Ballard Lee Tip-off (VA High)

Wade_1

GW comes out with a solid victory vs John Battle to win the tournament. With freshman David Goode as their leading scorer with 16 points. Goode is a key player to this program. With GW missing 2 plays due to football they still got the job done. 

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Was kind of surprised to see Honaker girls beat Ridgeview for the girls title.  I was thinking Honaker was going to be down a little bit this year.

I thought Honaker graduated more 2 years ago than they did last year as far as contributors go.  They are loaded again.

18 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Saw that Ridgeview girls beat Burton last night.  From what I have heard about Burton, that seems like a good quality win for the Lady Wolfpack.

Don't know if I would call it a quality win, but a win is a win.

Not sure I call beating Burton a quality win, more like a should win.  Ridgeview is deeper, quicker, and should be able to handle Burton by 15 pts +.  Burton does have some talent and could potentially have a big game and give you a scare but in reality they shouldn't beat the top 2A schools.  On the other hand, they will be a factor in some 1A games.  I don't think they will be able to handle Honaker but I will be interested in seeing them play Eastside and Twin Springs this season.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, 1inStripes said:

I thought Honaker graduated more 2 years ago than they did last year as far as contributors go.  They are loaded again.

Remember the Boyd man that built Honaker up into a powerhouse about 5-7 years ago bringing in transfers through the AAU circuit. There was definitely some talent there then. His kids have graduated and the program is still pretty good but not what it was when he was involved.

4 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Remember the Boyd man that built Honaker up into a powerhouse about 5-7 years ago bringing in transfers through the AAU circuit. There was definitely some talent there then. His kids have graduated and the program is still pretty good but not what it was when he was involved.

really!!!,  

2 hours ago, stantheman said:

really!!!,  

Yes really. Did he go on to coach at a local college? Southwest maybe? It didn't seem to be a secret. Honaker has always been mostly competitive in all sports on a yearly basis. Thats a credit to the kids, coaches, and the community. Honaker had a solid run of athletes and lost to Altavista in both football and basketball. Juan Thornhill played for Altavista during this time frame. I think of Coach Hubbard when I hear someone mention Honaker. Seems like he coached there forever.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:58 PM, SportsLover54 said:

GW comes out with a solid victory vs John Battle to win the tournament. With freshman David Goode as their leading scorer with 16 points. Goode is a key player to this program. With GW missing 2 plays due to football they still got the job done. 

GW will be a handful for anyone on their schedule. Seem to be getting back to the GW of old now in both football and basketball.

5 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Yes really. Did he go on to coach at a local college? Southwest maybe? It didn't seem to be a secret. Honaker has always been mostly competitive in all sports on a yearly basis. Thats a credit to the kids, coaches, and the community. Honaker had a solid run of athletes and lost to Altavista in both football and basketball. Juan Thornhill played for Altavista during this time frame. I think of Coach Hubbard when I hear someone mention Honaker. Seems like he coached there forever.

i don't think he was involved with the girls program,  and yes his kids jumped around every school in swva seems like

11 hours ago, stantheman said:

i don't think he was involved with the girls program,  and yes his kids jumped around every school in swva seems like

No not the girls program. Rumor was he was running an AAU program and got a few good transfers for the boys program. One was about 6'8 can't remember his name but I think he went on to play college ball somewhere. I remember another one about 6'4 I think his last name was Anderson. Don't know much about the girls program other than they have one heck of a coach who has been very successful.

You are thinking about Scotty Boyd.  He did "coach" an AAU team for many years that included such big local names as Mac McClung, Zack Ervin, Cade Hungate, James Mitchell, Thomas Francisco and quite a few more very talented athletes.  Not much coaching needed when you have that kind of talent pool.  He transferred his kids from Abingdon to Honaker when his oldest son was either a freshman or sophomore in high school I think.  He now coaches at Southwest VA Community College.  I cannot remember all the transfers to Honaker while they were there but I know there were a few.  It was rumored that he wanted to transfer his oldest son to play at Gate City with McClung but Vermillion didn't want him and/or the hassle of dealing with an ineligible transfer.