TNSports-UVA Wise ready to compete for titles in NCAA Division II

trublue

Wrong, they are ready to get destroyed by their competition. UVA-W was an average team at the NAIA level, how are they gonna compete against better competition?

THIS.

D-II is no joke, and UVA-Wise is going to have to adjust very quickly or drop to D-III.  Concord proved that it could be done, but that's the exception and far from the rule.

UVA-W went up to DII instead of DIII because they wanted to be able to grant athlletic schlorships. I think the hope was that moving to the NCAA would allow them to bring in better recruits. Its not gonna happen imo.

My brother played D-II basketball several years ago.  My cousin also played D-II baseball at around the same time.  I can vouch D-II is not joke.  One could argue the gap between the D-II athlete is closer to a D-I athlete as opposed to a D-III athlete.  They will have to increase the caliber of athlete, coaching, strength and conditioning across the board if they want to be competitive.  

I have watched the rise of the South Atlantic Conference in athletics over the years.  I wouldn't think UVA Wise could compete on any level with them at this point in time.  Say what you will about UNC, it's mostly deserved, but they had a QB transfer to Catawba a few years ago for playing time toward the end of his career.  He couldn't beat out the incumbents for the starting job at Catawba after starting half the games he dressed at UNC.

The difference in a D-I athlete and a D-II athlete is often simply measureables(3" too short or short arms), as where D-III or NAIA is skill/size/measureables. It will be a decade or more before UVA-W competitive on that level, if ever.

The college wants to grow and has big plans to do so and I think they saw this move as a way to spurn that growth.