congrats haysi

cwood78

First and foremost, thoughts with the young lady from Honaker. I have absolutely no idea what happened but the ambulance did take her out, they didn't seem in a big hurry for what its worth.

Now on to the game, GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opening kickoff was taken 95ish yards for a TD by Tanner O'Quinn with Jeff Bowen making a key block. Honaker came right back in typical Honaker style with a strong running attack and drove to the goal line before being stopped by a fumble. I truly believe that was the tuning point in the game. Haysi's Defense was able to get low and play tough, really slowing down Honaker's offense. Once Haysi got up Honaker wasn't able to play catch up.  Haysi was quicker, more aggressive and just as strong. Honestly I cant remember a lot of the details of the game. Honaker came out on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and had a long methodical drive for a TD but used a lot of time. From there on they had to pass and Haysi's quickness kept the QB rattled, he wasn't able to get set and really throw the ball. Honaker did have a very nice screen pass for a TD. 

Bowen had a great night for Haysi. Idk his exact yards but he probably had around 250 yards of total offense, solid night for him.  Imo the unsung player of the game for Haysi was Tristan Yates, Bowen may have had a lot of yards but Yates running the ball inside held the defense and really kept Honaker's D from being able to focus on Bowen. And on just about every run Bowen had Yates as his lead blocker. Tanner O'Quinn had a lot of all purpose yards tonight too, very good WR and tonight he was a very good runner.

A lot of penalties against Haysi tonight, sloppy in that regard and they need to get that fixed or it will catch up to them at some point.

I have no idea how many people were there tonight but the stands were FULL by 6:15, easily the most fans ive ever seen at Sandlick.  Both crowds were big, loud and rowdy. Great atmosphere.  

First undefeated season for Haysi since '93.   

I agree redtiger on the significance early with the goal line stand.  True also that the Haysi pass rush was a huge factor.  Bowen is an absolute stud and Tristan Yates had a nice game along with Tanner Oquinn.  The line played very well on both sides.  Way too many penalties on Haysi considering the fact that Haysi's defensive end was getting held on practically every play.  Despite the blowout score it was easy to see this Honaker team has some strengths.  They are a solid football team but Haysi just played very well. 

I was somewhat disappointed with the # in attendance.  Thought it would be much more.  It was very similar to the Clintwood game earlier in the year and didn't come anywhere close to approaching the crowd on hand for the playoff game against Lebanon in '91.

Haysi's last undefeated regular season was actually '95, not '93.  To me this may be the most impressive undefeated season though considering we had to beat a solid 8 win Clintwood team and a previously unbeaten Honaker team. 

I couldn't remember exactly what year it was. You're right about this being an impressive season, this team wasn't challenged every week but they beat the #5 and #1 ranked teams, nd that's a #1 team that was a rival and really wanted to win. That's impressive.

I think it was really sort of a perfect storm for Haysi, if these 2 meet again I would expect a very close game(that's what I expected this time).

Youre right, 57 was held on every single play.

Crowd was big, largest ive ever seen, I think it was considerably larger than the Clintwood crowd earlier this season(imo by several hundred people at least) but that's just my opinion, I would like to know how many were in attendance.  Lebanon '91 was a HUGE game, if Haysi is able to make it to the state semis I would imagine there will be a MASSIVE crowd on hand.

Ive never seen a Haysi RB be able to get outside on Honaker and Bowen did all night.

Offensive and Defensive play calling and overall scheme were perfect last night. Im very impressed with our Defensive coordinator(former DC at Ervinton)

Congrats to Haysi on a dominate win !  Congrats also on having an undefeated season and being district champions !  I thought Haysi had a chance to win,  but I would have never thought that they would have won in the way they did !

Congrats to Honaker on a great season !  It may not feel that way right now,  but it was a great regular season.

Now it's on to the playoffs for both teams and i wish both teams good luck and much success !

Both teams could be in for long playoff runs, I certainly hope so anyway.

Honaker is a great ball team and doesn't have a weakness.

