TW grads keep tradition alive

http://www.wcyb.com/news/thomas-walker-high-school-graduates-keep-tradition-alive/26380520

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting pretty sick of the ACLU and other similar groups stepping in and banning this and banning that instead of trying to compromise with a creative solution.

The ACLU does what it does, like it or not. I really believe that the song shouldn't be an official part of the ceremony. After the "official" ceremony is over sing the song. I also dont have an issue with the 2 teachers not participating, that's their choice and it should be respected. 

I think the easiest thing to do is remove "official" religious things from school events. Just turn the mic over to students for a select period of time, no problem because its not an "official" part of the program. Problem solved and the ACLU can get over it. For example instead of praying before a game let a member of the student body, maybe someone from the Bible Club or a member of the community, maybe a preacher say a few words. My understanding of the law is the problem would be solved.

Very glad to see everyone stand up for what they believe is right. Gotta love America

I think the easiest thing to do is remove "official" religious things from school events. Just turn the mike over to students for a select period of time, no problem because its not an "official" part of the program. Problem solved and the ACLU can get over it. For example instead of praying before a game let a member of the student body, maybe someone from the Bible Club or a member of the community, maybe a preacher say a few words. My understanding of the law is the problem would be solved

Gate City players had a tradition of getting together on their own and praying before the start of the football games a few years back, especially vs. Sullivan South after South had lost one of its players, and they received a letter from the ACLU and complaints over that.  Lee High and some others joined in for a while, Lee and GC kept it going for a year or so, then both had to stop.  I used to remember prayer being said over the PA at Lee games for many years, then it turned to a moment of silence for a while or nothing, and everyone stood and respected for all those years...but all it took then too was one year of a complaint(s).