Grundy and the future

Hokie Bound

Would it be fair to say Grundy could be a force starting next year with the new cycle and Wave moving down to 1A. I hear the coach has brought excitement to the program with the kids wanting to play the game now. Adding the wrestling coach can only help to get more participation. Head coaches are good motivators and relate to the community in an interactive way. Just the way I see kids and the communities with successful programs. Who are some other programs with a bright future in 1A West?

I think they will do OK in 1A.  They'll have a better shot at the playoffs in 1A but they still won't be able to compete with the "cream of the crop" (Galax, George Wythe, etc..) on an annual basis. 

But you have to start somewhere and they are heading in the right direction...

I think they will do OK in 1A.  They'll have a better shot at the playoffs in 1A but they still won't be able to compete with the "cream of the crop" (Galax, George Wythe, etc..) on an annual basis. 

But you have to start somewhere and they are heading in the right direction...

My thoughts exactly GMan. I see them being successful with powers like you mentioned being in another region starting next year. Grundy, Burton, Honaker, Chilhowie will be strong for their region on a yearly basis. Eastside could be a dark horse if they get the athletes in that school to start playing football.

Yeah they will roll most of the lower level teams. But there is a vast difference between teams they are used to seeing and the teams at the top. Galax, GW, PH, PM ect would beat them just as bad if not worse than Hurley did. Not a knock on Grundy but they can't compete with the top yet.

In 15 years Grundy has dropped two classifications and Buchanan County has closed Whitewood and Garden. Council essentially stays open due to geography alone and every school in the county is losing students.

Grundy and Buchanan County''s future lies in consolidation. A school of Grundy - Hurley - Twin Valley kids might could compete at the 2A level. As is, there is no hope at any level, sadly.