GC @ Abingdon Predictions

RiverRat24

Anyone got to see the Falcons play this year? I know nothing about Abingdon other than their record. I think GC wins it pretty easily based on their wins and losses but I figured they would handle Lee with ease as well. Also wonder if it would benefit Zac to take this game off just to mend up a little faster. He looked pretty rough last night. I'll say GC by 25 pts no matter who plays.

Edit: Spoke with Scotty and Ervin will play. Said he's hopeful that he feels better tonight than he did last night.

GC wins 78-58. Devils didn't look overly impressive tonight but the game was never really in question. Abingdon hit alot of deep balls in the first half every time GC was close to breaking it open. GC was also up close to 20 in the 3rd and let the falcons cut it back to 10 before GC stretched it out again at the end. Dean still hasn't found his shot from deep yet and Ervin was still rusty shooting the ball but made some nice drives to the bucket. Good win for the Devils! One game at a time.

Not to make it sound like Ervin didn't have a good game. He still dropped 25 pts...But he's still knocking the rust off with his 3 pt shots. Dean is struggling the most to get his shot to fall though. He's taking the ball to the rack more now that he's in a shooting slump. Collier had a much better game tonight. Compton, McClung, and Ervin found him several times wide open after the dribble drive. Ultimately the scoring was fine tonight....Just the lack of defense on the backdoor cuts and lack of rebounding that's still killing them against teams they should beat handily.

McClung 28

Ervin 25

Collier 11

Dean 9

Vermillion 3

Compton 2

GC wins 78-58. Devils didn't look overly impressive tonight but the game was never really in question. Abingdon hit alot of deep balls in the first half every time GC was close to breaking it open. GC was also up close to 20 in the 3rd and let the falcons cut it back to 10 before GC stretched it out again at the end. Dean still hasn't found his shot from deep yet and Ervin was still rusty shooting the ball but made some nice drives to the bucket. Good win for the Devils! One game at a time

Sounded like it was in question when GC was only up 1 point at the half to me.

Don't get me wrong, i'll gladly take the 20 point win after the big game last night. But we are letting teams play with us that shouldn't be within 20 points at the half.

Nope....not really. I never felt that way anyhow. I felt sure they would blow it open in the 2nd half...And they did twice. Just never put it out of reach as much as I thought they would. Just some sloppy play from GC when they had the chance to put the game away. Never once seemed like Abingdon was gonna sustain the surge they made in the first half though.

And I agree....I felt like this game should have been a 30-35 pt game even after pulling starters at about the 5 min mark. But they just wasn't sharp tonight and didn't capitalize when they had the chance to blow it open. Still no rebounding.

This is a completely different Gate City team from previous years. Their defense is horrible. It is very similar to watching a pick-up game. They wait for the big 3 to outscore their opponents. I'm not sure if that style of play will win a state championship when they run into teams that can stop Gate City from scoring. A lot of talent but the coaching is extremely hands off this season.

When the competition starts picking up I think GC will pick up their level of play on both ends. They proved in the Arbys they can play with pretty much anyone around no matter of the classification. I just wish there was some tougher competition at the end of GCs schedule. Not much the Devils can do about that though really.....District is pretty weak this year.

GC plays pretty good defense around the perimeter and get alot of steals. It's inside that they struggle with the most. If whoever they play makes sloppy passes around the arc it usually results in a quick transition buckets. Compton and Noe are starting to get more PT....And for good reason. Those guys will get after it.