Lebanon at John Battle

battleftbl

Lebanon deserves a lot of credit as they came out very determined and controlled the ball in the first half..  Battle couldn't get much going early which resulted in a 14-0 Lebanon lead.  At that point,  Battle opened up the offense completing 17-19 passes for 312 yards through the air. It seems that someone always steps up when Battle needs it the most and last night it was 4-5 kids coming up with big plays. Coaching staff deserves a credit for opening it up when needed also. It looks like Lebanon is on the right path.  They're playing a bunch of young kids and they've given both Honaker and Battle a tough fight for 2 quarters.  As soon as those kids start putting 4 quarters together, they'll be a very dangerous team for anyone to play.

This Battle coaching staff really knows how to adapt when the game plan isn't working out and these kids can really step it up when things look bad. I was worried when we got down 2 touchdowns, but then that hard fight to the endzone by Blaylock helped wake everyone up and the passing game was great! To anyone who still thinks Battle is one-dimensional...think again!

And a great effort by Lebanon. I knew they didn't have hardly any seniors and are mostly juniors, but didn't expect them to fight that hard. They'll keep moving forward this season and next year they will be very tough. My hat's off to them.

Honaker & Co. lead Battle past Lebanon, 30-14

Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:51 am | Updated: 2:57 am, Sat Sep 21, 2013.

BRISTOL, Va. -– After spending the last three weeks managing the John Battle offense, quarterback Logan Honaker kicked it up a notch Friday night.

Several notches, in fact.

empty.gif

Honaker unleashed his right arm and completed 17-of-19 passes for 312 yards and two touchdowns, while a trio of senior teammates supplied game-changing plays to help homestanding Battle overcome determined Lebanon for a hard-earned 30-14 non-district victory.

A junior, Honaker rarely missed, and his finest hour pulled the Trojans out of a 14-0 hole late in the first half.

“We had to take what they were giving us,†said Honaker, who led a second-half comeback by hitting on 8-of-8 for 188 yards after intermission. “Hard work pays off.â€

Lebanon ruled the game’s first 22 minutes with a polished ground attack under the direction of quarterback Ben Sexton, who broke free on a 73-yard belly keeper and scored on a pair of 1-yard sneaks, the second with 1:28 left before the half.

“We’ve got to do something or this thing might get ugly on us,†said Battle coach Steve Wright. “We had to respond and make something happen, and quickly.â€

Justus Blaylock made it happen just before the half, turning in a herculean effort on a 25-yard touchdown play after catching a short screen pass from Honaker.

A 5-foot-10, 160-pound senior fullback, Blaylock broke two tackles and dragged two other defenders into the end zone to score with 18 seconds on the clock, getting Battle to within 14-7 at the half.

Lebanon (1-2) ran for 171 yards in the first half – 113 by Sexton.

“We had been moving the ball well and we were really hoping to get into halftime up 14-0 there, but that kid made a play that was the turning point of the game,†said Lebanon coach Phil Henley. “John Battle has a knack for making big plays at the right time.â€

Blaylock was not going to be denied the end zone.

“I had great blocking and I hustled all the way through,†Blaylock said. “I just ran as hard as I could until the whistle blew.â€

Wright marvels at Blaylock’s tenacity.

“He’s just tough as nails,†Wright said. “He is one determined kid.â€

Battle owned the second half, limiting Lebanon to just 77 total yards.

There was only one turnover all night between the two clubs.

“Some seniors really stepped it up on both sides of the ball,†Wright said.

The unbeaten Trojans, now 4-0, tied the game by taking the second-half kickoff 80 yards in 14 plays, Honaker sneaking it in from the 1 after hitting 4 of 4 passes for 60 yards on the drive.

Battle then took the lead for keeps when reliable Josh Matney, a speedy 5-foot-10, 160-pound senior slotback who would catch seven balls for 183 yards, nabbed a quick hitch pass from Honaker, broke two tackles and zoomed 76 yards to the end zone with 1:02 remaining in the third period.

“Josh and I have been best friends since we were born and we’ve just got a good connection,†Honaker said. “He’s one of the best athletes I’ve ever known and he just has a knack for making big plays.â€

Missed tackles cost Lebanon.

“We’ve got to tackle better,†Henley said. “But when you’ve got young kids out there trying to tackle speedsters like Carter Harlow and that No.15 [Matney], that can lead to some problems.â€

Following a 37-yard Wes Blaylock field goal that upped Battle’s edge to 24-14, Harlow put the game away when the 6-foot-1, 178-pound senior running back broke two tackles and sprinted away to a 60-yard TD dash with just under three minutes left in the game.

Battle finished with 438 total offensive yards behind the leadership of senior center Sam Martin, as Harlow chipped in with 82 yards rushing on 10 carries and 88 yards receiving on five catches.

“We were in a little danger zone there - a lot of times teams get down two touchdowns and go into a shell,†Wright said. “But we responded against a real good and well-coached football team.

“I’m really proud of my kids.â€

Battle travels to Patrick Henry next week, while Lebanon hosts Wise County Central.

Lebanon 7 7 0 0-14

John Battle 0 7 4 9-0

Scoring Summary

L-Sexton 1 run (Owens kick)

L-Sexton 1 run (Owens kick)

JB-J.Blaylock 25 pass from Honaker (W.Blaylock kick)

JB-Honaker 1 run (W.Blaylock kick)

JB-Matney 76 pass from Honaker (W.Blaylock kick)

JB-FG W.Blaylock 37

JB-Harlow 60 run (kick blocked)

Team Stats

First Downs: L 11, JB 16; Rushes-Yards: L 38-228, JB 29-126; Passing Yards: L 28, JB 312; Comp-Att-Int: L 5-16-0, JB 17-19-0; Fumbles-Lost: L 3-0, JB 3-1; Penalties: L 6-40, JB 1-5; Punts: L 4-41.0, JB 1-36.

I feel compelled to give credit where credit is due.  The Battle QB was on fire Friday night against Lebanon.  17 out of 19 for 312 yards is awesome.  If Battle can continue to be able to pass when the run is taken away or run when the pass is taken away, they will be hard to handle.