Hokies hoops...

GMan

Just have to take it for what it is right now.  No lynching the HC, he has a spoon in a knife fight for the rest of this season.  Kids will learn, he's a good teacher, but the "talent" is nowhere near being good enough/experienced enough to even win a game or two in the ACC.  Buzz will right the ship, but it will take time...eight wins is as good as it gets this season...

I have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for VT basketball. Most of VT's "fans" run away like the bandwagoners they are and cheer for UNC/Duke in basketball. I have 0 respect for those fans. For the fans like you, Legend, and others, I empathize. It's been a brutal road.

That being said, VT already has 8 wins. VT is not going winless in ACC play, so we can put that notion to bed. There are some dogs in the ACC this season, and VT will muster 3-4 wins.

My concern for VT's future is Buzz bolting at the first sniff of success there.

My concern for VT's future is Buzz bolting at the first sniff of success there.

That is a legitimate concern.  But, VT can keep him for a while if some things fall into place.  Basketball needs additional support.  It got some when he was allowed to hire some additional personnel to help with the basketball program.  I think, no, I KNOW Buzz's biggest concern is being able to recruit, plus being able to be with the current players as much as possible in order to help them develop into the best players they can be (but let's face it, there is a ceiling on that second point).  Buzz has major concerns over "travel issues" for recruiting trips. 

The other week Buzz told us at a get together, "If I'm not here, we don't have practice.  And I've been on the road a lot lately recruiting."  Then he went on about being at four high schools one day then a game that night in Florida, then several more high schools the next day and a game in the Dallas area that night, and then another couple of schools and a game in St. Louis on the third night.  He said at the game in St. Louis, he was sitting there with the HC from Missouri (he didn't know his name...thought that was funny), Roy Williams from UNC, and Coach K from Duke.  While they were talking, Roy Williams asked him if he was leaving out after the game.  Buzz told him "No, I'm flying out to Greensboro in the morning, then driving back to Blacksburg."  Roy offered to fly him back to Blacksburg that night on his plane but Buzz said he didn't accept his offer.  He went on to say, "if can't be in a recruit's house one night and back at practice the next morning, I, and Virginia Tech, was already way behind the game..."

Unless VT can find a way to lessen Buzz's travel concerns, I agree with you, Buzz could fly off to another program in a heartbeat...

I'm surprised to hear that Buzz had to drive from Greensboro to Blacksburg. Wouldn't VT charter one for him? Perhaps this is some of the issue you mention.

It sounds as if Buzz is trying to instill a culture, which he must do. In time, his assistants will be able to run the program and allow him the freedom to keep an omnipresent schedule like Bennett keeps for us. Having McKay, Williford, and Sanchez has been so crucial to our squad continuing to improve. And it'a establishing a culture.

I hope Buzz is with you long enough to do that. A rising tide will life every ship in the conference.

I'm surprised to hear that Buzz had to drive from Greensboro to Blacksburg. Wouldn't VT charter one for him? Perhaps this is some of the issue you mention.

It sounds as if Buzz is trying to instill a culture, which he must do. In time, his assistants will be able to run the program and allow him the freedom to keep an omnipresent schedule like Bennett keeps for us. Having McKay, Williford, and Sanchez has been so crucial to our squad continuing to improve. And it'a establishing a culture.

I hope Buzz is with you long enough to do that. A rising tide will life every ship in the conference.

Yeh, that's that problem, lack of a plane to use for recruiting.  If he needs to fly, he goes to Greensboro to fly out.  He said he could go to Roanoke but that would cost more than driving to and flying out of G'boro since, from Roanoke you have to fly to DC, G'boro, or Charlotte before you fly to wherever you're going.  He said all that extra time in the car takes away from the team, practice, and his family.

VT fans need to be patient.  Buzz can right the ship with time and resources.  Its our job to give him both.

That's terrible and part of the reason Cuanzo left TN last year even though they made the Sweet 16.  The difference was, TN had the resources available but boosters and Cuanzo were butting heads early last season and the boosters pulled his access to planes.  TN probably spent the least amount of any major D1 school on recruiting for basketball versus how much that sport brought in last year.

Buzz is a dang good coach. Tech is lucky to have him. Tyndalls style of play fits better with TN fans and if things that happened at S. Miss dont get him in too deep with the NCAA TNs basketball budget should be expanding quite a bit.

“He demonstrated a lack of discipline and self-control at practice and as such this suspension was warranted," Tech coach Buzz Williams said.

That says a lot right there. Buzz made mention, the other week, of players needing to be "ALL IN"...apparently JVZ isn't...