VHS sweeps Lebanon...

Bearcat Bob

No-VHS still has to beat Union at Union to wrap up.  Lebanon has two losses, Union has two losses and GC has three losses (keep in mind, there are single games where the two teams only play once and so the result is doubled). The VHS-Union game is the only conference game in the series, so the result will be doubled.  If Union wins, then VHS will have three losses in conference play.

VHS still controls their own destiny.  Lebanon hosts Gate City on Tuesday and goes to Union on Thursday.  It should be an interesting week.

I dont know how that would work out then. If Union loses to VHS they are out regardless, but a win v. VHS and a Lebanon loss and I still think Union is out. 

Theres no way theres a four way tie I believe, if Union loses either game they are out of the running IIRC

Lebanon-Gate City is Tuesday and will have an effect on what happens.  A four way tie can occur if Lebanon loses to Gate City, Union beats VHS and then Lebanon beats Union.  All teams would then have 3 losses.  If Lebanon beats Gate City and Union and Union beats VHS then Lebanon will be the only team with 2 losses and thus the #1 seed.  If VHS beats Union on Tuesday, they clinch the #1.  If Union beats both VHS and Lebanon this week then they would be the #1 seed.  I believe that with 3 losses the best Gate City can do is for there to be a 4 way tie.

Maybe I am missing something.  VHS is 7-1 in conference 40.  Their only conference loss was to Gate City.  They only have one conference game left (tonight v. Union).  Their other game is v. Abingdon (non-conference).  VHS did lose to Union but that was in the Alpha Natural Resources Tournament and I do not believe that tournament losses count in the conference standings totals.    Looks to me like VHS can do no worse than tie for the #1 seed since everyone else in the conference has at least 2 losses already.

Even if there was a tie, I doubt there would be a playoff for conference seedings.  I believe the conference ADs got together in the summer to determine the format to break ties.  Head-to-head, record v. common opponents, district champs, etc  will probably decide the conference seedings.  I do not believe there is enough time, given the state dates o have extra playoff games.

Maybe I am missing something. VHS is 7-1 in conference 40. Their only conference loss was to Gate City. They only have one conference game left (tonight v. Union). Their other game is v. Abingdon (non-conference). VHS did lose to Union but that was in the Alpha Natural Resources Tournament and I do not believe that tournament losses count in the conference standings totals. Looks to me like VHS can do no worse than tie for the #1 seed since everyone else in the conference has at least 2 losses already.

Even if there was a tie, I doubt there would be a playoff for conference seedings. I believe the conference ADs got together in the summer to determine the format to break ties. Head-to-head, record v. common opponents, district champs, etc will probably decide the conference seedings. I do not believe there is enough time, given the state dates o have extra playoff games.

VHS and Union only play once in conference play. Therefore the result of that game gets counted twice. So if Union wins, VHSL will get two losses from it and vice versa.

Maybe I am missing something.  VHS is 7-1 in conference 40.  Their only conference loss was to Gate City.  They only have one conference game left (tonight v. Union).  Their other game is v. Abingdon (non-conference).  VHS did lose to Union but that was in the Alpha Natural Resources Tournament and I do not believe that tournament losses count in the conference standings totals.    Looks to me like VHS can do no worse than tie for the #1 seed since everyone else in the conference has at least 2 losses already.

Even if there was a tie, I doubt there would be a playoff for conference seedings.  I believe the conference ADs got together in the summer to determine the format to break ties.  Head-to-head, record v. common opponents, district champs, etc  will probably decide the conference seedings.  I do not believe there is enough time, given the state dates o have extra playoff games.

Virginia High's basic refusal to play everyone in the league (specifically the Wise Co schools twice) may bite them and bite them hard. No way Union could sweep them but in a one game situation at Union, the Bears have a great shot.  To me, they would have to have a playoff, the conference champ gets the auto bid to the regional or whatever its called now. 

I must be missing what you are saying guru.  The conference champ is decided by winning the conference tournament, not by who is seeded higher going into the conference tournament. So there is no need to have a playoff simply to decide conference seeding.  A team has to win the conference tournament to get the regional berth.  Or maybe this conference has chosen to do things differently?

