody and I liked the shotgun at the time – Bobby Bowden at Florida State – we sort of adopted that and went from it and through the years it’s grown,†Colley said. “It’s just worked out great for us.â€

It certainly worked out last Friday night.

Jalen Sykes threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Mullins with less than 15 seconds remaining as Haysi stunned Clintwood, 26-22, in a game that sent shockwaves from Ewing to Onley and made news from Nora to Newport News.

You could say the victory reinvigorated Colley, but in reality the passion has never dwindled for the former Emory & Henry College tailback.

“I wouldn’t be doing this now if I wasn’t excited about it,†Colley said. “I love this time of the year. Working with football players and young guys, it’s super to watch them grow and excel.

“This group is no different. They celebrated [last Friday]. They were jumping up and down, along with all the coaches and the community. I love it and that’s why I’ve stuck with it all these years.â€

The Drive

Prior to Friday, Haysi hadn’t beaten Clintwood since 2006, dropping eight straight games to its county rival. During the 2011 season, the Tigers had lost twice to the Greenwave by scores of 48-12 and 45-0.

This time it was different. The game was close throughout and Haysi held the lead late.

When Clintwood scored with a minute left to go up 22-18, many probably wondered if it wasn’t meant to be.

“We were devastated that they scored in the last minute,†Mullins said. “I was just hoping we could pull something off.â€

The wise coach didn’t panic.

“I told our guys, ‘Guys we haven’t lost. This game is not over. We’ve still got a minute to go and we’ve got three timeouts’ â€Colley said. “Our quarterback was cool, calm and collected. He did a really good job.â€

A junior, Sykes was the back-up QB last season and played wide receiver. He’s a smart kid that enjoys his role as the signal-caller, but his quick to give credit to his teammates for any success he’s had.

Six days ago he found himself in a high-pressure situation, but delivered the most clutch of plays.

“We kind of drew it up,†Sykes said. “They gave us a two-deep look and we kind of knew they would key on Tanner O’Quinn, because he had an awesome game, too. I looked at him and Tyler came open and I gave him a chance to catch it and he made an awesome catch.

“The line gave me all day to throw and it all comes back to them.â€

The go-ahead score sent the capacity crowd into a frenzy. It was the most important win for Haysi in years and took the Tigers from an afterthought to contender.

“Huge win,†Colley said. “Any time you beat someone in your county, you’re very excited and every one else is excited. Clintwood has had great success for many years, so it was an extremely big win for us.â€

The Veteran

Colley hasn’t changed much since that first season.

His Magnum P.I.-like mustache might be gone, but he still has plenty of creative play calls in his memory bank and his love for the game of football hasn’t diminished one iota.

“He’s an awesome coach,†Sykes said. “The last play [against Clintwood] was an awesome call. We always trust him and know he’s going to make a good call when it counts.â€

He proved it again on Friday. Heck, he’s been proving it since 1982.

“What is it, 32 years now?†Sykes said. “That just shows you right there – 32 years at one school. That shows you how good of a coach he is.â€