What do you guys think about the...

BlueTornadoFan

stuff going on down in Austin? Mack Brown is reportedly stepping down. It kinda sounds as if he's being forced out, more than anything. That's sad. Pretty much the same scenario as Tennessee and Phil Fulmer. Also, does anyone believe the Saban to Texas rumors? 

stuff going on down in Austin? Mack Brown is reportedly stepping down. It kinda sounds as if he's being forced out, more than anything. That's sad. Pretty much the same scenario as Tennessee and Phil Fulmer. Also, does anyone believe the Saban to Texas rumors? 

Anything is possible, but Bama is restructuring Saban's contract that will give him a sizable raise, and Saban is recruiting his butt off for Bama, so I think he stays. 

Well Deloss Dodd was basically stripped of his power months ago and forced to retire.  They've got a ton of problems in Austin right now.  It's only logical that Mack Brown would be the next to go.  He was going to be the fall guy after Muschamp left in my opinion.  Some of these head coaches that lose the really good coordinators don't survive for very long if the product suffers from losing a coordinator.

Chip Brown always does a good job of reporting on things going on in Austin and here was a good article he wrote that I read recently that talked about the problems and questionable decisions that showed up in the athletics department.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1578470&PT=4&PR=2

As far as Saban, hard to say about him.  There's plenty of reasons to think that he stays in Alabama and there's plenty of reasons to think he takes the Texas job if they want him.

Guys like Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer are rare breeds.  They are more comfortable in the process of building their success than they are maintaining their success.  In any walk of life, it is much more difficult to maintain success than it is to build it anyway.  I think they have it figured out for them and it works.  In and out in 8 years.  Guys like Phil Fulmer, Mack Brown, and the locally beloved Frank Beamer spend decades in one location.  Over time, not only are these guys having to replace top players but they begin to have to replace top assistants as well.  Other conference schools start to spend money to compete with the Alabama's and the landscape becomes much more convoluted.  Just look at Auburn.  Gus Malzhan was the common denominator with Auburn winning the national championship a few years ago, not Gene Chizik and Auburn threw a ton of money at Chizik to go away and threw another ton at Malzhan to come back.  Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, are all getting markedly better than in Saban's first few years at Alabama.  Georgia, South Carolina, and LSU can beat anyone in the country on any given night and/or any given year.  Florida and Arkansas are down but I don't think anybody believes they will stay there.

Saban will go to Texas to become comfortable in the process again! 

Just my opinion.

I think Texas thinks far too highly of itself.

However...

If any school could lure Saban away, it's Texas.  They've got the money and no reservations about using it.  If Saban goes, expect the contract to be just absurd in terms of money.  I'm talking "pushing $10M/year".

Brian Davis, a former chancellor at UT stated in an interview today that Texas would never pay those numbers ($10 Mil.) for a head football coach.   I think they would probably go in the neighborhood of $7 million, but so would Bama in my opinion.   Saban is already making $5 Mil. per year.

In response to the post by @sixcat, Saban has alread maintained success at Bama.  It is hard to argue that in 7 years anyone has been as successful.  He recruits like a machine and loves it.  He is 62 years old, and had said before he is "too damn old" to start over somewhere else.  I heard this argument almost word-for-word on ESPN earlier today, and I agree at one time this was probably true, but I think at this stage in his career he is comfortable with the program he has built at Alabama. 

Something that has not been mentioned is the difference in style of play in the Big 12.  Almost every team in the Big 12 runs the spread and some form of a HUNH offense.  Saban has made no secret of his dislike for the HUNH.  Even though some SEC teams have gone to the HUNH, I don't believe he would want to be in a league that has to defend that week after week.  Just my humble opinion.

With all due respect, Blueinbama, he said the same thing at LSU and Miami.  I think he loves the midset of building something that is seemingly broken.  He has left every program he has been a part of in better shape than it was in when he arrived.  I think he has one more building process in him.

With all due respect, Blueinbama, he said the same thing at LSU and Miami.  I think he loves the midset of building something that is seemingly broken.  He has left every program he has been a part of in better shape than it was in when he arrived.  I think he has one more building process in him.

He was much younger then.  He's 62, and I believe he is tired of moving around.   We shall see.  There's a lot of difference in moving and starting over at 52 than at 62. 

I hate to say...no, I don't...I told you so! 

I never had a doubt.  It's too hard to rebuild a program when you're 62 years old and looking retirement in the eye a few years from now.

Ha, never had a doubt?  Here, look over this.  I think it's applicable here:

denial /de·ni·al/ (dÄ­-ni´il) in psychiatry, a defense mechanism in which the existence of unpleasant internal or external realities is kept out of conscious awareness.

And to your next point, I think it's less about Saban rebuilding a program, and more about Jimmy Sexton using his leverage to get Saban (and himself) a monster contract.  If Bama wouldn't have ponied up the money, do you think he would have stayed?  

I never had a doubt.  It's too hard to rebuild a program when you're 62 years old and looking retirement in the eye a few years from now.

Ha, never had a doubt?  Here, look over this.  I think it's applicable here:

denial /de·ni·al/ (dÄ­-ni´il) in psychiatry, a defense mechanism in which the existence of unpleasant internal or external realities is kept out of conscious awareness.

And to your next point, I think it's less about Saban rebuilding a program, and more about Jimmy Sexton using his leverage to get Saban (and himself) a monster contract.  If Bama wouldn't have ponied up the money, do you think he would have stayed?  

I have said from the start of these rumors back in September that Saban would retire in Tuscaloosa.  Check my posts on the subject if you doubt me.  Sexton did his job.  Saban has gotten a raise 3 out of the last four years, so this is nothing new.  He'll probably get another raise in a couple of years as the market changes in his favor.  That's just good business.  As a former University president has said, Saban has been the best investment UA has made in the last seven years, and probably in its history.  So you can cease with the sarcastic Dictionary.com posts.  Saban isn't going anywhere, and that's not denial.  That's a fact, Jack!  It's fun to watch the talking heads backpeddle.  Colin Herd said he was 100% gone!  I can't wait to see his show Monday.  Talk about a healthy serving of crow!    

And I disagree that it's not about rebuilding a program at his age.  That's exactly why he said several weeks ago the he was "too damn old" to start over somewhere else.  He had no intentions of leaving.  It was all a media frenzy brought on back in September when Mack Brown lost his first two games, and it calmed down when Texas won six-in-a-row.  Then when he lost to OSU and Baylor, the media fanned the flames once again and Jimmy Sexton took advantage of the opportunity like a professional and got Nick Saban a well-deserved raise.  Do I think he would have left if that hadn't happened?  Who knows, I personally doubt it, but I had no doubt Bama was not going to let him leave because of money.  That won't happen.

This might help put things in perspective for those who take the media serioulsy.  Personally, I take about 10% of what they say as a possibility, and 90% of it as BS.

"Mack Brown is the coach at Texas. He deserves the right, based on his body of work, to be able to leave the program the way he wants to leave the program. It wasn't fair to him or to me to be speculating about this job, which I haven't talked to anybody there about. Really, the whole thing from my perspective stunk, but there wasn't a hell of a lot I could do about it".

†-- Nick Saban

"The way this sort of got spun, it was a little bit more like, 'OK, he got a new contract at Alabama, so he's going to stay at Alabama instead of going to Texas,'" Saban told ESPN.com on Saturday. "I never considered going to Texas. That wasn't even a conversation.

"I knew that if Mack stepped down, there would probably be an opportunity, but it wasn't something I was interested in doing, not at this stage in my career."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10136999/nick-saban-alabama-crimson-tide-coach-refutes-speculated-links-texas-longhorns?src=mobile