By the way, VHS plays everyone in their district 2X.  Union is not in the district so why do you make it sound like it is big deal to not play Union 2X?  .   I am not sure what "league" to which you refer.  Districts and Conferences (league?) are two totally different beasts

The regular season conference champion gets one of the two auto bids to the west tournament the conference tournament champion gets the other.  Hence why Va. High's refusal to play everybody twice is a huge deal. The principals have screwed this up big time, period.  I kind of hope a big crazy tie happens and they have no clue what to do.  The fact the fans don't even know the setup, myself included, speaks to how asinine this is.  Rumor is next year John Battle is going to refuse to play people twice so only one of two games will count, if that's the case, why even go watch the games?  Only like six games matter, the rest are a waste of time.

If conference 40 has chosen the set up as you described, there is absolutely no need for districts.  So in essence, the conference has become the "district".  But it really is not because there are unbalanced schedules.  Teams do not have to play everybody twice in conference.  If there were no district requirements, it would be easier to play conference teams home-home. 

If VHS played everybody in the conference 2X, it would necessitate either not playing traditional rivalry games (THS) or not playing tournaments.  The VHSL limits the number of games a team can play. 

If this is the case, I would strongly endorse doing away with districts as a whole.  As I understand it now, the districts are a hindrance rather than a plus.

I agree with every post Guru has just made in this thread. VHS has helped create this mess by not scheduling Union twice. If they had, this mess could have been avoided.

They play in the same conference, and the regular season conference winner gets an auto-bid. So conferences are WAY more important than districts, and VHS only playing Union once is a joke. If you guys had done the right thing and scheduled us twice, you would likely have already sealed an automatic bid.

Bob, the regular season conference champion gets an automatic bid to Richlands, the conference tourney winner gets the second bid. 

So conference play is much more important than district play, as it can give you a slot in the semi-state tourney. So only playing teams like Central and Union once is ridiculous because it means so much going forward.

I didnt realize that if Union beat VHS and lost to Lebanon that they would have a shot at still being the auto-bid.

But if Lebanon beats Gate City and Union beats Virginia High, the game at Union on Thursday, LEB @ Union, decides the automatic bid. If Lebanon loses, they have to beat Union to force a three way tie as four teams will have three conference losses.

As of today, VHS has one conference loss, Union has two, Lebanon has two, and GC has two. 

If VHS beats Union, they wrap up the conference.

If Gate City beats Lebanon, and Union beats VHS, Gate City is still alive.

If Union beats VHS and Lebanon, they wrap up the conference.

If Lebanon beats Gate City and Union, they wrap up the conference.

I believe that's correct but could be wrong.

If conference 40 has chosen the set up as you described, there is absolutely no need for districts.  So in essence, the conference has become the "district".  But it really is not because there are unbalanced schedules.  Teams do not have to play everybody twice in conference.  If there were no district requirements, it would be easier to play conference teams home-home. 

If VHS played everybody in the conference 2X, it would necessitate either not playing traditional rivalry games (THS) or not playing tournaments.  The VHSL limits the number of games a team can play. 

If this is the case, I would strongly endorse doing away with districts as a whole.  As I understand it now, the districts are a hindrance rather than a plus.

They really are, and I dont mean to come off condescending towards you in my prior posts. A district title is meaningless now, only the conference title means anything.

I just read the VHSL site concerning the conferences.  You Union guys need to give it a rest about VHS "screwing" it up.   The schools within the conferences are basically given a free hand to decide who and how many conference teams make the conference tournament and how they want to give the 2 automatic berths to the regionals. 

Most conferences have decided to hold a tournament with the winner and runner up getting the bids.  No controversy there. 

Conference 40 stepped in it when they decided to give the conference tournament champion one of the bids and the "regular" season conference winner the other automatic bid.  To make that work, every team in the conference would have to play each other 2X.  Fine...but Conference 40 DID NOT make it mandatory.  Conference 40 could have required all schools, VHS included, to play everybody 2X.  They did not make that requirement.  So get off the Bearcat's back!  Having the Union game count double in the standings and it being on Union's home court is definitely NOT to the advantage of the Bearcats.  Having to play Central-Wise 2X would not help the Bearcats improve.  And quite honestly, neither would playing JSB 2X.  At least not this year, anyway.

