Galax vs GW

RCITYHOO

It was a game of momentum swings.  Galax jumped out to a 14-0 lead early, relaxed and GW answered with 28 straight points.  Galax rebounded in the second half to score twice but the final PAT was blocked.  Galax is ridiculously young across the board with four key upperclassmen, the rest being sophomores and freshmen.  That amount of youth will always be wildly inconsistent.  GW played stellar defense.

Similar to the Radford game, I felt Galax was in position to control the line of scrimmage and methodically wear down the other side midway through the first quarter only to have them relax.  The youth and inexperience of this group will be difficult to overcome this season but should bode well for the future.  Galax will likely lose to Giles in two weeks, probably lose to Graham as well.  Bland and Grayson will be pick-ems.

Experience is lost on the youth!

GW is a fairly young team as well, so we have our inconsistencies also. There were a few times when we had 6 sophomores in the game on offense friday night. I definitely feel your pain in that department, sixcat. In a game of swings like that one Friday, the youth for both sides definitely showed. Both teams are pretty dang good, however, young or not. 

I actually felt like this game was going to be close going into it, regardless of the Radford/GW score and the Radford/Galax score. We've improved from week to week, and I just felt our kids matched up a lot better against Galax's personnel and scheme than Radford's right out of the gate. The Bobcats completely caught us with our pants down lol.  

The Radford/GW game was indicative of the youth GW has as well.  Radford jumped on them early and it took a young GW team 3 quarters to recover.  That will diminish with time and experience.  If that game were played in week 6 of the regular season, it would be a much different outcome.

Given the youth of GW and Galax, it will be an interesting next few years.  I hope they keep each other on the regular season schedule.

It should be noted, GW held Charles Harris to 123 yards on 25 carries.  Extremely impressive given Harris has averaged 248 yards per contest thus far against Glenvar (201), Radford (270) and Rural Retreat (273).

I was actually wondering what Harris' total was. Never saw it in the papers. 

Our run D hasn't been bad this year at all, minus the first half of the Radford game lol. It's our secondary that really worries me. Lotta work to do on the back end. 

Guys all you say is true. It just amuses me that when schools that has dominated the area speaks about youth. Alot of the Single A school in the area plays a bunch of sophomores some even play freshman. Year in year out for whatever reason probably losing those kids don't stick it out so it is a vicious cycle for schools that do not have tradition.  Now that GW is in that situation they talk about it. Welcome to how the other half lives! LOL

I am not wanting to start anything because I enjoy reading the posts made by you guys very knowledgeable and give good insight. Just saying this is something most schools deals with every year and you guys are in it this year. You may be a scary sight the next couple of years though. 

Guys all you say is true. It just amuses me that when schools that has dominated the area speaks about youth. Alot of the Single A school in the area plays a bunch of sophomores some even play freshman. Year in year out for whatever reason probably losing those kids don't stick it out so it is a vicious cycle for schools that do not have tradition.  Now that GW is in that situation they talk about it. Welcome to how the other half lives! LOL

I am not wanting to start anything because I enjoy reading the posts made by you guys very knowledgeable and give good insight. Just saying this is something most schools deals with every year and you guys are in it this year. You may be a scary sight the next couple of years though. 

I don't disagree with this at all! I'm very aware of how fortunate we've been to stay competitive and not have many down classes. We're also lucky to have about 5 Seniors who can play help these young guys along. But I am extremely pleased by the play of our sophomores to this point. 

You're very right, tho. And I don't take for granted that we are capable of just reloading all the time, because at some point, we aren't going to be able to. That's just how 1A football works. 

It should be noted, GW held Charles Harris to 123 yards on 25 carries.  Extremely impressive given Harris has averaged 248 yards per contest thus far against Glenvar (201), Radford (270) and Rural Retreat (273).

Never thought any team could hold that kid to such a low total. Our D is not all that bad when we healthy and Galax's offense was really strong. I hope they start winning again cause really don't want to see them in the early rounds of playoffs. And for GW hats off to your D. Getting better cause your offense was good now if your D comes along you'll be a strong team come November as well. Good luck for the rest of the year and hope to see you both in November.

Honaker graduated 20 seniors last year! So yea Sophies and freshies running around everywhere.

Honaker graduated 20 seniors last year! So yea Sophies and freshies running around everywhere.

I knew that going into the season, so I really didn't know what to expect from Honaker. It looks as if you guys are clickin' right along quite well! 

Well just to be honest I really can't say that just yet. They have played very well to be so young but they just haven't played anybody with a pulse. I'm still waiting to see what happens against you guys. That will tell the Honaker folks exactly what we need to know. The early schedule has been good I guess to get the kids confidence up but I wanna see what happens when someone hits them back.