GC at Union

LongTimeSWVAFan

Gate City's Offense vs.The athletes and defense of Union.  Being at home is, of course, a big advantage tonight for Union. 

James ate Gate City up last year too.  Both Freshmen really stood out.  If anyone can guard GC's PG it is definitely Union.  But Look for Union to take the ball out of his hands early with a no help or some type of junk defense. (box in one of triangle in two)  

Final score:

Gate City 72 Union 70 in overtime

GC was up 69-68 with :13 left in OT, Union got fouled on a shot attempt, made both with 4.5 seconds left to take a 70-69 lead.

McClung banked in a 3 pt shot for the win.

Good game between two good teams, nice road win for the Devils.

GC didn't play their best in the second half but big time players make big plays and Mac McClung is a big time player. GC opened up a 12 point lead at the half on hot shooting by Barnes. Second half offense was a struggle and allowed Union back in it. GC gave Union a chance for the tie at the end of regulation by continuing to attack the rim. Noaks took it and banked in a 3. Mac missed a crucial FT that could've helped guarantee at least 2 OT, but got the last laugh on the game winner.

Qualls had a good game for GC and after struggling through the first half, Ervin made some big plays in the 2nd. Noaks led Union and Slagle and #4 (sorry I'm spacing on the name) hit big shots for the Bears. What an atmosphere in Big Stone tonight.

GC didn't play their best in the second half but big time players make big plays and Mac McClung is a big time player. GC opened up a 12 point lead at the half on hot shooting by Barnes. Second half offense was a struggle and allowed Union back in it. GC gave Union a chance for the tie at the end of regulation by continuing to attack the rim. Noaks took it and banked in a 3. Mac missed a crucial FT that could've helped guarantee at least 2 OT, but got the last laugh on the game winner.

Qualls had a good game for GC and after struggling through the first half, Ervin made some big plays in the 2nd. Noaks led Union and Slagle and #4 (sorry I'm spacing on the name) hit big shots for the Bears. What an atmosphere in Big Stone tonight.

Barnes hot hand in the 1st quarter was huge! Think he had 16 in the 1st quarter.

When the game comes to GC....ill be there whether I'm scheduled to work or not.

With GC up by 12 at the half was there any chance that they could put the game away in the 3rd? Or was it just streaky shooting and the vibe that Union would roar right back? The only game I've seen them maintain a high level on offense and defense with no lapses was the Ridgeview game.

Ervin not being on his game in the first half didn't help matters I'm sure with the offense sputtering.

GC girls are struggling some without Gose. She has missed the last two games. I was told tonight that she will be out 4-6 weeks. 

GC boys played a good first half. Got a little sloppy in the second half. 

Biggest thing I saw was horrible officiating. Really no excuse for such poor officiating. 

Yea if they could just manage to limp into the post season and get her back it would give the girls a huge spark.

Alot of the GCs offense works around Ervin... When he's off they seem to stumble for a little while til someone else steps up. Glad to see them in a battle tonight though. Maybe it will help wake them up and light a fire under them.

Was afraid they would look at the common opponent comparison and go home with an "L" tonight. That stuff just doesn't work.... Especially when your playing a rival at their home court.