You need to point your fingers at the geniuses making the conference decisions.  VHS stands to lose quite a bit in this scenario. 

(On a side note:  I officially decided to ignore a certain poster.  However, I want it known that there is no universe, plane, dimension or alter world in which that poster could be condescending toward me).

Looking over the schedules, many teams don't play all the teams in their conference twice, aside from those like the Cumberland which has the same district and conf. teams.

Is this just a Clinch Mountain Conference thing or other conferences this way too with the rule of a lone conf. team meeting counting twice?  I've been trying to keep up with the conference records too, but looks like I might as well ditch all that work.

I'm not a Union guy. From what I've been told it was Barry Reed who didn't want to play Union-Central twice and he persuaded Battle-Lebanon-Lee to vote with him, GC-Union-Central wanted round robin play. He's now forced his way out of the league maybe he'll have more fun ruining things for Richlands and the like moving forward.

Basically district play is meaningless...technically Abingdon is in the SW District and they are 3A.  Lebanon would have played round robin, except that they were required to play district games as well, which added too many games to the schedule.

I just got back home from watching a game and a half of the Bull Run District tournament.  The school my youngest will go to is in the conference with several Bull Run teams.  I asked one of the parents in attendance how they handle the conference tournament.  Here is what I was told:

Every conference 35 team gets 7 points for beating a conference team.  At the end of the season, all points earned are totaled and then divided by the number of games played in conference.  Each team is ranked in that way.  The conference tournament winner and runner up get region bids.  Everybody else is done.  The regular season is for seeding only and there is no requirement to play any conference team.  They can play each other 0, 1, 2, 3, etc times.  I looked at the Strasburg High School website.  That is where the conference standings are kept.  Several conference 35 teams have not and will not play at all in the regular season.

This is the last year for their district tournament. 

I just read the VHSL site concerning the conferences.  You Union guys need to give it a rest about VHS "screwing" it up.   The schools within the conferences are basically given a free hand to decide who and how many conference teams make the conference tournament and how they want to give the 2 automatic berths to the regionals. 

Most conferences have decided to hold a tournament with the winner and runner up getting the bids.  No controversy there. 

Conference 40 stepped in it when they decided to give the conference tournament champion one of the bids and the "regular" season conference winner the other automatic bid.  To make that work, every team in the conference would have to play each other 2X.  Fine...but Conference 40 DID NOT make it mandatory.  Conference 40 could have required all schools, VHS included, to play everybody 2X.  They did not make that requirement.  So get off the Bearcat's back!  Having the Union game count double in the standings and it being on Union's home court is definitely NOT to the advantage of the Bearcats.  Having to play Central-Wise 2X would not help the Bearcats improve.  And quite honestly, neither would playing JSB 2X.  At least not this year, anyway.

You need to point your fingers at the geniuses making the conference decisions.  VHS stands to lose quite a bit in this scenario. 

(On a side note:  I officially decided to ignore a certain poster.  However, I want it known that there is no universe, plane, dimension or alter world in which that poster could be condescending toward me).

lol if you ignore me then you'll never see this but its hilarious because you are talking about VHS losing out, but who's fault is that? VHS voted against playing teams twice, and now it could possibly come back to bite you in the ass and you don't like it.

the conference, with the rules, should have home and home's with every conference team if they decided that the regular season champion and tournament champion get auto-bids.

The conference voted, VHS included, to decide that the regular season champion would be given an automatic bid, yet the conference voted that each team did not have to play each other twice.

One of the schools voted AGAINST playing each team twice, and now its possible that tonight, it screws them out of an automatic bid to the quarter finals or whatever its called now.

Huge LOL

(And just so you know, I was not trying to be condescending before although it did come off like that, but I AM being condescending now because you proclaim superiority over me when in reality, you are just as unimportant as I am.)