Galax at Radford

Fairlawncat

Well, this right here is going to tell me much about my team. We are playing a nasty opponent that is well coached, busts you in the face, and has talent and skill. Gate City punched us in the face and we barely recovered. Galax can and will punch harder. 

For Radford, we have as much talent on this team as we did in the 2018 year that beat Appomattox. We may have more, BUT.....that is not the same thing as being as good.  Our team at this point is physically not as tough as it needs to be. Nothing in toughness like 2018. It has the potential to be. Radford really has a high ceiling this year with our skill and speed, but reaching that ceiling is a tall task because it requires mental toughness and we do not yet have the mental toughness of the team from 2018. 

This game is just going to be a toss up in my opinion. It will tell us much more about how well the Bobcats have the chance to do come playoff time.  We Quietly did look our best of the season against Fort Chiswell. That's a good sign.

Galax caoching staff was horrendous Friday night. The kids played extrememly hard but had a lot of penalties that caused I think three touchdowns get called back and never could get in a rythym because it seemed every big play got a penalty.  Besides that their kids played Hard nose football that Galax always does.

But I have not seen a coaching staff look as lost for three quarters as I did Friday Carroll county completely shut down the run in the second half  that Galax was getting huge chunks on in the 1st half. And yet Galax kept running the same play and was getting stuffed each time. Galax not once tried to adjust to it.  Carroll kept running unbalaneced right the whole third quarter and Galax never shifted to it alignment wise. Allen about lost the game for them. That was something I am sure had the Galax faithful scratching their heads. Radford will when by 3 or 4 scores if the coaching staff doesn't pull their heads out. 

OH and the Gosnell kid is the real deal at QB. 

Trying to look on the bright side here and I'm hoping the coaching staff is just trying to do enough to win without showing alot to future opponents, hoping they open up the playbook a little more against Radford. I still believe this is a good team but we have to clean up the mistakes and be more diverse on offense.

1. Galax did look uncharacteristically out of sorts. They looked sharp first three offensive an defensive series, although I think the two tds called back and the insane amount of penalties killed their rythym. 

2. I was curious about not adjusting to the unbalanced formation as well. 

3. Carroll done a fantastic job adjusting to stop our inside runs second half, in which we didn't do anything to adjust on our behalf. 

4. Thet ran the ball to the same side all night to keep it out of Benjis broke hand but we never picked up on that. Lol 

5. And yes Benji playing QB completely changed the game in my opinion. He is a great athlete. 

6. That last play will be talked about for years. 

7. Galax has a great team but the play calling was extremely limited and vanilla. No counters, no jet sweeps, no pitches to outside to take advantage of their speed. Confusing to me but they know alot more than I do so it's just my humble opinion. 

8. Radford will be a battle 

I was told we might have one of our top lineman out this morning. We got lots of speed and athleticism on the outside with depth, but the starting line is pretty good, but doesn't have much depth. Galax seems to be always strong on the line, so this could hurt us a bunch if he is out. Safe travels for the folks coming from down around route 58.

5 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I was told we might have one of our top lineman out this morning. We got lots of speed and athleticism on the outside with depth, but the starting line is pretty good, but doesn't have much depth. Galax seems to be always strong on the line, so this could hurt us a bunch if he is out. Safe travels for the folks coming from down around route 58.

Probably won't make a difference if Galax doesn't clean up the mistakes and open up the play book but we'll see. I do believe Galax will be one of the more physical teams Radford has faced so far so we'll see how that plays out as well.

Wow, that was a heck of a game and comeback by Galax.  I was really impressed with Galax's QB and their run defense up front.  Solid team that deserved to win the game.  Hopefully the Bobcats can regroup and be ready to get back in the W column.  Congrats to Galax on the win.  Classy program.