Honestly the pride I have right now in Haysi, Honaker and Clintwood is almost too much for me. Those 2 are rivals of ours so im fond of them. A combined record of 17-3. Very impressive

Yeah it was probably the largest attendance for a regular season game that I can remember.  Clintwood game was a big crowd this year though.  I think cold weather was a slight factor last night as far as attendance. I agree that if we are playing at home in the state semis there will be a tremendous crowd this year. 

I am proud of the Honaker and Clintwood teams as well and how good football is in this little corner of SWVA.  Combined record of Haysi, Clintwood and Honaker is 27-3 with only losses coming from playing each other.  Even more impressive.

I will give our defensive coodinator some props too..and even though he coached at Ervinton he is a Haysi graduate.  Was a nice scheme last night.  Much better than the scheme we had for Clintwood.  I think we will scheme Clintwood much better if we play them again.  With how the seedings look at the moment we cannot face Honaker again unless it is for the state championship, which would be awesome. 

Honaker really didnt have an answer for Bowen getting the edge and didn't have an answer for the defensive pressure and pursuit.  We ran stretch plays and toss sweeps all night and they could never stop it.  Those 2 factors were the deciding keys of the game in my opinion.

you're right. 27-3, once I ran out of fingers and toes I was lost. lol

Yeah I knew he was a Haysi boy. I know a lot of people don't really think about it (but I do), I'm very happy/excited for the players/coaches that came from Ervinton. The coaches and dedicated players went through a lot up there and I'm glad they finally get to have some success.

At one point Honaker started stopping the Sweep and as soon as they did Bowen started cutting back off-tackle, beautiful running. Its incredible how much that young man has matured in both his attitude and his playing from last season.

Congrats to Haysi, Haysi was ready to play and well coached last night. Honaker looked like they were still trying to find there way over big a in the first half and was out coached bad. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

There was a Clintwood RB from Evington, he is no longer with the team.  He was their FB and a LB, he was a HUGE loss for the Greenwave. He gave their offense some consistency. Losing him, along with the injuries to the OL has been devastating for Clintwood this season.

Haysi BDD champs in 79, 80, 84, 85, 87, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 01, 03, 06, 08, 09, 13.

19 overrall, 17 under Colley.  Interesting in 04 and 05 Honaker won BDD both years while Haysi went18-2 in those 2 regular seasons and beat Honaker in 05 playoffs before going on to win Region D.  Also interesting that Honaker has narrowed the gap in recent years.  At one point in the series from '89-'99 Haysi won 9 of 10. 

The 04 Haysi team led by Jake Colley was a good one but didn't make the playoffs. They fell to Honaker @ Honaker, very good defensive game plan by Orange that night and a strong running game. Cant remember their RBs name that year but he had a great game.

Before '99 it wasn't even close. Honaker was a well thought of program but Haysi owned the BDD with Garden or Hurley occasionally having a good season and winning the district. Honakers rise began with the '99 team(lead by Miller) and really hasn't dropped off since. Miller was a fine player and helped them make it as far as they did in '99 and '00 but there was a lot more to those teams than just Miller.

Districts may not mean a lot anymore but being BDD champ still carries a lot of weight in Haysi, the chant of "who are we, who are we, best damn team in the B D D" went out with about 90 seconds left in the game. There's a lot of pride in winning the district.   

So who are the teams that won the BDD in the years that Haysi didn't?

Pocahontas won the 1st title but idk the year, '78 maybe?

Honaker won in 99, 00, 02, 04, 05, 07, 10, 11, 12.(im thinking there is another year prior to '99)

Hurley won it in '92 

Garden in '88

Whitewood never

Twin Valley never

St Paul never

Council never

Grundy never

we need winners for any before 79 and 81 82 83 86 88

The inaugural year of the Black Diamond District was in 1978 and yes, Pocahontas won it for their one and only time that year.  Prior to '78 most of the teams in the newly formed BDD were in the Clinch Valley District.  Garden won the BDD in '81 and '86 and '89 I believe.  I think Hurley won it in '82, '83 and '92.  '88 was Honaker.