would this be a possible solution to the cancelled games problem?

60minuteMan

Say the VHSL mandated that week 8 of each season, be every schools bye week. On that week, any team that had a game cancelled on them, or have one coming up, should have no problem finding a replacement game. What say you?

30 minutes ago, 60minuteMan said:

Say the VHSL mandated that week 8 of each season, be every schools bye week. On that week, any team that had a game cancelled on them, or have one coming up, should have no problem finding a replacement game. What say you?

That would be very helpful, but here's the problem.  Border schools.  Schools along the WV, NC, Kentucky, TN, DC, Maryland line that play out of state schools to fill their schedules to where the out of state schools must play for that specific given date; otherwise, no game played.  If after week 8, the bye week was mandated, then many schools would only start the season with 9 games on the schedule, because after all, if the bye week is mandated, then this means it's mandated and you can't play a game during by week unless you have been cancelled on.

I think the best solution for teams that cancel are prevention BEFORE the cancellation and Consequences after the cancellation.  Not punishment, but consequences.

1.  If you don't have 23 dressed in uniform in game one, you don't have a season, period.

2.  If you cancel at any point in the season, then all of the other district teams do not have to schedule you if they so choose for the next 2 seasons.  If they want to schedule you, then they can, but if they don't want to, they don't have to until 2 years.

If you do the 2 above, you ensure the AD thinks twice about whether to give it a go Before the season starts.  You also ensure the AD thinks twice about cancelling late in the season after the injuries occur to the already limited 23 person roster because other teams in the district are going to be protected with scheduling for the next 2 years.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:01 PM, 60minuteMan said:

No. Only thing that’s going to end it is strict and financial penalties that must be strictly enforced.  Also, may have to fire a few Principals, ADs, Coaches, and maybe add a Superintendent or two to that.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, Cousin_Hoyt said:

No. Only thing that’s going to end it is strict and financial penalties that must be strictly enforced.  Also, may have to fire a few Principals, ADs, Coaches, and maybe add a Superintendent or two to that.

Don't really see how penalties, financial or otherwise, helps struggling programs. Several teams would probably just fold their programs and say why bother. But I see your reasoning.

19 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

He's being facetious.

OK. But my reasoning for being against punishments or penalties, of any kind,  on schools that have to cancel games and seasons is this, schedules are made 1 to 2 years in advance. I bet 90% of schools already have their 2023/2024 schedules done and done. At schools like Bland and Craig,  A coach, AD, Principle, or whoever, has to get a schedule in place, not knowing for sure they will be able to field a team. They're hoping for the best, but really no way to safeguard against the worst.

I agree with you.  The only thing I argue is. Something has to be done Different than the present.  You have some people (usually the fans of teams that have cancelled seasons) that simply will argue, give a negative comment, or resist ANY offer of change from status quo.  It's exactly why you got the response from Hoyt.  His attempt to maintain status quo was simply delivered in hyperbole and sarcism, but make no mistake, there was intent behind it.  We can't simply "stay the course" and have the mentality that, "if a team cancels, oh well, they tried, and the other teams just need to suck it up."  I simply don't accept that side of the equation.  

Financial penalties and firings are obviously insane and over the top and just crazy talk, but....future scheduling limitations and minimal numbers required to start a season should be in the discussion.  That's reasonable and within the ballpark.

• GMan locked this topic